A 12Kw charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XeonPony

An observation I have made in canada is all our L2 evse's on the high way are 240v at 70amp or higher, now even with the current 24KwH battery with a 12Kw charger you'd be recharged in 3h or less on average, which makes for much more reasonable commutes as an option.A 12Kw charger on board would greatly improve the functionality of the leaf for those who have more then the average city dwellers commute!

using the s versions liquid cooled 6.6 Kw charge option paralleled to the SV trims built in 6.6 would be a cheap efficient match, and would allow it to be an option, further logic to add to the benefits of doing this for Nissan would be that with a larger battery just means longer charge times with the current system. But by starting to equip vehicles now with a 12Kw charger it will make the leaf far more versatile and at the same time prime them for the event that Nissan decides to offer up a battery upgrade!

So for Nissan it is a win win in every way, faster charges and more practical to the average person, for my 62Km commute that would allow me to be fully charged in 1.5H at 12kw, that is the time it would take to get some thing to eat and do some shopping! and more people are used to "filling up" contently during their trips so even with current range it wouldn't be an issue for most to stop charge up then keep going!

RAV4-EV or Tesla is the current answer.

I assume the 70a was to "future proof" the installs. And I agree LEAF would sell good with larger battery and charger as an option.

In the US its mostly 6-7kw. Regardless with many 12kw EVSEs this makes the infrastructure more difficult if there were this many high public loads. Not very practical for the existing network. Do those units actually supply that or just have the 70A handles?

smkettner said:
RAV4-EV or Tesla is the current answer.

I assume the 70a was to "future proof" the installs. And I agree LEAF would sell good with larger battery and charger as an option.

The J1772 protocol in the US is 80 amps max, instead of 30 amps in the rest of the world. That is specifically at the request / demand of Tesla.

The 70 amp number just happens to be what the first over 30 amp AC powered car used: the Tesla Roadster.

Until very recently, the Roadster wouldn't charge at all if it had an over 70 amp signal, hence the de facto limit.

Now that the issue is fixed, the Tesla HPWC, Roadster and J1772 charge stations can all be 80 amps.

EVDRIVER said:
In the US its mostly 6-7kw. Regardless with many 12kw EVSEs this makes the infrastructure more difficult if there were this many high public loads. Not very practical for the existing network. Do those units actually supply that or just have the 70A handles?
Across Canada, the Sun Country Highway units supply 72A continuous. Roadster owners and others can drive all the way from British Columbia to Newfoundland, and Sun Country is now expanding into the US. See http://suncountryhighway.com/news-media/2013/10/giving-thanks-in-canada-for-electric-car-charging-on-roads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yup 70amp solid, I can tell just by the wire guage they used and the power disconects when pressent.

So a 12Kw charger would be the biggest boost to Nissans sales right away, as at home 30A charging will all ways ensure a fully charged car by lunch or morning + climate prep, then ont he street a 3H recharge from dead flat would be a massive improvement!

and since this will have to be don befor a larger battery, no point in a larger battery when it will then just take rest of the day to charge at the next L2 station! I want more batteries for my house, but it is a waste of time and money till I get more solar up, same game different board!

XeonPony said:
So for Nissan it is a win win in every way, faster charges and more practical to the average person, for my 62Km commute that would allow me to be fully charged in 1.5H at 12kw, that is the time it would take to get some thing to eat and do some shopping! and more people are used to "filling up" contently during their trips so even with current range it wouldn't be an issue for most to stop charge up then keep going!

Out of curiosity. How much more money would you be willing to pay for this option?

adric22 said:
Out of curiosity. How much more money would you be willing to pay for this option?
On the Tesla model S the dual charger option is $1500. Seems like a reasonable price to me for the same thing on a Nissan.

I emailed these guys http://www.emotorwerks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; awhile ago, and they said they were working on a replacement charger for the leaf to bump it up to 12kw or so.

KJD said:
adric22 said:
On the Tesla model S the dual charger option is $1500. Seems like a reasonable price to me for the same thing on a Nissan.
And since you already have a 6 kW charger I would expect a factory upgrade option at less than half or $700. Well worth it IMO.

adric22 said:
XeonPony said:

As said whats another 1,500 to have a more functional car.

I might be on the other side of the boat, but I'd pay $2k for it. I'd certainly love it at $700.
Honestly, I think the $1500 for the extra 10kW charger on the Tesla is a little cheap. $100k for a car, $1500 to charge it twice as fast.

I was already looking at the complexity of replacing the 6kW with the 25kW from EMW. Just guestimating that would cost around $3500 for parts and labor.

Back