Today I drove my ICE Car, Do you still use your ICE car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UBUYGAS

I had to use my ICE car today :(

Had to fill up the tank, took $32.00 of regular gas. I had to go to a client that was 140 mile round trip. My 10 year old Hyundai Elantra hatchback gave me 27.5 miles per gallon with all the windows and sunroof open and the music blaring!

Do you still use your ICE car?

I was really depressed, I wanted to drive my LEAF so bad :(

Lasareath

I try to use my Audi at least once a month. Since I got my Leaf in January, I've taken it on 3 trips that were beyond the Leaf's range.

I appreciate the Leaf's smooth power delivery and of course economical operation, but it's a bit boring to drive especially with the numb steering and eco tires.The Audi is a much more fun car, but it's not fun to drive in the city due to the peaky nature of its turbo engine, and it's much thirstier on gas and oil when driven that way.

I drive my leaf for the money saving, and I drive my ICE cars when I want to have some fun driving. There's characteristics to the leaf's steering and braking I think are unresponsive enough I feel more confident in my ICE cars. For enjoyment factor I really appreciate the quiet interior and easily predictable acceleration, but steering and braking are lacking. It bothers me every time I park or stop the leaf at a stop light, because even slightly lifting off the brakes from a stopped position and then pressing down the brakes as softly as possible makes the car jerk to a stop.

Lasareath said:
Sadly, there is only one DC Quick Charge station in New Jersey (right before the Delaware Memorial Bridge).

There needs to be more of these stations if this country wants more electric vehicles on the road.
Imagine how many millions of people could drive electric vehicles if there were convenient DC Quick Charge stations linking Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City and Boston.

Ideally, DC Quick Charge stations should be placed at highway rest areas and large convenience stores/gas stations (e.g. the only DC Quick Charge station located in New Jersey).

Most electric vehicle owners would still charge at home and stop in for 15 or 30 minute quick charges when traveling longer distances.

Yes, I hear what you are saying my 10 year old Hyundai goes around bends in the road better than the Leaf.

veramis said:
I drive my leaf for the money saving, and I drive my ICE cars when I want to have some fun driving. There's characteristics to the leaf's steering and braking I think are unresponsive enough I feel more confident in my ICE cars. For enjoyment factor I really appreciate the quiet interior and easily predictable acceleration, but steering and braking are lacking. It bothers me every time I park or stop the leaf at a stop light, because even slightly lifting off the brakes from a stopped position and then pressing down the brakes as softly as possible makes the car jerk to a stop.

Oh, I didn't know there was one at all, We have friends in Cherry Hill NJ, we might be able to take the Leaf if we stop at that Quick Charge Station! I gotta check it out if it's possible. Thanks!

RobertC said:
Lasareath said:
Sadly, there is only one DC Quick Charge station in New Jersey (right before the Delaware Memorial Bridge).

There needs to be more of these stations if this country wants more electric vehicles on the road.
Imagine how many millions of people could drive electric vehicles if there were convenient DC Quick Charge stations linking Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City and Boston.

Ideally, DC Quick Charge stations should be placed at highway rest areas and large convenience stores/gas stations (e.g. the only DC Quick Charge station located in New Jersey).

Most electric vehicle owners would still charge at home and stop in for 15 or 30 minute quick charges when traveling longer distances.

Lasareath said:

Had to fill up the tank, took $32.00 of regular gas. I had to go to a client that was 140 mile round trip. My 10 year old Hyundai Elantra hatchback gave me 27.5 miles per gallon with all the windows and sunroof open and the music blaring!

Do you still use your ICE car?

I was really depressed, I wanted to drive my LEAF so bad :(

Lasareath
you do realize that driving with the windows open reduces the MPG that you get

Lasareath said:
Yes, I hear what you are saying my 10 year old Hyundai goes around bends in the road better than the Leaf.

veramis said:

Oh, I didn't know there was one at all, We have friends in Cherry Hill NJ, we might be able to take the Leaf if we stop at that Quick Charge Station! I gotta check it out if it's possible. Thanks!
you need to be aware that the QC station you are referring to is at the foot of the deleware memorial bridge, nowhere near cherry hill

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well my 2013 Leaf handles. Pumping up the tires to 40psi seems to have helped the tires grinding on turns. Its easy to get spoiled by the smooth acceleration and torque from a stop. I find myself not missing either of our ICE vehicles.

