car trains

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnrhansen

Has it ever been proposed to have a whole line of cars either mechanically or virtually connected together in a long train for cross country driving? I bet that would save a ton of fuel, and only the lead car would have to drive!

Sometime in the 1990's, Caltrans built a section of roadway in the median of I-15 (where the HOT lanes are now) in northern San Diego County with I believe a row of magnets embedded in the concrete. I can't find the video for it on YouTube, but specially modified cars would detect these magnets and use them as guidance. I'm not sure if the cars actually drove themselves or if it was simply an enhanced form of cruise control.

While self-driving road trains may become a reality thanks to Google, there are a lot of legal and technical issues that need to be worked out. For example, if one of the cars in the road train has a flat tire or mechanical issue, how will the driver be able to safely regain control and pull off to one side without causing a multi-car pileup?

Personally, I think a more feasible system is a moto-rail system like those used Europe, in which you can load your car onto a regular train for long distance travel. No need to make a grueling multi-hour drive, better for the environment, and less traffic on the roads. We already have a form of this called the Auto Train between Virginia and northern Florida.

How fast is that though? People just want to get up and go especially for trips under 4 hours.

If an actual train was involved depending on the area much time is lost stopping at other stops, waiting for freight trains, checking in and security screening. Although there is nothing saying that the TSA has made us safer, they have continued to intrude on every part of our lives. Including train and bus travel.

People dont want to fuss with that crap...

RonDawg said:
Sometime in the 1990's, Caltrans built a section of roadway in the median of I-15 (where the HOT lanes are now) in northern San Diego County with I believe a row of magnets embedded in the concrete. I can't find the video for it on YouTube, but specially modified cars would detect these magnets and use them as guidance. I'm not sure if the cars actually drove themselves or if it was simply an enhanced form of cruise control.

While self-driving road trains may become a reality thanks to Google, there are a lot of legal and technical issues that need to be worked out. For example, if one of the cars in the road train has a flat tire or mechanical issue, how will the driver be able to safely regain control and pull off to one side without causing a multi-car pileup?

Personally, I think a more feasible system is a moto-rail system like those used Europe, in which you can load your car onto a regular train for long distance travel. No need to make a grueling multi-hour drive, better for the environment, and less traffic on the roads. We already have a form of this called the Auto Train between Virginia and northern Florida.

smkettner said:
Took the Coast Starlight recently(no car). Virtually no security and no delays. Most stops are very short. Train makes great progress while you dine, wifi-surf or sleep.
Loading vehicles would take some extra time.

http://www.amtrak.com/auto-train-boarding-and-vehicle-requirements

The Coast Starlight, while scenic, is very slow. Even slower than going between LA and the Bay Area via the Amtrak San Joaquin, which requires a bus ride between Union Station and Bakersfield.

I mentioned in another thread that the Coast Starlight route would make a good overnight Auto Train.

Back