Uncle Sam or?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVDRIVER

This weekend I went to Trader Joes and bought some Kashi cereal, I also saw a box of Uncle Sam cereal which I bought just because it caught my eye and I figured it was the 4th so why not! Now I can't decide which to open since they are both sealed and I also have some other cereal that is already open. The uncle Sam looks like a bran cereal but the company has been around for a very long time. I could put this decision off for a while and just eat something that is open. What should I do?

EVDRIVER said:
This weekend I went to Trader Joes and bought some Kashi cereal, I also saw a box of Uncle Sam cereal which I bought just because it caught my eye and I figured it was the 4th so why not! Now I can't decide which to open since they are both sealed and I also have some other cereal that is already open. The uncle Sam looks like a bran cereal but the company has been around for a very long time. I could put this decision off for a while and just eat something that is open. What should I do?

I'm not even sure how to respond to such a question....

Getting hungry. The Uncle Sam has 2G more fiber but the Kashi has 2G more protein. They are both non-GMO but I'm not sure if that is really accurate and I may need a second topic on GMO. I really should not read the labels, it makes things more confusing, should I choose based on box color? Perhaps fonts, I hear that is important and there is a movie about fonts alone.

evnow said:
Don't eat cereal. It is basically junk food (lots of carb with little protein/fat).

Well the Uncle Sam kinda sucks, like shredded cardboard. Clearly not enough bad crap added!

EVDRIVER said:
EVDRIVER said:
Since this is a LEAF forum did you consider this:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... t%20forums
Perhaps as you noted in your recommendation and comments about the off-topic subject of warehouse lift repair, a search of Google for cereal consumption questions would be better than using MNL. Concerning your obvious intent, I'd agree that there are a lot of non-LEAF topics here, but perhaps as QueenBee suggested, you should resolve that with the moderators, not the crowd.

HighDesertDriver said:
EVDRIVER said:
EVDRIVER said:
Since this is a LEAF forum did you consider this:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... t%20forums
Perhaps as you noted in your recommendation and comments about the off-topic subject of warehouse lift repair, a search of Google for cereal consumption questions would be better than using MNL. Concerning your obvious intent, I'd agree that there are a lot of non-LEAF topics here, but perhaps as QueenBee suggested, you should resolve that with the moderators, not the crowd.

As a moderator I have since day one requested people exercise some common sense or restraint to make the forum a better place and filled with less clutter. OT discussion is traditionally intended for related topics that do not fit in a particular area or with common sense postings that have related interest. There are many interesting and valuable OT posts but the point is to use some discretion and not just ask every business or personal question that can be answered with google, on a more appropriate forum or with friends and family for lack of a better example. This is a LEAF forum and unfortunately there are people that just ask every life question here because it is convenient. The more people do this the more the forum is full of clutter. My point remains, try to not ask day to day life questions and perhaps questions with broader value or that have some vague relevance. Other EV forums have done this making the experience richer and more focused. Members PM me with complaints about silly OT questions that are not really "topics", there is no rule but I think there is a bit of over use and abuse of this area.

EVDRIVER said:
Getting hungry. The Uncle Sam has 2G more fiber but the Kashi has 2G more protein. They are both non-GMO but I'm not sure if that is really accurate and I may need a second topic on GMO. I really should not read the labels, it makes things more confusing, should I choose based on box color? Perhaps fonts, I hear that is important and there is a movie about fonts alone.

Yep, there's a font that has its very own movie. "Helvetica". Actually I found it interesting.

EVDRIVER said:
As a moderator I have since day one requested people exercise some common sense or restraint to make the forum a better place and filled with less clutter. OT discussion is traditionally intended for related topics that do not fit in a particular area or with common sense postings that have related interest. There are many interesting and valuable OT posts but the point is to use some discretion and not just ask every business or personal question that can be answered with google, on a more appropriate forum or with friends and family for lack of a better example. This is a LEAF forum and unfortunately there are people that just ask every life question here because it is convenient. The more people do this the more the forum is full of clutter. My point remains, try to not ask day to day life questions and perhaps questions with broader value or that have some vague relevance. Other EV forums have done this making the experience richer and more focused. Members PM me with complaints about silly OT questions that are not really "topics", there is no rule but I think there is a bit of over use and abuse of this area.
As I've mentioned before (like at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=364589#p364589" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), some forums like Tivocommunity have become the opposite. The non-TiVo related discussion (and its area, which is the equivalent of the the Off-Topic area here) now FAR outnumbers anything TiVo related.

And, there are long running threads there that aren't intended to ask questions, at least not originally, nor have a resolution (e.g. the Tesla Model S thread, a long running iPhone discussion thread, "What are you streaming on Netflix?", "How did you feed your Amazon addiction this week?", "What should happen to people who park like this?", "Things that annoy you", etc.)

So now you accomplished nothing but to create another meaningless thread to add to the mess here. Nice work!

EVDRIVER said:
As a moderator I have since day one requested people exercise some common sense or restraint to make the forum a better place and filled with less clutter.

EVDRIVER said:
As a moderator I have since day one requested people exercise some common sense or restraint to make the forum a better place and filled with less clutter.
Maybe you should lead by example and try trimming posts and perhaps adding a carriage return here or there?

Certainly mocking people accomplishes nothing except make you look childish. Unless you'd rather kill all discussion on the board.

EVDRIVER said:
OT discussion is traditionally intended for related topics that do not fit in a particular area or with common sense postings that have related interest.
If it were a related interest, would it really be Off-Topic?

EVDRIVER said:
There are many interesting and valuable OT posts but the point is to use some discretion and not just ask every business or personal question that can be answered with google, on a more appropriate forum or with friends and family for lack of a better example. This is a LEAF forum and unfortunately there are people that just ask every life question here because it is convenient.
Apparently just about everyone else feels differently.

EVDRIVER said:
The more people do this the more the forum is full of clutter.
In your opinion.

EVDRIVER said:
Members PM me with complaints about silly OT questions that are not really "topics"
Comes with the territory unless you want to ban all members.

I for one appreciate EVDRIVER's work on this forum. He's been one of the most visible and active mods. While some resist taking action to keep this board on course, he responds to requests and fixes things.

The moderator corps in general allows personal attacks (some initiate them), allows vendors to market their services on the forum without following forum rules, refuses to trim threads or cut OT posts, ignores reported posts, and sometimes bans members that try to get threads fixed. I wish we had five more EVDRIVERs here.

AndyH said:
I for one appreciate EVDRIVER's work on this forum. He's been one of the most visible and active mods. While some resist taking action to keep this board on course, he responds to requests and fixes things.

The moderator corps in general allows personal attacks (some initiate them), allows vendors to market their services on the forum without following forum rules, refuses to trim threads or cut OT posts, ignores reported posts, and sometimes bans members that try to get threads fixed. I wish we had five more EVDRIVERs here.

Thanks Andy. Just trying to respond to member requests and any parody is not directed at anyone only to make light of some of the constant personal inquiries at times. And thank you to the others that sent me comments via PM, much appreciated. I truly enjoy many of the OT posts and have learned quite a bit from the members here with great knowledge in many areas, just don't want to go to far overboard and have this turn into a chat room. We can all self moderate to some degree, I try to practice that as best I can and believe all opinions are valuable.

Just trying to respond to member requests and any parody is not directed at anyone only to make light of some of the constant personal inquiries at times.

If that were true you wouldn't be taking criticism now. What you actually did was personally attack a poster and then, almost immediately, create a thread that was pretty clearly aimed at him. I've moderated, and it can be hard to resist doing things like this, but it is far better to avoid it.

Back