I'm surprised how little we've used either of our other vehicles. We've managed to share the Leaf, but at the cost of blowing our lease mileage allotment. We're 3 weeks in and over 1000 miles. I expect our usage to drop a little as we get more accustomed to it.

I'm about to head to the Beach.
About 70 miles at 70 MPH
I'm also about to load the Family into our 2012 Suburban, which get 11 MPG with a tailwind, downhill.
I need the Suburban occasionally to BE a suburban, but a DCQC setup in the rest area of AC expressway would change my life.
($32 to fill ? I lust after your $32. Try $100)

It's coming.
It's just coming slowly.

Took the ICE on a 600 mile roundtrip to Mammoth Lakes last week. One thing very nice about it - in the approximate 60 mile freeway range of our Leaf, our just-filled ICE's gas gauge needle moves from above full to just "full". Otherwise the Leaf is better in every respect except for its sound system.

Thanks, I didn't realize it was 39 miles away. I would have checked before I left.

apvbguy said:
you need to be aware that the QC station you are referring to is at the foot of the deleware memorial bridge, nowhere near cherry hill

I do know that. Thanks. I'm an all windows and sunroof open type of driver. Don't care about the loss of MPG. Even when driving the Leaf, That's why I installed a Sunroof. My Daily usage is 52 miles max. I don't think I loose 50% of my battery at my average speed of 18.6 mph with all the windows open and sunroof. So all is good.

apvbguy said:
you do realize that driving with the windows open reduces the MPG that you get

The last three times I drove my gas car:

1) The battery went dead. Never before have I ran out of juice on the LEAF (the thing everyone else freaks out about), but yeah, gas cars are just as useless without battery power. Had to have my boss give me a jump start. $100 later (cheap wally world nEverstart battery), and it's finally working.

2) I spent an outrageous $65 to fill it up and spilled a gallon of gas on the ground because the nozzle auto-shut off didn't work. I smelled like gas the whole day at work. Great, just great.

3) Cylinder 2 decided to stop firing while I was on lunch, so my whole trip home from work felt like I was in a cheap motel and just fed the magic fingers vibrating bed a quarter. What a barbaric piece of crap. Now I have to fix it- a part that's made obsolete by electric drive. And not just that one cylinder, I have to replace all 8 spark plugs because I'm about 20,000 miles overdue. !@#$%@#$@#

I love my Crown Vic, but it's really being a pain in the ass.

Our ICE car is a Prius, but even though I don't mind driving it (except for the beeping in reverse!) I haven't driven it once in the two plus weeks I've had the Leaf. I did ride in it, once. Come Winter I'm sure that I'll be driving that more to commute, because we work opposite shifts and can switch it off with the engine warm. I think that a Gen III Prius or Prius V, plus a Leaf, is the perfect two car household.

I do wish they had gotten the Leaf's braking assist right, though. It's embarrassing to have it jerk to a stop like it's being driven by a kid in Driver's Ed...

LeftieBiker said:
I do wish they had gotten the Leaf's braking assist right, though. It's embarrassing to have it jerk to a stop like it's being driven by a kid in Driver's Ed...
finally, someone else sees it the way I do, B mode is too grabby for usage, I only use it like I would a down shift for engine braking.
As for my ICE, I have used it 2x in 60+ days of owning the LEAF, while I almost am always in the LEAF the ICE is still a blast to drive, you cannot equal the driving experience given by a strong V8 engine.

I have done 3000km on my leaf in a month since I bought it and I love it but my other car is a BMW 3 series wagon, manual with Sports package and I enjoy it in different ways.

The fit and finish of a BMW is so much better. Much less wind noise on the highway, makes for a great road trip. Little things dissapoint me on the Nissan, the cheap feel of small things like fighting with the flimsy rear seatbelts to get my daughter in the car seat....

And if the Leaf could go for 5 hrs my back could not handle the seats...

Back