J.D. Power: automakers spending billions on technologies many consumers don’t use

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
Via GCC:
J.D. Power: automakers spending billions on technologies many consumers don’t use; user preferences for smartphones and tablets
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/08/20150826-jdp.html

IMHO, they missed the most important reason - technology life cycle. The technology in a car is obsolete by the time the car hits the show room. By contrast, your phone is kept up to date via continuous updates. Plus most people upgrade to a new phone every two years or so, but may keep a car for 10 years or more. Think about technology from 10 years ago - why would you use that when you have today's tech literally in the palm of your hand?

Tesla is making strides to change this model but I don't see any of the "old school" automakers following suit.

I tend to agree with the idea. A lot of the gadgets my LEAF came with are of no interest to me, such as bluetooth, the satellite radio, and so on. I rarely use the navigation, because I can't go anywhere in my short-range LEAF that isn't already familiar to me. And the LEAF is relatively primitive compared to the gadgets cars are coming with now. To me, more gadgets means more things to break and need fixing.

Not that it will ever happen, but I'd like to see all phone connection devices, and phone usage of any kind by drivers, banned. The distraction caused by phone calls or texting is still considerable even when using the "hands-free" methods; it is the thinking about the phone/text that is a big distraction from paying attention to one's driving, according to the research I've read.

Which makes me a Luddite by today's standards, I suppose.

I love gadgets. Parking assist, around view, radar cruise, give it all to me. Even GPS I like. Sure, it's a bit outdated in 5 years, but it still works fine. Bluetooth audio is a must since I keep all audio on my phone.

dgpcolorado said:
I tend to agree with the idea. A lot of the gadgets my LEAF came with are of no interest to me, such as bluetooth, the satellite radio, and so on. I rarely use the navigation, because I can't go anywhere in my short-range LEAF that isn't already familiar to me. And the LEAF is relatively primitive compared to the gadgets cars are coming with now. To me, more gadgets means more things to break and need fixing.

Not that it will ever happen, but I'd like to see all phone connection devices, and phone usage of any kind by drivers, banned. The distraction caused by phone calls or texting is still considerable even when using the "hands-free" methods; it is the thinking about the phone/text that is a big distraction from paying attention to one's driving, according to the research I've read.

Which makes me a Luddite by today's standards, I suppose.
Welcome, fellow Luddite! :lol:

GRA said:
Welcome, fellow Luddite! :lol:
Maybe I'm a Luddite too... I enjoyed my i-MiEV because of its incredibly simple dash and near distraction-free driving experience. I preferred the LEAF "S" model because of its regular radio (that could be replaced with a double-DIN unit if I felt the need -- I haven't so far) and fewer gadgets. I want to DRIVE! The German auto makers are mocked for having a lack of cupholders and technology in their cars, but Germans are also much more focused on driving than texting.

Clearly this is a pet peeve of mine but I think people should worry about driving and not about their electronic toys and being 'connected.' This is partly why you can't buy manual transmission vehicles in America, because the younger generations (in America, this does not apply to Europe) are more concerned with being connected while they drive than the experience of driving. Put me in the luddite category too.

And yes, I have an EV, a smartphone, a tablet, two connected cars and manual transmission vehicles.

asimba2 said:
Clearly this is a pet peeve of mine but I think people should worry about driving and not about their electronic toys and being 'connected.' This is partly why you can't buy manual transmission vehicles in America, because the younger generations (in America, this does not apply to Europe) are more concerned with being connected while they drive than the experience of driving. Put me in the luddite category too.

And yes, I have an EV, a smartphone, a tablet, two connected cars and manual transmission vehicles.
Still using a clutch here, too. That will be my one big regret when I finally transition to an EV (of whatever type); no more shifting for myself. The best I can do will be to play with regen level via paddles, and while that's better than nothing it's hardly the same level of 'connection' to driving, or a test of coordination like a well-executed double-clutch downshift. Much as I love to collect stats, watching efficiency numbers etc. while driving is exactly the kind of distraction I don't want.

Of course, most driving now is just boring (interstate cruising) or stressful (stop and go or heavy urban traffic), so autonomous EVs are fine by me, but it would still be nice to be able to drive the car where it's fun to do so, with adequate feedback from the car (driving feel, not some idiotic robot voice).

I drive my 2002 Tundra truck pretty infrequently, but when I do I am often reminded how much I miss simplicity. The AC is set by mechanical knobs so that there is no changing from recirculate to outside air when I cycle through the modes to adjust the vents. I set warm/cool rather than a temperature (Leaf's climate control is just awful). No XM that I will never pay for, and hate cycling through. Dial speed indicator instead of annoying digital readout (and the speed is not off by 4-5% either). I barely ever use the cruise control, even on road trips.

The only widget I wish the truck had that my Leaf does have is the USB input to let me listed to podcasts or music without an FM transmitter widget.

On the whole I think it is pretty dumb idea to put the latest fad stuff into a car that will likely be on the road for the next 15-20 years. At least I can easily swap out of the trucks radio if I want to go beyond CD/cassette capability, not so easy on the Leaf. Having the navigation system be a one-off proprietary system that cannot be easily replaced or upgraded at a fair price is horrible, but it is the reality we are in for the foreseeable future.

From the automobilemag.com review of the 2016 Volt, a partial win for we Luddites:
Inside, Chevy got smart and realized that “conventional but simple” is better than “splashy but exasperating.” In place of the old Volt’s nasty touch controls are rotary knobs and simple buttons for the climate-control system -- a massive improvement. Both the driver and center-stack digital displays feature larger, 8-inch screens; a rear-vision camera that projects onto the central display is standard. Options include heated rear seats, a heated steering wheel, and navigation.

OTOH:
The new Volt is also the first GM car to offer Apple CarPlay. Available directly through the Volt’s Settings menu, CarPlay allows users of iPhones with Lightning connectors to access Siri: Eyes Free text-message alerts, Maps, iMessage, Apple Music, and, of course, the phone itself. I must admit that I was startled when Siri spoke up unexpectedly, offering to read me an incoming text. But the system works beautifully. I had to laugh when Siri starting reading the text’s emoticons aloud: “Clapping hands. Clapping hands. Clapping hands.”

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1511-2016-chevrolet-volt-review/#ixzz3kXKGAM2w

Back