Saw this Headline today online

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graffi

Pope Francis: Immigrant Children Must Be 'Welcomed And Protected'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/15/pope-francis-immigrant-children_n_5588442.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Before reading this article my first thought was that the Pope was asking for the USA Immigration Service to transport all these kids to Rome so the Vatican can take care of them.

After reading the article is seems that he Does not want them in Rome, but here in the USA. Maybe we should just send them all there to the POPE so he can "Welcome And Protect" them. Just my thoughts.

I have friends that are LEGAL Immigrants. Some waited almost 10 years for their quota number to come up so they could come here legally. What are we telling those that come here Legally if we were to allow those who enter this country as criminals to stay???

Graffi said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/15/pope-francis-immigrant-children_n_5588442.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Before reading this article my first thought was that the Pope was asking for the USA Immigration Service to transport all these kids to Rome so the Vatican can take care of them.

After reading the article is seems that he Does not want them in Rome, but here in the USA. Maybe we should just send them all there to the POPE so he can "Welcome And Protect" them. Just my thoughts.

I have friends that are LEGAL Immigrants. Some waited almost 10 years for their quota number to come up so they could come here legally. What are we telling those that come here Legally if we were to allow those who enter this country as criminals to stay???

What do we tell the children whose parents were so desperate that they risked sending them on such a dangerous journey? "Wait 10 years. Good Luck"? More importantly, what do we tell ourselves when we refuse aid to children who seem to be refugees rather than immigrants?

My grandparents were immigrants also, but it was a time when we actually seemed to believe the inscription on the Statue of Liberty:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
"

So, yeah. If we're no longer great enough to admit some child refugees to begin new lives as Americans, then send them to the Pope. I'm sure he will handle it with more decency than some of our citizens seem to be capable of.

+1^2

Graffi said:

Graffi said:

these kids are mot criminals. They are minors who cant be held responsible for their actions.

one of the worst traits of humankind in my opinion is the ability to be comfortable while others are suffering.

Since the US has been meddling, over the decades - lethally and illegally - in the affairs of the countries from which these children are coming, it seems pretty pathetic to call *them* "criminals." But then the US has always been short on charity and long on military "intervention."

johnrhansen said:
one of the worst traits of humankind in my opinion is the ability to be comfortable while others are suffering.
The solution is drag them down so they are suffering too?

Some said the people of Iraq and Afghanistan were suffering and there was no end to the grief over intervening. I wish you all would make up your minds, intervention or isolation.

You guys must have missed the memo...

1105.png

:cry:

LTLFTcomposite said:
johnrhansen said:
The solution is drag them down so they are suffering too?

You're not going to suffer because of these kids. Immigrants have always been an important part of the social energy tht keeps this country moving forward through hard work, ambition, and an appreciation of our system that the native-born can sometimes become complacent about. These are people who are likely to be contributing to the system when you are a benificiary in your old age.

Nubo said:
You're not going to suffer because of these kids. Immigrants have always been an important part of the social energy tht keeps this country moving forward through hard work, ambition, and an appreciation of our system that the native-born can sometimes become complacent about. These are people who are likely to be contributing to the system when you are a benificiary in your old age.
But if we are constantly robbing other nations of their best and brightest how do conditions in their homelands ever improve? Is the solution to the world's problems to have everyone move here? I hope the ones that go to CA are willing to abide by the new water restrictions.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Nubo said:
But if we are constantly robbing other nations of their best and brightest how do conditions in their homelands ever improve? Is the solution to the world's problems to have everyone move here? I hope the ones that go to CA are willing to abide by the new water restrictions.

It's really easy to not do anything about what is wrong in the rest of the world when the suffering is not felt here. Well now we are starting to feel it. The solution is not to seal the borders and let problems fester outside it until even that strong fence can't hold them out. What needs to be done is to have a little charity and help people elsewhere so they don't want to come here. Just how desperate do you have to be to send your own kid away because there is nothing you can do for them. It must be terrible for them over there.

sigh... Ok, I'll bite.
Without getting into the whole WWJD, It seems to me the current setup (while currently terribly understaffed/underfunded) is at least on the right track.
If the children from these countries have relatives in the U.S. they should be allowed to stay here (with relatives) while they make their case in court (and they should be given the means to do so).
If they can't justify staying, send them back.
If they don't have anyone in the U.S. to care for them, send them back.
Cold I know.. but such is reality.

