Why do I have to buy an additional cable to charge quickly?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
burtondav said:
My Leaf has the level 2 plug. But, I can't use it - unless I buy an additional EVSE cable.
It should come with the car.

People are bound to jump on you for language precision, but the J1772 is the same plug it's just that the supplied EVSE cannot handle 240v. It's that way because US sockets are not 240v standard

That assumes you're not talking about the larger separate QC plug on the left, that works only with (almost entirely) commercial EVSEs, and is indeed completely separate

Hun?

The Cable that comes with the Car is a L1 J1722 Plug @ 120v.

The L2 Charger runs at 208/220V uses the same J1772 Plug. Most home are not wired to run 220V with out changes to the homes eclectically system, Additional circuit breaker/wiring/Plug in garage area.

The L1 Charger is included in/with the car for "Emergency/Not everyday use" Its like carrying a can of gas in the back trunk (Witch you should not do.) So If you run out of battery power you can hopefully "Turtle" to a 120v outlet and get some power to get you moving again. You can find a 120V everywhere.

I carry a extra heavy duty Extension cord with my L1 in the car so it can reach further to get to a 120V plug.

burtondav said:

Well, it sort of does, if you send your EVSE to http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They will convert it to 240 VAC for MUCH faster charging. All you need is the proper 240 outlet to plug it into. But, commercial EVSE's are getting much cheaper, so most of us permanently install one in the garage, and keep the factory EVSE in the trunk for emergencies.

burtondav said:
My Leaf has the level 2 plug. But, I can't use it - unless I buy an additional EVSE cable.

That's arguable, but there are a number of factors that will determine which EVSE is best suited to your situation. It depends on the available wiring, panel capacity, electrical service, space, indoor/outdoor requirements, driving habits, desired recharge speed, etc... Lots of people don't have 240V outlets in the garage, or if they do they are already in use. Even where people do have 240V receptacles available, there are different plug types and amperages.

In places where 240V is the standard, it makes more sense for the Nissan unit to provide Level 2 "out of the box".

burtondav said:
The vehicle does come with a cable that does work.
Although it is a bit slow, the included cable should prove good for about 50 miles per day average.
I used the included cable for the first five months. Others have used the OEM L1 cable for years.

As said above a high powered L2 needs to be chosen by what is appropriate for your home or place of charging.

flyonpa said:
Most home are not wired to run 220V with out changes to the homes eclectically system...
Allow me to make a minor correction: Almost every home has 240V service. Your central A/C unit, clothes dryer, electric stove, furnace (gas or electric) all typically use 240V. It's not nearly as common for a home to have a 240V plug to connect appliances or your electric car to. That's where the changes to the electrical system come into play.

burtondav said:

I have NO idea what this actually means?

If you have EVER charged your car, you used the "level 2 plug"

Back