Travel to San Francisco

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipcecil

Ok for all you California and San Francisco people, my wife got invited to a conference in mid march in san francisco. She nor I have never been California at all! Her conference will take up most days and evenings (to network and socialize), but we may have some evenings available for us. Additionally, I won't be able to attend the conference so I will have some free time (if we decide I go). So I have a few questions:

1. The conference is at the Moscone Center, which, it looks like its near a BART station and an SFMTA station (F-Market historic street car). The convention center does have many hotels around it and some decent rates, but do y'all know of any good hotels near a BART station or that specific SFMTA line (or even near that conference center)? We don't mind taking transit (we probably won't rent a car to save money). We aren't looking for grand stuff, more of the 100+ a night type of thing (which, it Texas is actually considered somewhat pricey, but seems cheap there), or are there just some neat hotels we should consider?

2. Suggested places we visit - focus more of places accessible by transit, although if there is a neat place by car we could always rent one for a day. It will most likely need to be evening activities.

3. Suggested places for myself during the day. Being in the transportation industry I love transit so I know I will be flying around on the different systems (just riding it is fun for me!). It can even include long commuter trips to access places - this doesn't bother me. I have never been here so I don't know what's neat or what to go see.

4. Any other things you can think of. Looking at flights, it is cheapest just to fly into SFO versus oakland or anything else from DFW. LAX is fairly cheap, but that would require a car to finish the trip, making that option more expensive.

Just so happens I took a business trip to San Francisco in December (my first time there in years as well). Here's my 2 cents:

1) & 4) good luck finding a <$200 hotel in that part of SF; nothing in CA is "cheap" (one reason I don't go there much). You'll want to fly from DFW -> SFO as Oakland will be much more expensive. Also, BART originates/terminates @SFO which makes transportation cheaper. Speaking of BART, just buy one of their passes/cards at the airport and use it as necessary; you can start with $10 or so and refill as you go.

2) & 3) I would focus your time on the Fisherman's Wharf area (pretty much wherever you can see Alcatraz from). You'll also want to eat in Chinatown or Little Italy (or whatever it's called). You can access these areas from BART and a short cab ride. I also took the Ferry across the bay from SF to Oakland one day (instead of BART) because I went to see Lee Ritenour & Dave Grusin (two famous jazz guys) @Yoshi's in Oakland one night; it was pure luck that they were there when I was, but there are a few clubs around town if you like that sort of thing--just don't walk around Oakland at night.

Pipcecil said:
...We don't mind taking transit (we probably won't rent a car to save money). We aren't looking for grand stuff, more of the 100+ a night type of thing (which, it Texas is actually considered somewhat pricey, but seems cheap there), or are there just some neat hotels we should consider?

I'm not much of a tourist, but I'd be surprised to find a decent hotel room available for ~$100 in SF.

Not too close, and not that cheap (more like $150+) but I stayed here several times recently.

http://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/california/san-francisco-hotels/hotel-kabuki" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Much of Japantown/Western Addition was razed for "redevelopment" ~50 years ago, but its still an interesting neighborhood, IMO.

Pipcecil said:
Ok for all you California and San Francisco people, my wife got invited to a conference in mid march in san francisco. She nor I have never been California at all! Her conference will take up most days and evenings (to network and socialize), but we may have some evenings available for us. Additionally, I won't be able to attend the conference so I will have some free time (if we decide I go). So I have a few questions:

1. The conference is at the Moscone Center, which, it looks like its near a BART station and an SFMTA station (F-Market historic street car). The convention center does have many hotels around it and some decent rates, but do y'all know of any good hotels near a BART station or that specific SFMTA line (or even near that conference center)? We don't mind taking transit (we probably won't rent a car to save money). We aren't looking for grand stuff, more of the 100+ a night type of thing (which, it Texas is actually considered somewhat pricey, but seems cheap there), or are there just some neat hotels we should consider?

Unfortunately SF lodging is quite pricey, along the lines of Manhattan, and even a $100/night hotel can mean staying in a fleabag hotel off Market Street or in the Tenderloin. If cost of lodging is an issue, seriously consider staying in the outer suburbs and taking BART into town. I have not stayed at a hotel within the SF city/county limits in over 20 years; I much prefer to stay in the 'burbs. Plus, almost all SF city hotels charge exorbitant parking rates as well, so keep that in mind if you have a rental car.

Most of the BART stations outside of SF proper have parking, so you don't necessarily have to stay near a BART station, but if you want to walk to BART from your hotel, areas to look for are Burlingame, vicinity of SFO (many hotels will shuttle you to the SFO BART station which is adjacent to the airport), Emeryville/Berkeley area, Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore, or Walnut Creek/Concord.

2. Suggested places we visit - focus more of places accessible by transit, although if there is a neat place by car we could always rent one for a day. It will most likely need to be evening activities.

