Think City EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch672

Anyone considering one of these? Think USA is bankrupt, so is enerdel (who made the battery pack), however, there are 150 cars left in the US, from the plant in Indiana. A dealer in Maryland bought the remaining inventory, and is trying to get $22.5K for the cars, after the $7,500 federal credit, it brings the price down to a very reasonable $15K. It has a 24KW lithium pack, about 100-120 miles range, it's just a 2 seater, and just 10' 3" in length.

see the links below, the dealer has a few of them listed on eBay, and I am also posting the think usa site as well, he is only selling in CARB states, as they are somehow bartering the $4K credit to other auto mfrs.

Mitch

http://www.thinkev-usa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a story and a review of the Th!nk City:
http://i.autoblog.com/2011/06/27/2011-think-city-quick-spin-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

link from plug in cars: http://www.plugincars.com/think-city-ev-available-immediately-us.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

link to Maryland dealer: http://www.eurostarautos.com/inventory.cfml?rmake=THINK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-THINK-CITY-ELECTRIC-CAR-/120897031320?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c26064c98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My work has a Think Neighborhood that they've had for at least 5 years (I started here 5 years ago and they had it when I started). Great little thing to zip around in for local errands in San Francisco. Goes about 25mph on slight downhills ;-)

The Think City has a top speed of 70-75mph, it's a liitle more than an NEV, if you've seen any episodes of "Lilyhammer" on Netflix, thats what Steven Van Zandt can be seen driving around in.

We leased a Think City from Ford a decade ago, and we were sorry to see it go. That version had half the range, a top speed of 55 mph, no A/C, manual locks/windows, and we still loved it. Ford taking the car at the end of the 3-year lease had a good deal to do with our decision to purchase (rather than lease) the Leaf.

I think $15k net is a reasonable price, given the speed/range seem comparable to the Leaf, and the restriction (only 2 seats). My wife and I used the City as a commuter car, and the amount of cargo space behind the seats was astonishing - it was great for running errands and picking up stuff.

There was also a "Think Neighborhood", which was really a golf cart with seat belts and headlights, but it was limited to streets with lower speed limits. The City was freeway legal, if not (at 55 mpg) freeway-comfortable/friendly. We took it to LAX several times, but were the slowest car on the Century freeway.

I owned a Think City. It's a nice car and has many merits but it is not like a LEAF. The issue will be parts and service and unless you are adventurous and an EV tech I would pass. Replacing body parts in an accident can be an issue even with the parts stocking requirements set by the gov. If it were $10K I would buy one. I will say it is a great city EV and in no way an NEV, it was my favorite EV.

mitch672 said:
The Think City has a top speed of 70-75mph, it's a liitle more than an NEV, if you've seen any episodes of "Lilyhammer" on Netflix, thats what Steven Van Zandt can be seen driving around in.

It's not a little more it's a full EV and not even remotely comparable to an NEV in any way.

EVDRIVER said:
I owned a Think City. It's a nice car and has many merits but it is not like a LEAF. The issue will be parts and service and unless you are adventurous and an EV tech I would pass. Replacing body parts in an accident can be an issue even with the parts stocking requirements set by the gov. If it were $10K I would buy one. I will say it is a great city EV and in no way an NEV, it was my favorite EV.

I was thinking of offering them less, but, on the phone today he basically said they bought them for $21K, so I tend to doubt they would take a $17.5K offer... Might be worth a shot though. Yeah, the spare parts and service situation is concerning, but I saw over on the Think Yahoo newsgroup, they are using mostly off the shelf ford parts for wheel bearings, brakes, etc. check it out:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/think_ev/messages" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whats attractive to me is the price, it's less than half the cost of the Leaf, and for commuting and running around town, it would be fine.

Tack on the $6K Colorado rebate and we are talking $9K! Might be fun to buy one of these at that price.

Just heard from my insurance agent, no one is willing to write the insurance policy for the Think City, glad I checked before buying one. Not too happy about this..

reeler said:
Tack on the $6K Colorado rebate and we are talking $9K! Might be fun to buy one of these at that price.

yes, except Colorado is not one of the "ZEV" states the remaining cars are being offered in... here is the list of states, they are giving the mfr a $4,000 credit, they are using this barter (sell more likely for a discount) with other auto mfrs, so they will only sell the remaining cars in these states (for the $22.5K, or at all it seems)

Arizona
California
Connecticut
Maryland
Maine
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New York
Rhode Island
Vermont
Maryland
New Mexico
Oregon

mitch672 said:
reeler said:

yes, except Colorado is not one of the "ZEV" states the remaining cars are being offered in...

except he can do the same as he did with the Leaf, purchase it at his San Diego address and then move it to Colorado.

mitch672 said:
Just heard from my insurance agent, no one is willing to write the insurance policy for the Think City, glad I checked before buying one. Not too happy about this..

