Certified Used Leaf Program - Dealers Know Nothing About It

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blimpy

Nissan needs to Giddy Up on a Dealer Education Program concerning the
Certified Warranty for Leafs.

Nissan Corporate Website says " ask for the Leaf Certified Warranty Booklet at the Dealership"

Call a few and ask for one !

0 Salesmen know nothing.. and what they think they know is usually Wrong !

0 Service Departments know nothing- and want to tell you what the gas car warranty is.

0 Used Car Salesman.. worse than useless.. often quoting Hybrid Warranty info.

I am trying to be an informed buyer of a lease return leaf... but so far the Certified Warranty terms
are impossible to find, so I may just as well buy anywhere. :?

I've been kind of studying the used market as well, just curious how the cars have held up. Condition as well as value.

The '11's and '12's are just coming off lease and there are a LOT of them around. Mostly NMAC has them and they are trying to auction them off thru their dealers and I'm sure at public auctions as well. Carmax has been buying a lot of them, early on their prices were stupid ($18-20K) but seem to be getting a litte more competitive ($15-16K) depending on miles and condition.

IMO the most critical thing is how many bars have dropped off reducing the battery capacity. I looked at two '12's last weekend, a SV and a SL and both were clean and nice, but one had 1 bar drop off and the other had 2. With a replacement batt at $5K one would want to either figure to not buy one or for sure buy one and consequently reflect on the price. This, in my opinion, is the gamble on the used one verses just getting a cheap payment on a new lease and not worry about it. I'm also not real excited about investing the full capital into a used one that's going to wear out and depreciate even further.

Carmax has a '11 SL with 1500 miles on it, full bars. But they want $17K. If I could get that car for wholesale, say $14K, even $15K I'd likely just jump on it at a low interest for 5 years. Darn close to a lease payment and then you will have whatever equity the car is worth after the 4 or 5 years. But it's hard for me to imaging keeping any car that long, so I'm likely better leasing a new one anyway and then move on. By 2017 there should be some real improvements in BEV performance.

I might be a buyer at 10k if the warranty was in place. Anything more it's just not worth the risk, people are buying new ones in GA for 13k.

When I purchased my "used" 2015 LEAF (245 miles is used?), the documentation came in a certified used Nissan folder. Inside, I found two stickers they were supposed to put on my LEAF to show it was "certified". Sounds like a lack of training and procedural documentation. Hey, Nissan! Are you hiring? ;)

Back