Political Correctness

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoaty

Deancummings said:
My leaf was the jap model...
You probably didn't mean anything by this, but in the U.S. this is considered an ethnic slur:

"Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur among Japanese minority populations in other countries, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term controversial or offensive, even when used as an abbreviation.[1] In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MOD NOTE: Thread split off from here: Brake failure on nissan leaf -drees

Stoaty said:
Deancummings said:
My leaf was the jap model...
You probably didn't mean anything by this, but in the U.S. this is considered an ethnic slur:

"Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur among Japanese minority populations in other countries, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term controversial or offensive, even when used as an abbreviation.[1] In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry if I offended anyone but did not this! We in England use the word to shorten txt sorry

Deancummings said:
P.s sorry if I offended anyone with the I used in last post in England it's used as a short cut for Japanese used to shorten the typing I work for a Japanese company(nissan uk) my mistake sorry
Dean

The use of that "abbreviation" is very offensive to the Japanese American community on this side of the pond.

You probably missed the corporate cultural sensitivity training class

(rant on)

These days you can't say anything that SOME group will not take offense too! We have become way too damn PC for our own good! And I love how everyone has become Xxxxxxx-American now!
I guess I am Caucasian-American or Greek-American now! And don't even get me started on how the "African-American" population finds it intensely offensive if anyone other than themselves uses the you-know-what word, yet they hurl it around at each other like it is a sign of great friendship! Pure hypocrisy on so many levels

(rant off)

myleaf said:
The use of that "abbreviation" is very offensive to the Japanese American community on this side of the pond.

Actually, you needn't specify a race or gender... It's pretty much true regardless of either. People near the top have no idea what is going on below nor do they care...

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, white people (especially men) are always mystified by the power dynamics below them on the ladder...

TomT said:
(rant on)

These days you can't say anything that SOME group will not take offense too! We have become way too damn PC for our own good! And I love how everyone has become Xxxxxxx-American now!
I guess I am Caucasian-American or Greek-American now! And don't even get me started on how the "African-American" population finds it intensely offensive if anyone other than themselves uses the you-know-what word, yet they hurl it around at each other like it is a sign of great friendship! Pure hypocrisy on so many levels

(rant off)

myleaf said:
AMEN to that TomT

It's actually quite easy to speak without offending people - just takes some consciousness and practice.

derkraut said:
TomT said:
(rant on)

(rant off)

myleaf said:
AMEN to that TomT

People are offended too easily, sometimes. If it's obvious someone wasn't trying to throw an insult, there's no reason to be a drama queen. Taking offense in such cases is racist and offensive itself- since it's implying a prejudice to an individuals character that probably wasn't there.

rpmdk said:
It's actually quite easy to speak without offending people - just takes some consciousness and practice.

You blew it, I am deeply offended by this post.

:lol:

TomT said:
(rant on)

(rant off)

myleaf said:

I am offended by your post.

TomT said:
...don't even get me started on how the "African-American" population finds it intensely offensive if anyone other than themselves uses the you-know-what word, yet they hurl it around at each other like it is a sign of great friendship! Pure hypocrisy on so many levels

There are actually legitimate reasons for this.

Sorry, but there is rarely a legitimate reason for something such as this to be vilified in one sector and embraced in another... E.G.: Would it have been alright for Sterling to say what he did if he was black?

Nubo said:

If choosing a different word makes someone more happy, then why not do it? It's not very hard. On the other hand, if someone chooses a word that offends someone, and is gently reminded, that person should not feel bad, they didn't mean to offend. The whole purpose of language is for everyone to communicate with one another. Thus one person or group alone cannot decide what word is good to use or not to use. It has to be done by consensus.

TomT said:
Sorry, but there is rarely a legitimate reason for something such as this to be vilified in one sector and embraced in another... E.G.: Would it have been alright for Sterling to say what he did if he was black?

Nubo said:

Can't comment on Sterling because I never did tune in to that story.

As for the N-word, it was the symbol of a very repugnant era in our history. It's rightfully avoided. But for people who were (and still are) the target of the slur, use of the word between themselves is a way to share a common bond, and a means of empowerment. This isn't an unusual response. My Fathers family were Italian immigrants. I remember numerous times growing up when family members would call each other by some of the slurs that Italian immigrants had endured. It was done with affection and light humor. It doesn't mean they would have appreciated the same treatment from an outsider.

As an outsider to the N-word, one doesn't necessarily have to understand or agree with its use by African Americans, in order to behave with decorum and avoid it themselves. But understanding and giving the benefit of the doubt does go a long way, I think. And the same holds in the opposite direction, when a person of goodwill unintentionally offends some other group by being unaware of a sensitivity -- the offended party hopefully can take into account that not everyone is aware of their issues, and address the situation calmly and respectfully.

I find it sad that we have become the United States of the offended. I am of Polish descent, and I absolutely love pollack jokes! Has everyone become so thin skinned that no matter what someone says or does, our pwecious widdle feelings get hurt? When I was in the Navy (Submarines) you better get a thick skin because you were in for it if you didn't. Those guys would find the chink in your armor. (NOT A RACIST REMARK!!!) and exploit the hell out of it. If the guys knew you were sensitive about your wife or girlfriend look out! You learned real quick not to let it bother you and you tried to find out what pissed off the other guy and turn it around on him. That's life. It's not fair. Big deal! Put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

Rant off now.
Dave

I learned early. If you have a button, you best not let people know about it, or it will get pushed relentlessly. One time I let someone know how much I hate it when my last name is spelled with an O instead of an E... well eventually some how it got changed on my paycheck to being spelled with an O... now that's going too far! I got that fixed right away!

Subsailortrainman said:
I find it sad that we have become the United States of the offended. I am of Polish descent, and I absolutely love pollack jokes! Has everyone become so thin skinned that no matter what someone says or does, our pwecious widdle feelings get hurt? When I was in the Navy (Submarines) you better get a thick skin because you were in for it if you didn't. Those guys would find the chink in your armor. (NOT A RACIST REMARK!!!) and exploit the hell out of it. If the guys knew you were sensitive about your wife or girlfriend look out! You learned real quick not to let it bother you and you tried to find out what pissed off the other guy and turn it around on him. That's life. It's not fair. Big deal! Put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

Rant off now.
Dave

Some are too easily offended, no doubt about it. Just another thing us big girls just have to deal with. ;)

Back