edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Re: Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:31 am

no condition is permanent

soldcake
Delivery Date: 19 Jun 2016
Leaf Number: 311414

Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:40 am

i like the steering wheel buttons !! My leaf steering wheel is not like that..
Nov-2017 11043mi 70.4Ahr 88%SOH 82%Hx
May-2017 6866mi 72.9Ahr 91%SOH 87%Hx
Sep-2016 1050mi 74.3Ahr 93%SOH 89%Hx
2016 Leaf White SV + no premium package + rain visor + 40psi :roll:
(BayArea California)

GRA

Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:19 pm

Via GCC:
Volvo Cars CEO urges government & industry to share safety-related traffic data; will skip Level 3 autonomy
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/04 ... volvo.html

. . . Samuelsson made his remarks at the “1st European Conference on Connected and Automated Driving” in Brussels, where he also underlined the need to put safety first when developing a regulatory framework for autonomous cars. When it comes to autonomous driving, it is important that the user interface is crystal clear about the role of the driver, he noted.

Samuelsson also expressed his concern about Level 3 autonomous driving modes.

In this mode the car is in charge of the driving, yet the driver must still be prepared to take over in case of emergency, which could be a matter of a few seconds. Volvo considers this Level 3 driving mode unsafe and will thus skip this level of autonomous driving.

—Håkan Samuelsson. . . .

Mr Samuelsson said

Consequently, when Volvo launches its first autonomous cars in 2021, they will be at Level 4—i.e.,completely unsupervised on applicable roads. This means that these cars will be able to manage emergency situations and bring the car into a safe state by itself without driver interaction and that Volvo will assume liability while the car is in autonomous mode.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Via IEVS:
Wireless Charging And Autonomous Electric Cars Go Hand-In Hand
http://insideevs.com/wireless-charging- ... tric-cars/

. . . Jesse Schneider, chair of the SAE Wireless Charging Taskforce said:

“Though is not widely known, that there is an interdependence between wireless charging and autonomous vehicles. For light duty vehicles, under all-weather conditions, the only reliable way to automatically charge autonomous electric vehicles is with wireless charging.

Not widely known? You've got to be kidding. I hereby nominate Jesse Schneider for a "Captain Obvious" award, assuming that such a thing exists.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:23 pm

Via ABG:
Uber says its self-driving technology is "fundamentally different" from Waymo's
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/08/uber ... o-lawsuit/

Uber Technologies Inc said on Friday its self-driving sensor technology was "fundamentally different" from Waymo's, blasting the Alphabet Inc unit's claim that it profited from stolen files in the race to roll out the first driverless car. Uber said in a federal court filing that 14,000 of Waymo's computer files on autonomous technology never ended up on its servers, despite Waymo's claim that its former executive, Anthony Levandowski, stole them before joining Uber. . . .

US District Judge William Alsup in San Francisco has ordered Uber to do a more thorough search of its computer systems to see if the documents are in its possession. "You haven't searched well enough," he told Uber's lawyer at a hearing on Wednesday. Alsup has also suggested that Uber had leverage over Levandowski it had not used, such as threatening to fire him should he not hand over the documents.

"If you cannot find them in your files there is going to be a preliminary injunction. You're not denying it, no one is denying he has the 14,000 files," Alsup said. "You keep on your payroll someone who took 14,000 documents and is liable to use them."

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:44 pm

Video at link below is free, but article pay-walled:

In Japan, a Self-Driving Technology Helps Seniors Hit the Brakes, Not the Gas

Systems that ward off collisions take off in country with many older people behind the wheel

TOKYO—Japan is taking the lead on adopting some of the world’s newest driving technologies, largely because it has to accommodate some of the world’s oldest drivers.

More than half the vehicles sold in Japan last year were equipped with automatic braking systems, which can detect possible collisions and brake to avoid them, car companies say...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-japan-a ... 1492680602

While semi-autonomous systems are already popular with the elderly, I think few people are considering how soon fully-autonomous vehicles will change the lives of those below driving age.

In more affluent families, the question of when to get the kids their own cars might soon begin to come up at about the same time that parents first consider getting the kids their own phones...
no condition is permanent

GRA

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:38 pm

edatoakrun wrote: <snip>
While semi-autonomous systems are already popular with the elderly, I think few people are considering how soon fully-autonomous vehicles will change the lives of those below driving age.

In more affluent families, the question of when to get the kids their own cars might soon begin to come up at about the same time that parents first consider getting the kids their own phones...

That's one possible outcome, but I think it more likely that they'll just use autonomous car/ride-sharing memberships. Why buy a car that gets used even less than the 5% of the day that's typical of cars used by adults? I can see some resistance to random ride-sharing carpools on a regular basis for commuters, but using one for a group of kids to go to school/shop etc. seems entirely feasible. Autonomous carpools will presumably be priced based on the distance divided by the number of occupants, with each rider's account debited automatically (smart cards etc.).

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:13 pm

edatoakrun wrote:While semi-autonomous systems are already popular with the elderly, I think few people are considering how soon fully-autonomous vehicles will change the lives of those below driving age.

There are quite a few laws related to the proper supervision and protection of children which will likely need to be revised before that can possibly become the norm.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
2011 miles at purchase. 10K miles on Apr 14, 2013. 20K miles (55.7Ah) on Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah) on Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah) on Feb 8, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

GRA

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:46 pm

RegGuheert wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:While semi-autonomous systems are already popular with the elderly, I think few people are considering how soon fully-autonomous vehicles will change the lives of those below driving age.

There are quite a few laws related to the proper supervision and protection of children which will likely need to be revised before that can possibly become the norm.

Such as?

Reddy
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:14 pm

I just saw a white Cadillac CT6 in Ritzville, WA with LIDAR and four cameras on top, MI license 061 246. I have a picture, but don't know how to post. Another example of autonomous vehicle testing, and not just in CA.
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 46.44 AHr; 40,067 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

Return to “Off-Topic”