RAIN-X ! Try it! You'll love it!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RAIN-X I don't know if many of you have heard of this or not....but with our vehicles running totally on electric, thought you might be interested in how you can prevent having to use your windshield wipers in the rain to conserve electricity usage. If you apply this stuff to your windshield (and other windows too if you want) you can drive while it's raining without having to use your windshield wipers! :D The faster you are driving....about 35 mph or faster....the better. It's only when you are in stop and go traffic or going 35 mph or under that you might need to use your wipers. It's pretty cool when you get going above 35 mph and you are just watching the rain 'bead-up' and roll up and off your windshield. Be careful though....you can get a little mesmerized by it! It's funny, seeing everyone else with their wipers on full speed....and I'm driving along with no wipers on! :p

DozerLEAF said:
RAIN-X...to conserve electricity usage.
I'm sure it's a great and cool product, but I don't think it saves that much energy. ;)

i.e., What do wiper motors consume, maybe 50 Watts (each, tops)? So if you're driving in the rain for 2 hours, you'll save (generously) ~0.2kWh, 3 cents, and extend your range by about a mile? Might be worth it for other reasons, but not "energy" or financial, imho...

mbender said:
DozerLEAF said:
RAIN-X...to conserve electricity usage.
I'm sure it's a great and cool product, but I don't think it saves that much energy. ;)

i.e., What do wiper motors consume, maybe 50 Watts (each, tops)? So if you're driving in the rain for 2 hours, you'll save (generously) ~0.2kWh, 3 cents, and extend your range by about a mile? Might be worth it for other reasons, but not "energy" or financial, imho...

No, you don't understand - you put it on the whole body and it slips through the air easier! :lol:

It's cool stuff. But, once it starts to wear off, I definitely don't love the chattering wipers that result from a partially rain-x'd windshield.

So be sure you're ok with a regular regimen of re-applying to maintain the coating.

I've tried it several times over the years. Yeah it's neat to see the water roll off the windshield, but ultimately I always end up deciding it's not worth the hassle to maintain. Some things are just good enough. Good wipers do a good enough job.

I've used their washer fluid exclusively for years now and I love it. After using it for a bit the rain beads and I find I use a lot less washer fluid because of it. In the winter with cheap blue stuff I use to use 2 or 3 jugs. Now I use about 1 to 2 and I don't even go through a whole jug in the summer.

Just dont put it on the inside of the windshield in hopes it would reduce fogging. It makes it worse! Carry a rag like an old time vw driver.

LeftieBiker said:
Some states probably require that you use your wipers when it rains. I'll bet NY is one of them.
California, requires you to have your lights on when the wipers are on. With Rain-X, you can leave your lights off, if you aren't running the wipers. :lol:

pchilds said:
LeftieBiker said:
Some states probably require that you use your wipers when it rains. I'll bet NY is one of them.
California, requires you to have your lights on when the wipers are on. With Rain-X, you can leave your lights off, if you aren't running the wipers. :lol:
Put your lights on anyway, so the jerks with streaked, dirty windshields and worn wiper blades can see you. Not worth the hassle of getting smacked in the rain just to save a few kwh.

JohnBike said:
... Not worth the hassle of getting smacked in the rain just to save a few kwh.
Make that a few hundred "watt•hours". Even the non LED headlights don't draw much power compared to what it takes to move the car. If the two headlights draw 130 watts, the draw might be about 150 watts for all the lights. That would take more than six hours of use to use up a single kWh.

Turning on the lights has a trivial impact on range. Just driving in heavy rain would be a bigger hit to the range.

FWIW.

Back