Official Ford Focus Electric Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

edit : Checkout the price & build at http://www.ford.com/electric/focuselectric/2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Only one trim
- Base price of 39,200 + 795 delivery. SO, exactly $4,000 more than Leaf.
- Only one option is the leather trim for $995
- 5 colors. Black, silver, glass. Blue is $395 extra. White if $495.
- Std features not described

How to reserve : http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/microsites/electrificationreservations/brochures/focus_electric_pdf.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More info : http://green.autoblog.com/2011/11/02/ford-focus-electric-priced-from-39-200/#continued" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Focus Electric comes standard with: MyFord Touch with 8-inch touchscreen; two driver-configurable 4.2-inch color LCD displays in cluster for unique EV driving screens; MyFord™ Mobile App (for remotely monitoring and scheduling battery charging with owners' smartphone as well as remote start); HID Headlamps; 17-inch aluminum wheels, ambient lighting, seats made from 100-percent recycled material; Rear Camera with Rear Parking Sensor; Intelligent Access with Push-Button Start; MyKey®; voice-activated Navigation System; Particulate Air Filter; hands-free SYNC® Bluetooth telephone connectivity with Traffic, Direction and Information Services; electronic traction control; Sony®-Branded audio with nine speakers; SIRIUS® Satellite Radio and HD Radio™.

111102+CarShow-21+THUMB.jpg

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2011/11/02/ford-opens-ordering-for-electric-focus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ford Motor Co. on Wednesday will launch a website to start taking customer orders for its battery-electric Focus compact car, due to hit showrooms in 19 markets during the next year.

Ford says its all-electric Focus will start at $39,995. Buyers may qualify for a federal tax credit of $7,500 and certain states, such as California, have additional subsidies. Would-be buyers of the Focus Electric will have only a few choices to make when ordering: leather seats are optional, and there are two paint colors.

As predicted ... well, in my head. ;)
That is, it would be higher priced than Leaf, but just dollars below $40k (i.e., $39,990 -39,999).
This will be interesting to watch. Competition is good.

JPVLeaf said:
That is, it would be higher priced than Leaf, but just dollars below $40k (i.e., $39,990 -39,999).
Well, 15% got it right in the poll.

IBELEAF said:
Overpriced...

+1, and not good for the growth of the EV market, IMO.

And just two paint colors?!? :eek: And folks have been saying that Nissan's five colors were a weak offering. At least there's a leather option. I wonder if the power seats will be included or available, or if they were deleted for weight savings.

It will be interesting to hear the weight and performance reports, as well as the mpge rating. I'm still predicting that it'll be heavier than the LEAF due to the built-in weight of the components necessary to make the ICE version on the same assembly line. And with the batteries in the rear luggage area, I'm expecting a rear weight bias and a center of gravity that's higher than it should be.

Volusiano said:
Does it have an option for a Quick Charger port?

Nope. They are relying on their larger built-in Level 2 charger (6.6 kW). Also, Ford is part of the group of automakers that are waiting for a new SAE standard quick charge port design, which hasn't been finalized. There is no way that they were going to support Nissan and Mitsubishi's CHAdeMO standard.

Is that $39,995 with destination charge (same price as a base Volt), or without the destination charge?

evnow said:
JPVLeaf said:
Well, 15% got it right in the poll.
Yes, my selection in the poll was for "$39,000 -39,999".
There was no option for "$39,990 -39,999". :cool:

Rusty said:
Is that $39,995 with destination charge (same price as a base Volt), or without the destination charge?

With the destination charge: see http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/byo/byoCustomizeVehicle.do?year=2012&brand=volt&evar10=byo_path_buildbytrim&pvc=500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably a bit cheaper in some states, like CA, where it will qualify for the $2,500 CVRP rebate, while the Volt doesn't. Also, maybe the Focus EV will be a bit better equipped than the base Volt.

Boomer23 said:
Rusty said:
With the destination charge: see http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/byo/byoCustomizeVehicle.do?year=2012&brand=volt&evar10=byo_path_buildbytrim&pvc=500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Either I'm confused, or you're confused, or we both are. Yes, the Volt is $39,995 with the destination (base price $39,145). Is the $39,995 for the FFE with the destination (making the base FFE and Volt the same price) or without the destination (making the base FFE more than the base Volt)?
Probably a bit cheaper in some states, like CA, where it will qualify for the $2,500 CVRP rebate, while the Volt doesn't.
Yet... By the time the FFE comes out that'll probably be moot. It's not clear when the Volt will be AT-PZEV, but it should be sometime during the MY '12 run (which means probably before the FFE hits the streets).
Also, maybe the Focus EV will be a bit better equipped than the base Volt.
Interesting thought. The base Volt isn't that bad a car. All said, adding in the PiP the $3x,xxx price market is getting pretty crowded.

Rusty said:
Yet... By the time the FFE comes out that'll probably be moot. It's not clear when the Volt will be AT-PZEV, but it should be sometime during the MY '12 run (which means probably before the FFE hits the streets).
Technically that would be a $1250 rebate as opposed to a $2500 rebate for the Focus. Not a huge difference but noticeable.

Rusty said:
Boomer23 said:
Rusty said:
Either I'm confused, or you're confused, or we both are.

:lol: I'll take the hit on that one. Semantics got me, I guess.

What is the EPA rating? (Leaf is 72?) I wonder if it's going to have the 80% charging rule, too, or not?

And battery chemistry? Manganese or Iron Phosphate?

At that price ($40K), why would people want to buy it over the 2013 Leaf that would have the 6.6KW charger, assuming that 2013 Leaf pricing is same as 2012?

Boomer23 said:
IBELEAF said:
Overpriced...

+1, and not good for the growth of the EV market, IMO.

And just two paint colors?!? :eek: And folks have been saying that Nissan's five colors were a weak offering. At least there's a leather option. I wonder if the power seats will be included or available, or if they were deleted for weight savings.

It will be interesting to hear the weight and performance reports, as well as the mpge rating. I'm still predicting that it'll be heavier than the LEAF due to the built-in weight of the components necessary to make the ICE version on the same assembly line. And with the batteries in the rear luggage area, I'm expecting a rear weight bias and a center of gravity that's higher than it should be.

You mean like the LEAF platform modification/conversion. Don't forget the LEAF is not a ground-up build regardless of the marketing speak and it is on a shared line and has many, many parts off other Nissan cars, even their trucks. A model S is a ground-up EV.

If that is the base price it's going to be a tough sell. My guess is it will handle better then the LEAF and seem nicer overall with better features and materials.

They might actually sell a decent amount. I think that Ford has a lot of die hard fans that are willing to spend a little extra to "keep it in the Brand". GM had a lot of those followers too, but I believe the bailout really took a toll on their fan base. I'd still rather have a base model leaf for about 5k less. I will admit, the Ford Sync system is pretty nice, but not 5k nice.

Back