You would probably be better off with a 'specialty' car insurer anyway (Haggerty, CHROME, etc.) at least worth a shot, I have one insure my '99 Miata for an ACV (actual cash value) policy. Looks like we couldn't buy one even if we wanted to (am in IL which is odd as these get assembled in IN); the Th!nk will definitely be a novelty although I did see one running around this past winter well before we got our LEAF in December around Chicago; I wonder what that buyer did if his 'regular' insurer told him he was going to drop him? I did see the Lillyhammer series and can recall that little car running around in the winter w/o much trouble -- it played it small role but the tie in to Norway in general was really for only those who might know about the Th!nk at all ... yet another failed attempt for more electric cars, it's a tough business

redLEAF said:
mitch672 said:

You would probably be better off with a 'specialty' car insurer anyway (Haggerty, CHROME, etc.) at least worth a shot, I have one insure my '99 Miata for an ACV (actual cash value) policy. Looks like we couldn't buy one even if we wanted to (am in IL which is odd as these get assembled in IN); the Th!nk will definitely be a novelty although I did see one running around this past winter well before we got our LEAF in December around Chicago; I wonder what that buyer did if his 'regular' insurer told him he was going to drop him? I did see the Lillyhammer series and can recall that little car running around in the winter w/o much trouble -- it played it small role but the tie in to Norway in general was really for only those who might know about the Th!nk at all ... yet another failed attempt for more electric cars, it's a tough business

Safety: (Existing Homeowners and Vehicle policys): Won't even quote/write it
Commerce: will not consider writing it
Haggerty: No, they cannot insure cars newer than 1987 in my state (MA)
CHROME; not interested
Progressive: Took hours, finally they could only "rate" a 2008 Think, and they want $1600 for 6 MONTHS, over $3200 / year. as an example, I only pay $1900 per year, for my 1994 Suburban AND 2010 Prius. Totaly out of line, would not spend that kind of money on insurance.

EgH3Z.jpg

Holy cow! The Maryland dealer is about 12 miles from me!
I'm going to try to get over there on Saturday and try to get
a test drive.

"Just plug in your home outlet and let charge overnight like
your cell phone... Good for 100 miles per charge...
• Air Bag"
!!??

Any specific questions that you'd like me to ask...
pictures you'd like me to take?

FWIW, here's some comparative specs on the THINK City:
(In inches) ……………...… I ……… Smart .… LEAF ….. Think
Length ………………….. 144.8 ….. 106.1 ….. 175.0 …….123.7
Width ……………....…..… 62.4 ….… 61.4 ..….. 69.7 ……. 65.3
Height ……………….….… 63.6 …... 60.7 ……… 61 …..… 62.8
Wheel Base ……………...100.4 …... 73.5 …... 106.3……..77.6 **
Max cargo …………...….. 50.4 …… 7.8 …….. 24.0 …….. 19
Curb weight (lbs) …...… 2579 …… 2315 .… 3366 …… 2290/2348
Turning circle (ft) …….… 29.5 ...… 28.7 …… 34 ….……..29.5
** This doesn't look right if the LOA is 123.7.

My favorite video review:
THINK City

Let us know what you think, I'm a bigger guy and I'm wondering how easy the ingress/egress is for the driver.. For example, I have no issues getting into my 2010 Prius, but I basically could not get into the drivers seat on a 2012 Volt, I had to get in head first and slide... The clearance is a lot less on the Volt than the Prius.. If I can find someone to insure the Think (for a reasonable price, $3,600/year is not reasonable), I may get down their for a test drive myself... No one seems to have one in my state (MA)

mitch672 said:
redLEAF said:
mitch672 said:

Safety: (Existing Homeowners and Vehicle policys): Won't even quote/write it
Commerce: will not consider writing it
Haggerty: No, they cannot insure cars newer than 1987 in my state (MA)
CHROME; not interested
Progressive: Took hours, finally they could only "rate" a 2008 Think, and they want $1600 for 6 MONTHS, over $3200 / year. as an example, I only pay $1900 per year, for my 1994 Suburban AND 2010 Prius. Totaly out of line, would not spend that kind of money on insurance.

Sorry, perhaps I should have been more specific, I should know the trials and tribulations related to car insurance in MA when I was helping my son move out that way -- he ended up in southern NH partially due to the insurance reg's (Allstate doesn't have auto policies there) as well as cost of living (works in Lowell, lives in Nashua). In any case, because I'm in IL it didn't matter as I can use any of the above you've already mentioned but please try these folks before totally giving up; they list MA as a state they do insure in; my policy has NO mileage restrictions but we're both over 25, car is stored in a garage, etc., etc. -- :

American Modern Insurance Group

http://www.amig.com/index.html

Is it just collision and comprehensive that is an issue with the major insurance companies on something like this or will they not do liability coverage either? Interesting, if you can't insure a car it has near zero value except to the extent you can self-insure it. But that only works if you can still get liability.

Back