3D Printers and their useage.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

We are using 3D printing for enclosures for some mini CAN
monitors, for the CANary enclosure, and now for plugs to use
for testing our Fairly Fast (DC) Charger experiments.

I have been reading about 3D printers this last week, and I
found the Pirate3D Buccaneer on http://www.Kickstarter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and I also found the Kossel Pro Delta 3D Printer there.

I would like to buy or build a good reliable 3D printer,
but try to keep the price down. If you have experience,
suggestions (avoid or get), or any personal wisdom to share
with us, please do so.

Thanks, Gary

I spend a lot of time in the DIY 3D-printing community so I can throw a few comments your way :)

It's generally regarded bad mojo to put money on a product that isn't actively shipping. The Pirate3D Buccaneer certainly looks nice but there aren't any in private hands which is a huge point against it. Historically Kickstarter has been a source of scams and vaporware for 3D printers so there's an earned level of skepticism and distrust here. Not to say the Pirate3D aren't trying in earnest, just that it seems more bad than good has come out of Kickstarter. Ditto with the Kossel Pro.

Worth nothing, however, that both of those machines are based on proven mechanics; the Buccaneer is an "H-Bot" style machine and the Kossel is a Rostock delta variant. These designs are not as popular as the Cartesian machines but are in active use with all the kinks worked out and decent firmware support.

What's your budget, how big a build volume do you actually need, and how much DIY tinkering are you willing to do to get it working?
=Smidge=

We have an outfit here called Makers Place. I think they are around the country. It has several areas for hobbyists to do work that you may not have room or tools to do at home. One of the items they have is a 3D printer for any member to use. If there is something like that in your area, it would be a great asset.

garygid said:
We are using 3D printing for enclosures for some mini CAN
monitors, for the CANary enclosure, and now for plugs to use
for testing our Fairly Fast (DC) Charger experiments.

I have been reading about 3D printers this last week, and I
found the Pirate3D Buccaneer on http://www.Kickstarter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and I also found the Kossel Pro Delta 3D Printer there.

I would like to buy or build a good reliable 3D printer,
but try to keep the price down. If you have experience,
suggestions (avoid or get), or any personal wisdom to share
with us, please do so.

Thanks, Gary

Gary, here's the new LeafDD enclosure done at the place we visited a few weeks back, GrowIT 3D in Orange County, using the FDM printer.
Pictured alongside a black object from the same printer (considering getting some black enclosures in the future).
photo1fi.jpg

garygTx said:
We have an outfit here called Makers Place. I think they are around the country. It has several areas for hobbyists to do work that you may not have room or tools to do at home. One of the items they have is a 3D printer for any member to use. If there is something like that in your area, it would be a great asset.

Also a good option depending on how much you'll be using it, availability and cost. Most makerspaces have a membership fee, and they may or may not charge for use of the machine (if only to cover cost of material).

You could also use a printing service like Shapeways, which for one or two prints will cost less than your own machine... but if you plan to do a lot of R&D stuff having a machine on your desk is very helpful.
=Smidge=

Smidge,
The Kossel Pro Kickstarter will probably be a good printer,
but it does look like a "contraption".

Here is a Kossel kit, but I do not know how good it would be when completed,
but I am first in line, and need to decide tonight. (The FOR SALE Kossel kit thread)
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?fromgroups#!topic/deltabot/lOHeP2uZGQY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any comments?

I have a 2nd and 3rd generation Solidoodle and they work great for my prototyping needs. Especially at $499

http://www.solidoodle.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garygid said:
Any comments?
I have no hands-on experience with the Kossel, but I've not heard many bad things about delta style printers. Their major appeal seems to be the uniqueness of the mechanism.

Just keep in mind; that guy is selling a "used" kit. Imagine buying a model car or plane kit from someone who started it and didn't finish. It took me a full weekend to assemble my machine and get it operating satisfactorally... remember that for most 3D printer owners, the printer itself is the hobby!

Price wise what he's asking isn't off the charts... the motors, controller, bed heater and hotend are worth about $350 or so, and by the time you throw in all the other bits and bops $600 isn't out of the question. You'll need a power supply (12V @ 16Amps recommended) - most people use either an ATX computer power supply or a supply intended for LED lighting.

