Backup SUV for everything else...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asimba2

I am guessing I am not the only one here that also has a gas guzzling SUV. As much as I love our Leaf, I seem to need the SUV at least every-other week to tow something heavy, drag something big home or need 4WD for exploring or skiing.

It is unlikely I ever sell the SUV, but if I do, it would be for something that offers a level of capability that is 80% of what this will do and has a "sustain charge" button that I can use to have the battery full by the time I get to the trailhead and the ability to do the next 30 miles of the trail in silent, all-electric mode. I think it will be 15+ years before something like that is ever produced. In the meantime, I will love the heck out of this one.

Anyone else have an SUV, or will I now be demonized and banned for admitting I have one? :)

We have a compact AWD SUV (or CUV if you prefer) for much the same reasons... It'll easily tow 3,500 pounds and we have never had a need for more than that... It is a turbocharged 4...

asimba2 said:
Anyone else have an SUV, or will I now be demonized and banned for admitting I have one? :)

I borrow the DIL's Chevy Tahoe for stuff that won't fit in the LEAF or the Volt, but for really heavy duty hauling we borrow the ex-SIL's Deuce-and-a-half:

gmc-cckw-353.jpg

Here it is loaded with a few peices of plywood:

deuce.JPG

Not a fan of the SUV form factor, but we love our Subaru Baja.
Had to use it yesterday when my wife found an 8 foot tall cat tree at the pet store that our cat "needed." ;-)

desiv

TomT said:
We have a compact AWD SUV (or CUV if you prefer) for much the same reasons... It'll easily tow 3,500 pounds and we have never had a need for more than that... It is a turbocharged 4...

asimba2 said:

Our trip/utility vehicle is a VW Touareg; rated for 7,700 towing but that will come later with cars on trailers I plan to restore. It also serves winter duty and for trips to FL to see the relatives as well as a 'high rider' for those who have trouble getting into sedans. If VW ever makes the CrossBlue Coupe as a PHEV, we would swap the LEAF and the Touareg but for now we have both (and 2 other cars between 3 drivers). Love EV's but with gas so cheap, you'll continue to see ICE SUV's around for quite awhile or until someone brings an alternative.

Here's mine:

14732319524_308fc6f23f_z.jpg

It gets pretty decent mileage, typically 23 mpg and 25-28 on long trips, for a fully off-road capable SUV. And it is my only backup car to the LEAF (which gets the large majority of my mileage, of course).

17322955602_fde70287c2_z.jpg

17324821345_249acf03f9_z.jpg

17137315790_7729c2270e_z.jpg

This is my home county in summer; it isn't flat around here...

asimba2 said:
It is unlikely I ever sell this thing, but if I do, it would be for something that offers a level of capability that is 80% of what this will do and has a "sustain charge" button that I can use to have the battery full by the time I get to the trailhead and the ability to do the next 30 miles of the trail in silent, all-electric mode. I think it will be 15+ years before something like that is ever produced.
The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV already gets very close to meeting those specs.

Cool 4x4. I've always wanted a SUV for that purpose but just can't see myself using it enough to make it worth it.

drees said:
asimba2 said:
It is unlikely I ever sell this thing, but if I do, it would be for something that offers a level of capability that is 80% of what this will do and has a "sustain charge" button that I can use to have the battery full by the time I get to the trailhead and the ability to do the next 30 miles of the trail in silent, all-electric mode. I think it will be 15+ years before something like that is ever produced.
The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV already gets very close to meeting those specs.

Cool 4x4. I've always wanted a SUV for that purpose but just can't see myself using it enough to make it worth it.

.... but, it's still not available in the U.S. yet; would still question its reliability/viability once it does get here as Mitsu's reputation is not on the same level as a number of other makes & models; the little iMiEV is certainly cheap so perhaps not that much of a factor but this thing runs £28,249 to £39,999 (Includes £5,000 Government Plug-in Car Grant) currently in the UK (equivalent of $43K to $61K USD) so certainly not a throw away

Back