CTEK Battery Charger on ICE 12 Volt Battery Never Finishes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoaty

I have a CTEK battery charger on my ICE vehicle 12 volt battery:

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-800-Smart-Battery-Charger/dp/B002QUT8IC/?tag=myelecarfor-20&/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294002725&sr=8-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Manual for charger is here:

http://smartercharger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/US-800_us.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was working fine, but lately (for the last week) the green maintain light never comes on. Unfortunately, I left the battery off the charger for about 2 months. When I put it back on the charger, in a day or so the green light came on. A month or two later the green light never comes on, always shows the orange "charging" light. Battery voltage is 12.44 volts. Is my battery approaching end of life, or is there still time left on it? Car starts fine.

OK, here is the follow-up:

Found an FAQ on CTEK charger with following info:

Code:
The charger does not switch from charging into maintenance charging

Explanation 1: Larger loads are connected to the battery at the same time.

Test: Disconnect the loads from the battery and try to charge again.

Explanation 2: Defective battery.

Test: If possible, measure the voltage on the battery when the charging should be finished. If the voltage is under 7V the battery is most likely faulty.

Test: Try the charger on another fresh battery.

I knew I didn't have any other loads on the battery, so checked the CTEK on my Leaf. Maintenance light came on after a few hours. Then today I was driving the ICE vehicle over to my brothers house to put on the ski rack and noticed that I had left two lights on in the car for the last week. :eek: :oops:

Turned off the lights, and by the time I drove back home (10 miles total) the CTEK showed the green maintenance light when hooked up to the battery.

Back