Chicago Fire episode - totally bogus?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

Did anyone see that Chicago Fire episode last night with the Leaf crashed into a pole? Pretty sure that scenario is complete nonsense, can the body become "energized" like that to someone outside?

Check it out on Hulu I think NBC just spread a ton of FUD on the EV movement.

Season 5 episode 19, in the first 10 minutes.

Before you revoke my man card I was alerted to this by my wife, this airs long after my bed time.

Found the link:
http://www.nbc.com/chicago-fire/video/carry-their-legacy/3504896

Advance to the 3:00 mark (after the commercial) and tell me if this isn't the most awful thing ever.

That thing electric?

Help me, I'm stuck! (save my life and I promise I'll never buy one of these things again!)

That reminds me of the NBC Dateline episode about 30 years ago where they were reporting on the gas tanks of Chevrolet pickups being fire hazards during crashes. They purported to show a pickup bursting into flames during a staged crash, but slow motion review of the video clip revealed pyrotechnic devices underneath the vehicle to cause the fire. Common denominator is NBC.

GerryAZ said:
That reminds me of the NBC Dateline episode about 30 years ago where they were reporting on the gas tanks of Chevrolet pickups being fire hazards during crashes. They purported to show a pickup bursting into flames during a staged crash, but slow motion review of the video clip revealed pyrotechnic devices underneath the vehicle to cause the fire. Common denominator is NBC.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-02-10/news/mn-1335_1_gm-pickup

Here's the best quote, "Beilinson stressed that only one minute of the 15-minute segment had been in dispute." :eek: That must have been about how long it took for them to get the fire going?

I too hope Nissan will remove their advertising from NBC. I removed my viewership about the time Brian Williams' stories (lies) were exposed and haven't gone back.

Wow, this is wrong in so many ways. Firefighters are trained to NEVER, under any circumstances, cut any orange cable in a EV/PHEV/Hybrid.
If the car is "off", cutting the 12V battery cable will give some safety since there will be no voltage present outside the high voltage battery itself. To be totally sure, removing the service plug will ensure the battery is totally isolated, but locating it and knowing how to remove it can be difficult in a wrecked vehicle, or if there is a fire.

All EV owners should be aware of the location of the MSD - Main Service Disconnect so they can assist emergency responders if necessary.
On the leaf (2011-2115) it is located under the small triangular panel in the rear seat area, directly behind the front armrest.
Lift the patch of carpet, remove the 3 thumbscrews and then lift the handle on the orange plug and pull it free.
Don't remove the orange plug unless you intend to totally disable the vehicle as it may require a dealer to reset the system afterwards, but it's good to know where it is located.

http://www.evsafetytraining.org/resources/auto-manufacturer-resources/nissan.aspx

I've had a couple thoughts over the years on this sort of thing, maybe silly ideas, but here they are anyway:

- A convention for all EVs/(P)HEVs to stash a laminated quick reference first responder guide behind the license plate. Just the most basic info that would be needed in urgent situations
- Accessing that service cutoff plug in the middle of the car could be tough in an emergency situation. Since you don't want to avoid having HV wiring near the perimeter of the vehicle that's most vulnerable, how about a low-tech solution like a lawn mower/hood release/trunk release cable that would "pull" the disconnect from a more accessible location, possibly even from two different locations on opposite sides of the car. There's some challenge in making it accessible enough in an accident situation but not tempting to vandals, tampering, kids or other mistaken activation. Break glass panel and pull?

LTLFTcomposite said:
I've had a couple thoughts over the years on this sort of thing, maybe silly ideas, but here they are anyway:

- A convention for all EVs/(P)HEVs to stash a laminated quick reference first responder guide behind the license plate. Just the most basic info that would be needed in urgent situations
- Accessing that service cutoff plug in the middle of the car could be tough in an emergency situation. Since you don't want to avoid having HV wiring near the perimeter of the vehicle that's most vulnerable, how about a low-tech solution like a lawn mower/hood release/trunk release cable that would "pull" the disconnect from a more accessible location, possibly even from two different locations on opposite sides of the car. There's some challenge in making it accessible enough in an accident situation but not tempting to vandals, tampering, kids or other mistaken activation. Break glass panel and pull?

- I always thought standardized instructions should be under the hood, near the firewall, but in a front end collision that might be crushed bad enough they cant get to it. Prying open the hood is the easy part for firefighters if the car is already wrecked.

- Some safety vs design tradeoffs here - for safety you want the MSD within the footprint of the battery, and the battery in the center of the vehicle, but that usually means the plug is in the middle of the passenger cabin. Auto designers dont want a giant orange thing sticking out in the cabin, so they cover it up, but there is virtually no education done about it's existence or location.

Tampering and vandalism is a concern, EV public buses in some city are required to have highly visible emergency stop switches on both sides. Kids run up to the bus when it's stopped at a red light and hit the button causing it to instantly go dead, usually has to be towed back to the depot to be reset as some of them use a pyrotechnic fuse that literally explodes to isolate the connections.

webeleafowners said:
Thank you. Good info. So where is it for the 2016 SV 30.

I guess I should probably find out where the disconnect is for our smart ED.

2012-14 Smart Ed
http://advancedextrication.com/2014/01/service-safety-disconnects/

leaf hasnt changed body config much, so it's the same for 2015 and 2016, I assume 2017 also
http://www.evsafetytraining.org/~/media/electric%20vehicle/files/nissan/2015-nissan-leaf-frg.pdf?la=en

Back