Hyper-efficient follow-on model

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarenRei

I mourn the slow downfall of Aptera, and one day hope that *someone* will actually bring a hyper-efficient EV to market. If Nissan does so, they will have my eternal gratitude (and more of my money). Extremely low energy consumption per mile doesn't only mean a smaller environmental impact; it means less cost per mile, faster charging from a given amount of power, a smaller battery pack (and thus lower cost and lower maintenance), and all sorts of other benefits.

$10m is nothing, and the X-Prize alternative-class is only worth $2.5m. $10m means "the lights don't go off this summer".

True, small numbers compared to what's needed.

I wasn't thinking of the x-prize in terms of the award money, however. I think the winner will be in a much better position to get additional venture capital. Um, compared to the losers, that is...

I think Nissan should make a nice commuter EV. Yes the LEAF is a great way to show EVs don't have to be small or "weird" (ps...i love the Aptera, so weird is good for me :) ). But something like the Fit in size or smaller (the Fiat 500 is dead sexy to me). The LEAF is really more car than I need for my commute. I will love it. I will drive it often. I want Nissan and others to succeed at making EVs. I want to support EVs coming to market. But if I had my choice of a class c car vs a smaller car...well for me smaller is better.

Yes it would be cool if Nissan did a teardrop car for aero and weight reductions, but a Class B or even a Class A car done right and EV would be grand too.

Gavin

Dav said:
True, small numbers compared to what's needed.

I wasn't thinking of the x-prize in terms of the award money, however. I think the winner will be in a much better position to get additional venture capital. Um, compared to the losers, that is...

True...probably. But there will be three "winners" which I think is confusing. And the mainstream winner will likely get the most press. Basically whoever of the three winners jumps the hardest and with the most cash and press will be seen as the true winner. The other two will have to fight a bit harder to get the recognition.

And with so many major companies suddenly starting up EV production (Nissan, Ford, Fiat/Chrysler, etc etc..and the Volt), well suddenly it doesn't look like such a bright future to be a small start up. Before there was little to no competition. Now not so much. Would you invest millions on the Aptera? Maybe a couple of years ago when it looked to be the only affordable highway capable multi-passenger EV. Now it will be coming out after Nissan, and maybe after Ford and Th!nk and others. Suddenly it seems like a less likely venture to throw money at.

Can it sell? Sure. Will it sell? I don't know...not in huge numbers. Not when major companies are selling EVs for less and have more seats.

Gavin

Coming out with two seats and twice the post tax-credit price tag in its initial market (CA) (doesn't quality for the full state tax credit and only $2.5k of federal tax credits). And it's no longer nearly as efficient as it once was. It's going to be a hard sell.

... to the DOE. Because they've really bet the farm on landing DOE money.

Back