Not knowing what you like, it's hard to recommend, but of course take in the usual SF sights. Many of SF's touristy locations are along Market Street (where Muni has both ground-level and below-ground trolley lines, and where BART runs for part of the way) and along the Embarcadero (where Muni runs the F-Market historic street cars). The cable cars pick up a lot of locations as well, such as Lombard Street and Fisherman's Wharf, but these can get crowded with tourists, and the ride is slow and rough. However, some notable tourist attractions are not easily accessible by public transit without getting to know the intricacies of Muni bus service:

Golden Gate Bridge (note that parking at the bridge can be very tough especially if it's sunny out)
Haight/Ashbury
Coit Tower (note that it is not easy to find parking there either, especially on sunny days and weekends, so plan on using a bus or walking to the top)
Twin Peaks (if you will have a car, it's just easier to drive there, or take a taxi)
Places along the west shoreline such as the Cliff House restaurant

3. Suggested places for myself during the day. Being in the transportation industry I love transit so I know I will be flying around on the different systems (just riding it is fun for me!). It can even include long commuter trips to access places - this doesn't bother me. I have never been here so I don't know what's neat or what to go see.

If you're really crazy about transit, in addition to BART and Muni, there's also CalTrain (commuter rail service) south to San Jose and Gilroy, and Amtrak's Capital Corridor service to Sacramento. There's also Altamont Commuter Express to Modesto, but it doesn't run all the way to SF, you'll have to catch it at San Jose or you'll have to find your way from an East Bay BART station like Dublin/Pleasanton or Fremont. Not sure about Capitol Corridor, but CalTrain and ACE are definitely scheduled for commuting purposes (most trains will be in the commuting direction).

You can really go overboard and take the Coast Starlight to LA (but you'll need to board at Emeryville, Oakland/Jack London, or San Jose, none of which have direct BART access) :lol:

There's also ferry service across the Bay to Larkspur, Oakland, Vallejo, Alameda, and other places, and while I have not done it myself, it could be worth it just for the sightseeing alone. That's in addition to tourist boats like the one that goes to Alcatraz.

4. Any other things you can think of. Looking at flights, it is cheapest just to fly into SFO versus oakland or anything else from DFW. LAX is fairly cheap, but that would require a car to finish the trip, making that option more expensive.

If you will be renting a car, and don't mind the hour or so commute, look into SJC (San Jose/Mineta) as well. Or if you don't mind the two hour or so journey, look into Sacramento (SMF) especially if you want to try to take in a visit elsewhere in Northern California.

Fly to SFO (yes OAK has access to BART as well, but SFO is better IMO) -And no do not fly to LAX! LA is not SF. :)

If you are in a budget, have you checked out airbnb - It's the best way to get a "local" feeling stay. I have gotten only great experiences in airbnb and hardly stay at hotels now - most airbnb hosts are better than cheap hotels; but just like the LEAF, airbnb is not for everyone.

Try to take a ferry in the bay: http://www.blueandgoldfleet.com/ (just don't get the Alcatraz tour, disembarking in Alcatraz is overrated).

Then for renting a car, also try share programs like DriveNow (electric BMWs), and ZipCar - you will need to register before hand. If you do rent a car, then to go to Sausalito, Stinson Beach, and Muir Woods (Giant Redwood forest - good excuse to cross the Golden Gate bridge).

EDIT: And for moving around SF, Uber beats taking a taxi by far - and Muni is great too (get the "routesy" app)

I highly recommend getting the http://www.citypass.com/san-francisco - It's priced well, and it will kindly force you to go to all those places included.

thanks for the helpful hints. Honestly our vacation spot ideas are really scattered for our likes and dislikes so any ideas are welcome! In addition we love to eat so recommendations of good places are great too, some fancy stuff and even some regular cafe stuff works as well (we aren't fancy people but sometimes a super nice meal is really awesome - probably seafood or steak).

As for the hotels, thanks for the ideas about staying in the burbs, the $100 dollars isn't a limit, but its just something of comaprison mark. $100 hotel in DFW gets you a really nice chain hotel (like a super nice holiday inn and garden or something like that). $150 gets you a "unique" eclectic hotel that has ok amenties or like a top of the line chain hotel, $200+ gets you super fancy/unique hotel that are aaamaaazzziinng and 250+ gets you the hotel type where you you didn't even realize the cost of it and just throw money at things all the time to get whatever you want type of hotel because money is no option and butlers and people waiting on you hand and food is normal.

Judging from the response at least $150-200 would be required to get a $100ish type of hotel in SF that we are usually used to. Thats not to say we wouldn't splurge, but its good to consider all options and start with what we are sued to.

I live in the "burbs" - If you are coming to SF, and that doesn't happen often, don't stay in the burbs. Get the real experience and stay in the City.
You don't have to stay in pricey SOMA/financial district, which is where Moscone is, you can go for a more affordable stay in the hip Mission district - and do check out airbnb (do your research there though)

We just stayed at the Hotel Nikko while my sister was at the Hilton Union Square. Also have used the Parc 55. All under $200/night. It is a central location within walking distance of the Moscone Center, China Town, Shopping and Museums. They are close to the Powell Metro station, cable car and street cars on Market Street. I liked the Alcatraz tour. Planning to go to Angel Island next time. There is a cable car museum as well.

