Should I pay this invoice?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kieranmullen

My lift in the warehouse was not lifting at full capacity. Company came out to diagnose (which I thought was free and sent a bill for 157.50 They suggested a new hydraulic pump and it would cost $1400 $700 in parts and $400 in labor. One many came out for 1 hour and installed the new pump. I asked before you go I want it to lift full capacity. It didn't lift at full or even increased capacity. Turns out that it was misdiagnosed and a pressure relief valve (which he said did not exist but after calling his boss on the phone his boss told him it did) with some adjustments it worked. He then told me how I would have needed a new hydraulic pump anyway.
I already paid the invoice but I was advised by others that I should issue a stop payment ($25 fee) and then call up the company and work something out with them for the misdiagnosis and worker incompetence since supposedly every piece of equipment since the 60s has a relief valve or they would explode. They could come and take back the hydraulic pump and put the old one in I suppose? Not that it matters I suppose. Would it have worked as well with the old one? I dont know.
TLDR: Company misdiagnosed issue. Charged me for new parts and labor when all I needed was an adjustment without parts.

IANAL but probably not a good idea to put a stop payment on the check since they performed the work you are paying for and at the time you wrote the check you agreed to pay it. I would think if you first contact the company about the experience they would be willing to work with you especially if the tech was full of crap when he said the pump needed to be replaced anyway. Seems like you'll get more flies with honey at this point. The vinegar can come out later. If you have the time your last resort can always be small claims court. Anyway, I'd take the calm, collected and logical stance right now.

Well none of this was my idea. You are right I should call. Now with the old pump removed there's no way to tell if it will work fine or not with the adjustment. So what is a fair amount to pay? Thanks

QueenBee said:
IANAL but probably not a good idea to put a stop payment on the check since they performed the work you are paying for and at the time you wrote the check you agreed to pay it. I would think if you first contact the company about the experience they would be willing to work with you especially if the tech was full of crap when he said the pump needed to be replaced anyway. Seems like you'll get more flies with honey at this point. The vinegar can come out later. If you have the time your last resort can always be small claims court. Anyway, I'd take the calm, collected and logical stance right now.

I called to see if they would work with me on the bill. They did not. They told me it was a small amount to pay for service. I could have the old pump back to test it on the bench but then I would have to put it back in. They said they that the are taking the risk with the old core.
I called 2 other companies that said that they would charge an hourly rate. Not a flat rate and they should have refunded me for that as well instead of $500 for labor.

Bottom line with them is that I agreed to pay a price to get the lift working and now it is working regardless if I needed the pump or not.

Now what?

QueenBee said:

kieranmullen said:
I called to see if they would work with me on the bill. They did not. They told me it was a small amount to pay for service. I could have the old pump back to test it on the bench but then I would have to put it back in. They said they that the are taking the risk with the old core.
I called 2 other companies that said that they would charge an hourly rate. Not a flat rate and they should have refunded me for that as well instead of $500 for labor.

Bottom line with them is that I agreed to pay a price to get the lift working and now it is working regardless if I needed the pump or not.

Now what?

QueenBee said:

Well that's unfortunate. I'd get the pump back and tested.

Well now that I had the discussion with them who knows what condition it is in. They would not be willing to put it in again so I would have to pay them or someone else to put it back in.

QueenBee said:
kieranmullen said:

Now what?

QueenBee said:

Well that's unfortunate. I'd get the pump back and tested.

When I pay for things I almost always use a CC when possible so I have leverage and recourse. A CC can help resolve a dispute after payment and I would consider situations like this one I would take that path if I were charged for improper work that was misdiagnosed incompetently. This is hypothetical and based on third party information,and more appropriate for professional legal advice outside a car forum.

I'd rather see an interesting OT question than an on-topic, 500th "IS THIS A GOOD DEAL??" topic...

I hate dealing with businesses for just this reason. When I have to do so, I make sure to get as much in writing, in advance, as possible. You can still give them bad reviews in every venue you can find, and maybe they will eventually relent, but I doubt it.

kieranmullen said:
Well now that I had the discussion with them who knows what condition it is in. They would not be willing to put it in again so I would have to pay them or someone else to put it back in.

If you think they would damage the pump on purpose just to prove their point then I'm afraid you got taken by a shady repair place and aren't likely going to get them to refund you any money in which case small claims court is probably your next course of action.

Back