US DOT: Federal Automated Vehicles Policy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegGuheert

According to this article in The Detroit News, the NHTSA will release their initial guidelines for autonomous vehicles today entitled "Federal Automated Vehicles Policy":
The Detroit News said:
The federal guidelines are meant to outline best practices for the safe design, development and testing of automated vehicles prior to commercial sale or operation on public roads.

They lay out a 15-point safety assessment for manufacturers developing and deploying automated vehicle technologies that range from data recording and sharing of information, to vehicle cybersecurity protocols.
Also:
The Detroit News said:
Regulators say they will use their existing authority to investigate and recall automated vehicles that pose a risk to public safety, and will look to Congress for the tools to aid in that enforcement and regulation.

While this does not relate to the Federal DOT regulations, I'll put it into this thread since it relates to government regulation of autonomous vehicles:

State regulators demand Uber halt self-driving car program, threaten legal action
San Jose Mercury News said:
SAN FRANCISCO — In a challenge to state authority, Uber is refusing to seek a permit for the self-driving cars it rolled out in San Francisco on Wednesday, prompting California regulators to immediately attempt to shut down the program.

The Department of Motor Vehicles, which regulates the use of autonomous vehicles on the state’s roadways, demanded that Uber obtain the proper permit or face legal action. Until Uber complies, regulators wrote Wednesday in a letter to Uber, the company must stop testing its cars on public streets.

“These requirements serve to build public trust in the safety of the technology and to foster confidence in allowing autonomous vehicles on public streets,” DMV deputy director and chief counsel Brian Soublet wrote in the letter. “Had Uber obtained an autonomous vehicle testing permit prior to today, the company’s launch would have been permissible. However, it is illegal for the company to operate its self-driving vehicles on public roads until it receives on autonomous vehicle testing permit.”
I'm with the government on this one. It is completely over the top for Uber to think they can conduct their testing of this new technology on public roads with following the permitting process. To put their financial interests above the safety concerns of others who have no financial interest in this development is the height of arrogance, IMO.

It will be interesting to see this one play out.

Back