Instead of griping about the current fiasco we should be pressing our legislators to pass the fracking Comprehensive immigration bill.. sheez.

Saw this quote today: "It's not quite fair to call this a do-nothing Congress.. It's really a do-the-bare-minimum-at-the-last-possible-moment-to-keep-the-country-from-actually-collapsing Congress."

Vote for whoever will work with their fellow legislators to GET SOMETHING DONE!

LTLFTcomposite said:

We are not robbing anyone, these places are so rotten that people just want to leave.

As long as the US (and the other rich countries that are targets of mass immigration) can teach them our core values, in the long run it is good for us.

The US is a really big country, you could easily cram 4 times as many people into it, and still everyone would be comfortable.

This "the boat is full" mentality is irrational.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Nubo said:
Abide by the restrictions? I suspect people coming from ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD use much, much less water each day than ANY citizen of the US. The best thing that could happen to reduce CA water consumption would be for Californians to trade places with everyone from Central America.

(That's a thumbnail sketch of comparative per capita water consumption, not a slur against any Californian, living or dead.)
image.jpg

AndyH said:
You guys must have missed the memo...

1105.png

:cry:

Haha Nice One AndyH!!!

I definitely think we should let these kids stay as long as they are not committing crimes other than sneaking across the border. Conditions in Mexico and many countries in South America are atrocious.
I would rather we give these kids a path to citizenship than adults.

Unless you're a native american, you and your family are x generation immigrants who benefited from previous generations of immigrants slaughtering the Native Americans and seizing their land.

How are we going to deal with all the diseases they are bringing here? I heard a senator say they are carrying ebola and I was not aware it has already spread from Africa! This could turn out like one of those pandemic movies in a matter of days.

AndyH said:
Abide by the restrictions? I suspect people coming from ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD use much, much less water each day than ANY citizen of the US.
Talk about generalities. You don't think once folks have been here a while they water their lawns, wash their cars and take long showers just like everyone else?

klapauzius said:
The US is a really big country, you could easily cram 4 times as many people into it, and still everyone would be comfortable.

This "the boat is full" mentality is irrational.
Have you considered part of the reason things are better in the U.S. is because it isn't so badly overpopulated?

EVDrive said:
Conditions in Mexico and many countries in South America are atrocious.
Why is that? And is the solution for everyone to move here?

LeftieBiker said:
Since the US has been meddling, over the decades - lethally and illegally - in the affairs of the countries from which these children are coming, it seems pretty pathetic to call *them* "criminals." But then the US has always been short on charity and long on military "intervention."
+1 We have some SERIOUS karma coming our way and this is one example.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11 KB · Views: 23
LTLFTcomposite said:
AndyH said:
Abide by the restrictions? I suspect people coming from ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD use much, much less water each day than ANY citizen of the US.
Talk about generalities. You don't think once folks have been here a while they water their lawns, wash their cars and take long showers just like everyone else?
I don't disagree with you on this point - that's why I said:
AndyH said:
The best thing that could happen to reduce CA water consumption would be for Californians to trade places with everyone from Central America.

LTLFTcomposite said:

Have you considered part of the reason things are better in the U.S. is because it isn't so badly overpopulated?

Why is that? And is the solution for everyone to move here?

If they become as wasteful as us, great! Assimilation successful!

Yes, I have thought about the US being a better place because of its low population density and found the data don't support this hypothesis.

The Netherlands have ~ 1000 people per square mile, about 12 times as high the US (83) and are a great place. By comparison, Somalia has 65 people per square mile, less than the US, and is a hellhole.

Overall, population density (as well as absolute population) is no indicator of a countries well being.

And yes, indeed, for solving your problems elsewhere, it is a great solution to come to the US!

How can you build a future for yourself and your children, if your country is war-torn, or corrupt and crime ridden?
Yes, collectively, you would want people elsewhere to build a better future for themselves, for starters by making peace, fighting corruption, crime and bleak economic conditions. But there are a lot of good people, who are not heroes, that nevertheless deserve a break.

Back