Leaf all around view cameras as recording dash camera.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tszukow

Waiting for my Nissan leaf, and first thing I will modify is install my current 20$ dash camera from ebay inside glove box and try to connect to front Nissan stock camera.
I do not like have camera mounted on the windshield and wires hanging to cigarette power socket (in my Prius now).
All it need is SD card recorder hidden some place eg. glove box. Recording cameras are big help when comes to collision or vandalism to deal with insurance and police. Dash camera starts recording when power up the car, and record in the loop very good quality video and voice plus time and date.
I will post when successful.

If fish-eye view is not usable I will remove original camera chip from the dashboard cam and install in front grill. All it need is mini AV RCA extension cable, and tap 12V power (should be plenty under dashboard like NAV unit). I will post it.
I have done few good modifications in my 2001 Prius (remote control heater, flipping back seat etc) and post it on Prius forum.

A year + later since this thread was active. How did this project go, if it went at all? Another thought that entered my mind is to use a pair of those license plate frame parking cams, dunno if those would tend to overheat (i've heard some are designed only for brief on time), and have them feed some centralized DVR (rather than just a view monitor).

Has this request been updated since the last old post? I know that Tesla does it automatically, and transmits it to phone if the phone is not in the car.

Someone could put together a five-channel NTSC/PAL multiplexer+buffer and make a kit to wire it in the Leaf, but who would pay the $20k in development cost when probably less than 10 people would be willing to buy it?

Leaf is PAL? Or NTSC? I would figure by now you could buy a NTSC/PAL adapter for $19.95 or something. It would easily fit on a single chip. But even worldwide, there probably isn't much of a market. For devices that need both I'd guess they come with both embedded in them.

Back