Don't miss eating at as many great restaurants as you can!

If you can afford it I wouldn't bother try to stay somewhere far afield to save on hotel rates. Using BART to get into the city from somewhere like Concord is quite a schlep and will get old fast.

Tourist spots I'd hit:

The Exploratorium
Alcatraz
Chinatown
Cable Car Museum
And no trip to SF would be complete without riding a cable car and taking a walk across the Golden Gate bridge.

Agree with cooler. Don't stay in the east bay. There is nothing to do there and you'll find yourself spending a good part of your day commuting. Might be fun the first day but it'll get old. SF is a small but dense and hilly. Bus, bike and walk are good ways to get around.
Personally I think that being at walking distance of the Moscone center and Bart is worth the premium but if your wife doesn't mind spending time in public transportation, there are good hotel deals along Van Ness and Lombard but those are on very busy streets and don't have good public transit access (only city Buses). Use Google street view to get a feel of the neighborhood. You'll see right away if it's a place you can safely walk around at 1am.
If you use public transit make sure you use apps that give you real time bus arrival time and find stops based on your gps location (nextbus.com).
Have fun!

good luck with the hotel part. as one of our daughters lives in North Beach (you would call it little italy), we dont have to wrestle the hotel issue.
I would find a day to rent a bike (you can do that in North Beach or the Fishyman Wharf) and go over the Golden Gate Bridge. You take the ferry back from Sausolito.
You can eat there for lunch.
The two major art museums are very good.

good eats?
Perry's on the Embarcadero -- good american fare with a real bar and a bunch of Sport TVs, but not a sports bar
Slanted Door - very good asian fusion. It is in the Ferry Building, which you should visit. It is a food emporium.
Great Eastern for real dim sum - in Chinatown
Boulevard - your high end delight. Near the Ferry Building.
Original Joe's in North Beach -- for Italian or try anywhere else in North Beach.
Some of the other hot spots are hard to get a ressie without a few weeks notice. I also wouldnt wait on BLVD.

as you are going in march-- State Bird and Frances are two very good but very tough ressies. State Bird was super. I have never been able to match a trip with a ressie at Frances, but my girl says it is super.

staying in oakland or berkeley hotels will save you money.
BART is super and there are good busses to everywhere in SF.
also cabs and UBER are good ways to get around, especially at night.
Expect chilly in the evening. There will be wind.

My favorite Chinese restaurant:

http://www.henryshunanrestaurant.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be forwarned: if you ask for "spicy", you better mean it! :lol:

Have you not heard of Airbnb.com? We love it. Used it all over the UK and Ireland this summer.

For example, here's a small, private apartment in the Mission District for $107/night.

https://airbnb.com/rooms/176092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are thousands of others. Sort the site for what and where and how much.

I've also heard good things about airbnb, but I've never used it and can't personally recommend it. As a former transit district attorney, I have my own views on the transit systems. CalTrain is the best ride IMO - comfortable and fast - but only goes from SF through Silicon Valley down to Gilroy, not the East or North Bay. The Cable Cars are very touristy, but you are, after all, a tourist, so ride one. We had fun riding them when we stayed in SF for a week. SF Muni is just a big city bus/trolley system, and not a very good one. I've never liked BART, although it is the primary system for the Bay Area as a whole. I always get motion sick on it because the acceleration and deceleration is always so jerky. It is fast and relatively efficient, though. It may be worth riding one of those tour buses that go around so you can see all kinds of spots where it is hard to drive or park yourself or take Muni. You should see the Civic Center / Opera House area. Those buildings are probably the most beautiful in the city.

The restaurants are fine there, but so far as I'm concerned, no better than you can find in any major city and are overpriced. You should definitely see the things that are unique to San Francisco:
The Golden Gate Bridge
The Exploratorium
Some plays or theater like Beach Blanket Babylon or Teatro Zinzanni
Coit Tower
Alcatraz
The SF Symphony or Ballet or Opera if you're into high culture of that sort. They have world class performances here that you won't find in Midlothian Texas.
Maybe take a ferry ride to Jack London Square in Oakland or to Alameda or Larkspur.

Another "out of the box" idea for lodging would be to look into a private room in a youth hostel*. I haven't been to any in "the City", but I've stayed in others and they can be very nice. An added bonus, if you choose to socialize, is meeting other travelers from both the U.S. and other countries. There is a site (sfhostels.org) that covers -- and compares and contrasts! -- the features of three nicely situated Hostelling International hostels in the city. Top price, presumably for private rooms, is less than $150/night.

Good luck and have fun!

* Youth hostels are not just for "youth". There are no (upper) age restrictions in the U.S., last I heard.

Back