Carwings USA/Canada

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tszukow

Hello Nissan, please integrate TCU unit so the carwings can work in both in USA and Canada.US using AT&T and Rogers in Canada. People like me who live near and cross frequently the border, carwings become useless after few km. System should have dual SIM cards, and capable operating in both systems automatically. Navigation cover both US and Canada, Carwings does not.

Not economically viable. The real problem is with the wireless SP's and roaming agreements; it's not nearly as common for folks to travel back & forth across country boarders in NA like it is in Europe (for example). The bigger issue is the TCU/modem upgrade that will become necessary by 2017 if CW is going to work at all.

tszukow said:
Hello Nissan, please integrate TCU unit so the carwings can work in both in USA and Canada.US using AT&T and Rogers in Canada. People like me who live near and cross frequently the border, carwings become useless after few km. System should have dual SIM cards, and capable operating in both systems automatically. Navigation cover both US and Canada, Carwings does not.

This should be an obvious and an easy one because:

- If I'm in my own city, I may already know some stations or use my own mobile phone internet connection.
- In a foreign city, I'm could rely on CARWINGS because I don't have data plan for the other country.
- Personal mobile phones in N. America can roam and partner with another mobile provider. Why can't CARWINGS? I believe Rogers' partner in the U.S. already is AT&T.

Stanton: All the major Canadian cities are close to the U.S. border (within a few hours). So basically, I'm lamenting this feature more for Canadians who travel often down there (and a lot do). And of course, drivers in U.S. states that are closer up north would benefit.

From what I have dug up Rogers doesn't plan on getting rid of the 2g network any time soon, so that will be some good news for us Canadians. This will all be a non issue when AT&T dumps 2g.

But yes it would be a simple roaming agreement for now. There shouldn't be any need to change anything in the cars, I'm actually kind of surprised that Nissan Canada didn't work this out when the cars launched here. I can see the US forgetting about us and not letting their cars work up here but as previously stated a very high percentage of Canadians live close to the border.

I spent 2 years in Windsor, I could never get over the fact that the US and the border was to the North there LOL.

Back