Gas Cans Can Can the User

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link!

Interestingly, it seems I use our gas cans more now that we have mostly-parked ICEVs that I like to keep topped off.

I don't own a gas can. I haven't owned one in the last 15 years. Electric lawnmower, electric string trimmer, electric chain saw. Gasoline is dangerous!

sproqitman said:
I don't own a gas can. I haven't owned one in the last 15 years. Electric lawnmower, electric string trimmer, electric chain saw. Gasoline is dangerous!

Not to veer super off topic here... but how's that electric lawnmower in the PNW? Do you have to wait until the grass is bone dry? I suspect that doesn't happen often to either of us!

I have a full gas can in my garage right now for the lawnmower. I actually just had to drive to the gas station in the Leaf to fill it up!

I saw that this morning. Blame for this is being put in the wrong place. They're blaming the gas can mfg for the instance where a user pours gas into a hot engine, running or not, where the fuel vapors can touch a 400 degree surface and ignite. They can fault the mfg for not installing a vapor barrier in the gas can, but adding 20% to the cost of the product is a hard sell. Dealing with power tools is always dangerous. I'm not sure it's right to blame someone else for that 1 in a million chance where someone gets hurt for not knowing all the dangers.

RePo said:
I'm not sure it's right to blame someone else for that 1 in a million chance where someone gets hurt for not knowing all the dangers.
It isn't a matter of blame, it is a matter of taking all reasonable precautions to prevent your product being involved in burning your customers (who after all are humans that tend to do stupid things often because they don't know any better).

RePo said:
IThey're blaming the gas can mfg for the instance where a user pours gas into a hot engine, running or not, where the fuel vapors can touch a 400 degree surface and ignite.
As shown in the video, holding a lit tiki torch at the end of the spout can also be problematic.

pkulak said:
sproqitman said:
Not to veer super off topic here... but how's that electric lawnmower in the PNW? Do you have to wait until the grass is bone dry? I suspect that doesn't happen often to either of us!
I used to have a cordless Makita that struggled a bit when the grass got wet. Now I have a corded Black & Decker that handles it just fine. At least, I assume it does because my son hasn't complained about it.

sproqitman said:
Now I have a corded Black & Decker that handles it just fine. At least, I assume it does because my son hasn't complained about it.

I have a corded Black & Decker as well. It works just fine unless I let the grass get too tall.

LTLFTcomposite said:
As shown in the video, holding a lit tiki torch at the end of the spout can also be problematic.
Hmm... hasn't ever been a problem for me. Maybe I didn't have the spout at the right angle. ;)

They report 11 incidents since 1998...
Feels like a reporters trying to find something to write about...
You have much higher chance of dying from fall in the shower...
But yea, if you pour gasoline from the can on open fire it certainly a gas can manufacturer's fault for not thinking about it... I'm just surprised that electric cars are not blamed for it :)

$160 million settlement to gas can explosion lawsuits:

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/09/21822330-wal-mart-agrees-to-contribute-25-million-to-settle-gas-can-explosion-lawsuits?lite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stoaty said:
$160 million settlement to gas can explosion lawsuits:

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/09/21822330-wal-mart-agrees-to-contribute-25-million-to-settle-gas-can-explosion-lawsuits?lite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sooo surprised BP and Exxon is not in there... It's their gasoline that explodes... And they know that it can explode, and they still sell it, ... knowingly...

That's why I use diesel fuel to power my heavy lawn maintenance equipment. Heck, there is even a company in South Florida that sells push mowers powered with a little diesel engine. The sell mainly to the prisons & jails so the inmates can't play with the Flammmable Gas. They run forever but are pricey. This is why some people should just live in an apartment commplex and leave the "risky" jobs like cutting grass for the educated. How many times have we all read the owner's manual and it say's For A Reason now, to "NOT refuel a HOT lawn mower engine. DUH. This guy is just looking to toss the blame on somebody else. And I never store any Flammable fuel near my house/garage. Stupid Is and Stupid Does.....

pkulak said:
sproqitman said:

I have a full gas can in my garage right now for the lawnmower. I actually just had to drive to the gas station in the Leaf to fill it up!

nope. there is practically no risk of shock. I have both (just bought a gas can, my first in 20+ years) because I need it to mow part of my yard.

I was surprised when they said the the "best" conditions for an accident is when the engine was cool. that seems to be wrong. how can a spark or flame be ignited when there is no heat source? (assuming we are not wearing our "flinty" jeans...)

I only fill the mower at the beginning since I have so little to mow, a tank is really enough to mow the area probably 2-3 times. I top it off every session. I do know that I still have over half my $2 worth of gas left after 5 sessions.

Back