This might be my range extender

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnrhansen

The logic is, if I need to take more than myself on a road trip, we can take their car. If I have to go more than once charging stop, I might just take this car. It's cheap, gets 85 miles per gallon, and shouldn't cost much to insure. What do you all think, or have heard about this car?

http://www.eliomotors.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I paid the $100 for some reason?to get on their wait list.I'll probably buy 1 .Very in-exspensive.I'll look like the town idiot :).But, I like new stuff auto.This is for sure new. Really doesn't do much better on mpg them my cmax energI. though.

Ha. I'm used to being the town idiot. I like it because I can have it for road trips, but it won't take up much space in my garage. I'll still be using the leaf for most of my miles. It's taking a chance I know.. but I'm used to that too, buying my leaf.

Worse gas mileage than a motorcycle.
Takes up more garage space than a motorcycle.

Have you considered a motorcycle? :cool:

I guess this will be a bit safer than a motorcycle, but it doesn't have to meet the same safety standards as a car, so it's hard to say just how safe (Elio Motors - Safety).

It looks like the Corbin Sparrow which was an EV. That product was unsuccessful after huge publicity and lots of money spent. I hope Elio has more success. It looks interesting, also reminds me of the new Morgan 3 wheeler.

I'd get one of those just because I quite like the car!

More spec details would help, though.

That sort of mpg is not exactly 'unbeatable' in small euro diesels, though. The 5 seater Skoda Fabia 1.2 TDi achieved over 120 mpg (imp), 100 mpg (US), on a test drive.

.. I'd still like one of these, though! And I'd certainly enquire about buying a rolling shell and consider adding my own EV power train. They could really make a killing on that if they can act fast and work something out. Tesla seem willing to help other VMs out with power train and battery ideas. Maybe there could be a joint opportunity there. I'd love to get an EV like this next. The XL1 is just a bit past my price range! :cry:

There is more to this too - the advent of smaller vehicle start-ups. This is really great if it can continue. With more flexible manufacturing techniques than ever before and a supplier base ready to deliver to small volumes, it feels to me as if we are witnessing the revival of small motor manufacturers. And that can only be a Really Good Thing in my book!

LeftieBiker said:
There is already a topic or two on this car - search "elio". I'd rather drive one of these in the rain, but I'd also prefer an EV version.
IE - Aptera . . . . another nice hunk of vaporware that never came to be.

I believe one issue that all these designs face is that some states (MA included I believe) classify motorcycles as open (i.e. no shell) and once you put the shell around it it becomes a car. In order to register the "car" you have to meet all safety testing/compliance which these have difficulty passing.

So before you go put money down on one of these, be certain you can actually register it in your state.

I consider this a problem with RMV policies, but not one easily changed (is anything in government regulation easily changed?).

Back