It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:07 pm 
Gold Member

kmp647 wrote:
over on the Focus EV forum one of the first owners made a trip report, he drove 76 miles home on the highway and arrived with a first battery warning low lamp

whats intersting is he plugged in at home on his L2 evse at 5:45pm and reported a full charge at 10:30pm

5 hours and 45 minutes?

he is using an spx unit I think. on a 40amp breaker and set to the 32amp threshold

if the car was drawing all it could this does not seem to jive with Fords charge time claim

"On the way back I started with 84 miles range, ran 65mph (seems equally as efficient as 60) only getting a couple of surplus miles until I crossed the mountain and then got about 12 surplus. Once over the mountain, I ran the AC some, 3 fan notches. I got home with zero range left, yellow warning light on stating I needed to charge and only the 10 miles surplus left. Made it home at 4:45 PM and plugged in. In the first hour of charging since plugging in after the yellow warning light, I’ve picked up 35 miles. It reached 50%, 40 miles in 75 minutes. But it took until 10:30 PM for the battery to fully charge."

152 mile round trip. charged for 2:45 at his destination, so likly was not full before return trip. Return trip was to second low battery warning, average speed was 65. He also mentioned that the charge was 50% after 1:15. what we dont know was the current draw profile, and how the pack does it's balancing. MINI E took 45 minutes to balance after reaching 100%SOC.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:14 am 
Gold Member

Delivery Date: 02 Nov 2011
All I know is this guy does not know how to hypermile!

I drive 76 miles daily in my LEAF, generally at 55 mph, sometimes with A/C or Heated Seats, sometimes with fan-only (convoluted button setting) and almost always get home with 2-3 bars and also take about 4h45 to charge back to 100%. I know this because it's 4 hours of super-off-peak (max) and 45 or so of off-peak but never more than 5 hours as peak begins at 6am. Some days I don't have enough time to charge to completion and in those I wish I had a faster charger. Imagine what I could do with a 6.6kW. But still, seems a bit laggy compared to our 3.7kW. I can say this, my TOU data says the kW-half-hours I use are almost always around 1.9 (3.8kWh per hour) even for the last complete half-hour of charging.

Long Live CO2 Fre, Maxed 2013 SL, 20,000 mi/yr lease.
http://aecn.timehorse.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:07 pm 

TimeHorse wrote:

Or perhaps he has no wish to hypermile, and just wants to drive his Focus like any other car?

When nurturing a new technology, under-promise and over-deliver, not the opposite.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:05 pm 
Gold Member

TimeHorse wrote:

Focus display seems to hold the initial range calculation that counts down with the odometer, and a “Surplus” or "Status" number of miles that you have accumulated by conservative driving. Based on his post he seems to have saved 10 miles of range over his 76mile trip. Judged by that readout, he drove on the conservative side.

FFE Owners Manual wrote:
Budget Text View: contains basic information to help you reach your next charging destination or to achieve your vehicle range estimate.
Charge pt: is the distance remaining to the next charge point you identified using the Navigation system.
Surplus: is the available range beyond your identified charge point (current Range Estimate shown on Battery Gauge minus Charge pt distance)

Budget: is set to the Range Estimate at the point of departure. This will count down with the odometer.
Status: is your performance against your Budget (current Range Estimate shown on Battery Gauge minus Budget distance). A positive Status indicates you are using less energy than typical and have extended your Range Estimate by the distance shown.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:31 am 

kmp647 wrote:
over on the Focus EV forum one of the first owners made a trip report, he drove 76 miles home on the highway and arrived with a first battery warning low lamp

whats intersting is he plugged in at home on his L2 evse at 5:45pm and reported a full charge at 10:30pm

5 hours and 45 minutes?

he is using an spx unit I think. on a 40amp breaker and set to the 32amp threshold

if the car was drawing all it could this does not seem to jive with Fords charge time claim

Apparently, he (Whit Gallman) was the third retail delivery. First was an internal delivery to a Ford employee, and the 2nd was to someone who wanted to remain anonymous.

Whit was nice enough to do a little write-up for us on his experiences with the Focus Electric, with some extensive details on the charging unit and setup if your interested.
http://insideevs.com/early-ford-focus-e ... loving-it/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:26 am 
Gold Member

Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Galpin Ford's Focus Electric sales estimate hints at low, low numbers

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/06/11/ga ... ow-low-nu/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:17 am 

kmp647 wrote:

5 hours and 45 minutes?

Isn't that only 4 hours and 45 mins?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:27 am 
Gold Member

Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Or doesn't care to. Not everyone enjoys doing so regularly... I drive only as efficiently as I need to to go the distance that I need on a given day, planning to arrive home at the LBW. If it is a short distance day, I'll happily run along at 70 on the freeways...

TimeHorse wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:54 pm 

Delivery Date: 06 Feb 2012
I went to look at a EV Focus in Livermore. When I arrived I saw a black ev that was completely dead. They couldn't even unlock the doors. I liked the looks of the car but I did not like the $3k markup from the greedy dealer. I left in my working Leaf. I really want a second EV but dealers are making it hard for me to want to buy from them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:04 pm 
Gold Member

Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Yep, I too have no interest in hypermiling unless I absolutely must for a given trip's range requirement.

GRA wrote:
TimeHorse wrote:

Or perhaps he has no wish to hypermile, and just wants to drive his Focus like any other car?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 57  Next