Unlimited milage lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNAinaGoodWay said:
If Mercedes can offer it, why not on the LEAF? It would be a fairly safe promotional gimmick for the current generation of LEAFs.
Where do you see MB offering it ?

evnow said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
If Mercedes can offer it, why not on the LEAF? It would be a fairly safe promotional gimmick for the current generation of LEAFs.
Where do you see MB offering it ?

Local radio and tv ads, but, now that I google it, they may be offering unlimited mileage warranties, not leases, and I just wasn't paying close enough attention to the ads. Ah well, this is the suggestion section, so Mercedes or not, I'll still suggest an unlimited mileage lease, even better if it came with an unlimited mileage warranty. Wouldn't cost them much if it was just for leases.

Honda offered it in the Fit EV because the cars are not going to be resold upon lease expiration....like that recent pic of the truckload of flattened BMW ActiveE's, the FitEV is going to face the same fate a few years from now. So it doesn't matter if the car has a zillion miles on it...as far as Honda is concerned, the car's residual value is scrap value.

But with most leases, the lessor is expecting to get auction value for the car if the lessee doesn't buy it. So the fewer the miles, the higher the expected auction value, which translates to a lower lease payment. While Nissan's residuals have been unrealistically optimistic so far, at least they're not losing almost the entire auction value of the car the way Honda will be on the Fit EV.

Plus the low production numbers of the Fit EV means it will have less of an impact on Honda's bottom line. At IIRC 1100 units per year, that's about 2 weeks worth of Leaf sales. Nissan will not be able to afford giving us unlimited mileage leases.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Wouldn't cost them much if it was just for leases.
How so ?

Just compare a usual 12k per year car in Seattle with the one that has record mileage on it.

evnow said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Wouldn't cost them much if it was just for leases.
How so ?

Just compare a usual 12k per year car in Seattle with the one that has record mileage on it.

May be. But statistically, how many LEAF drivers put on more than 12-15k/yr? Most leases are 2-3 yrs?

Nissan won't do it anyway. It's just a dumb suggestion.

I think such an offer would backfire because it would cause people to consider why/how the manufacturer would make such an offer. Then they would suspect the reason to be that the limited range means it's unlikely to rack up more than 15,000 miles per year. And at the end of that pondering, the prospective buyer is left focusing on the vehicle's range.

Back