If you're willing to put the time in - I'd set aside at least 20-30 hours - it doesn't look like a bad deal providing everything you get is in good shape and nothing important is missing.

Solidoodle isn't a bad option either, though he used to have problems shipping things in a timely manner I've not heard of any issues in a while. Build volume is somewhat small for the price but it has a distinct advantage of being pre-assembled.
=Smidge=

Thanks,
Yes, indeed the "dancing" robotic arms of the delta printer is
enticing, a bit like watching a fire in the fireplace. :shock:

Kind of reminds me of one foxy waitress on my home planet. :mrgreen:

Sorry to revive a ...mature...thread, but this seemed to fit here best.

3D printer workshop in San Diego May 2-4, 2014

http://opensourceecology.org/3d-printer-workshop/

3D Printing can change the way we design, the way we build and even way we dream. This powerful new technology gives us the freedom to transform imagination and innovation into reality. It’s changing everything from Art to Architecture and from Manufacturing to Medicine. But until now, 3D Printing has been expensive and complicated. For this workshop we are working with LulzBot, the creator of one of the world’s finest open source 3D Printers, the TAZ.

This 3-Day Weekend Workshop will make 3D Printing Simple, Affordable and Open to Everyone.

During the workshop we’ll guide you through every step of building your own open source hardware, LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer Kit, the KITTAZ, as well as operating, printing and troubleshooting your new machine.

You’ll come away with a great 3D Printer and the knowledge and confidence to create amazing things – all for a savings of $400 off the cost of the fully assembled machine that retails for $1995.

My G4 Solidoodle finally came last week. Having a lot of fun making various "things" around the house. Here is one that some of the members of this forum who own 3d printers may be interested in:

LeafClip

I made the model downloadable so anyone can print from home rather that pay and wait. It is a simple thing - a hook for the back to keep grocery bags secure. I have the rear compartment organizer and drive with the rear seats folded to avoid obstructing the rear view. This means when I run out for groceries, I have to drive especially gingerly to avoid slinging the contents of the grocery bags everywhere. These hooks give you something to hang the bags on to help keep them upright and secure. Fits a 2011 - not sure if the vent pattern changed on the later models.

Attachments

• LeafClip.jpg
    LeafClip.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 94
TickTock, it is good to hear that you got a 3D printer... working.
Have you tried printing a Canary Cage?

Later this year, I should get a Pirate 3D printer (a KickStarter project).
When it arrives, it is advertised to print right out of the box.

I think that I have my 2-head FlashForge printer (a "copy" of the Replicator)
repaired and reassembled, but it needs adjustment and some TLC before
I can actually try printing something. JasonA said that he will help me.

My delta (3 parallel vertical axis rails) project is stalled, needing improved
vertical traveler wheels to go along with the timing belts that will replace
the spools and strings..

Cheers, Gary

garygid said:
TT,
Do you print the LeafClip in the orientation shown, with support structure?
I did have to turn on supports and printed it with down being to the left in the previous picture so the majority of the plate was on the printing plane. Also, SLIC3R did some weird things at the interface of the sphere and the hook so I ended up using Skeinforge instead. More complicated to setup but it seems more powerful and got all the geometries right. Took a while to figure out how to enable the support in Skeinforge (have to turn on raft). Here's what it looked like before removing the support.

Attachments

• LeafClip2.jpg
    LeafClip2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 58
In the off chance this is new info, SpaceX is preparing to fly the world's first 3D printed rocket engines in their emergency escape and vertical landing system - the Super Draco.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEQrmDoIRO8[/youtube]
http://3dprint.com/4740/spacex-dragon-2-3d-print/
So, how is SpaceX able to produce such a powerful thruster, at minimal costs, and still meet the strict deadlines set by their client, NASA? For one, they use 3D printing. That’s right, the most advanced manufacturer of rockets and spacecraft on the planet, relies on a process called direct metal laser sintering, to create one of the most important components of the SuperDraco thruster, the combustion chamber for the engine. The chambers are 3D printed with a material called Inconel, which is very high performance nickel chromium superalloy, known for its amazing strength and toughness.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=369283#p369283

MakerBot lays off one-fifth of its workforce:
http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/17/makerbot-lays-off-20-percent-of-its-employees/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back