It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:04 am 

TonyWilliams wrote:
or have a political issue to "buy 'merican".

you mean assembled here/have "'merican" badge, because nowadays is very hard to track where parts for final product are produced

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:26 am 

Leaf Number: 00000
EdmondLeaf wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:

you mean assembled here/have "'merican" badge, because nowadays is very hard to track where parts for final product are produced

My parents would fall in this category. So, when I look up their GM pickup truck, it was built in Canada. The GM Cruze is built in Korea. Lots of 'merican cars built in Mexico.

But, it's still a political issue. They aren't going to buy a Toyota pickup made in Texas.

EVRAV4, was PLGS IN (#2244), & PLGIN2 (#20782)

Range Chart
All EV Rally, BC2BC, Mexico 2 Canada, Aug 10, 2014
100 Mile Club + Longest Drive
Next San Diego EVent
Battery Degradation Summary

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:41 am 
Gold Member

TonyWilliams wrote:
...The 6.6 charger will be matched by the LEAF in just a handful of months...

It will be a wasted opportunity if 2013 LEAF only "matched" the FFE 6.6kW charger rather than adopting Renault “Chameleon” 43kW on-board charger as a clear advantage.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:16 am 

Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012
are there any approved 208V tri-phase connectors for public use?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:47 am 
Gold Member

Delivery Date: 02 Nov 2011
TonyWilliams wrote:
EdmondLeaf wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:

My parents would fall in this category. So, when I look up their GM pickup truck, it was built in Canada. The GM Cruze is built in Korea. Lots of 'merican cars built in Mexico.

But, it's still a political issue. They aren't going to buy a Toyota pickup made in Texas.

Or a 2013 LEAF made in Tennessee; one of my main regrets is that my LEAF wasn't built in the US but in my book the 2013s will be!

Long Live CO2 Fre, Maxed 2013 SL, 20,000 mi/yr lease.
http://aecn.timehorse.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:10 pm 
Gold Member

Herm wrote:
are there any approved 208V tri-phase connectors for public use?

I'd be happy using the 17kW stations already here .

"It is the first electric vehicle capable of being charged at any power level up to 43kW "

Chameleon charger

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:14 pm 

Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
I have to be honest: When shopping for a vehicle, where it was built is near the bottom on my considerations list... With it being such a global economy today, it is nearly meaningless anyway...

TimeHorse wrote:
Or a 2013 LEAF made in Tennessee; one of my main regrets is that my LEAF wasn't built in the US but in my book the 2013s will be!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:00 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:
kubel wrote:
The FFE is all around just a better car- from quality to power to efficiency to handling. The only problem I have with the FFE is the leg room (particularly, knee room). The LEAF seemed to be a lot less bothersome than the FFE.

Since you're from the motor city area, I am going to guess any Japanese car is "not quite as good". I'll suggest that Ford hasn't spent but a fraction of the money and effort in this car that Nissan has spent on theirs.

I don't fit in a Focus, and I'm only 6'2". I need a larger trunk space that the Focus doesn't have. There may be slightly more power, and perhaps better handling; both of these are secondary concerns to me.

I don't agree with your thoughts on ChaDeMo, but not a surprising comment for a Detroit centric mindset.

I doubt there is greater real range in the Ford over the LEAF; I would guess they are merely comparable, with perhaps a slightly greater advantage to the Ford at speeds over 60mph if it is more aerodynamic (it should be if done right with a slightly smaller car). The 6.6 charger will be matched by the LEAF in just a handful of months.

The final issues with a converted Focus is weight. I suspect it is significantly heavier than a LEAF.

I don't see a single category that a Focus would be an improvement over a LEAF for me. The Toyota Rav-4 EV is my next choice.

For you, no. The only area where I see the Focus having a potential advantage over the Leaf is in more extreme climates. The TMS should keep range up in cold weather, and improve battery pack life in hot weather. But for those of us living in coastal California neither of those factors is likely to outweigh the price difference and other disadvantages. In Chicago, Minneapolis, Phoenix or Dallas the calculus may well be different.

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do YOU do, Sir?" J.M. Keynes

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:04 pm 
Gold Member

Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
TonyWilliams wrote:
EdmondLeaf wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:

Chevy Cruze is not built in Korea. It's built in the Lordstown plant in OH (http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/comp ... stown.html). Supposedly it was designed by GM in Germany (Opel) and designed by GM Daewoo (http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2011-c ... e-car-news) and was first sold as a GM/Daewoo Lacetti for awhile before it appeared as the Cruze here.

Yep, lots of 'merican cars built in Canada and Mexico. But they're both part of North America. ;)

On a related note, people might find http://www.caranddriver.com/features/a- ... ca-feature insightful.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:25 pm 

Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
cwerdna wrote:
On a related note, people might find http://www.caranddriver.com/features/a- ... ca-feature insightful.
Cool charts and very informative. Ford Focus at 84%. Volt info appears to be dated as it is footnoted.
Quote:
Volt Nov 2011 webchat
1:21 - Comment From Patrick
When do you expect to see the battery and engine being made in Michigan instead of overseas?

1:22 - Andrew Farah: Patrick: The battery pack is already made in Michigan at GM's Brownstown, Mich., battery manufacturing plant. Additionally, LG Chem, the company that supplies our battery cells will begin manufacturing cells in Holland, Mich., next year. Also, the 1.4L engine used in the Volt is now manufactured in Flint, Mich.

cwerdna wrote:
[Chevy Cruze] was designed by GM in Germany (Opel)
It and several cars are based on the same Delta II platform.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Delta_platform
Quote:
Delta II is General Motors' future compact car platform, which was developed by Opel in Germany. It is the successor to the GM Delta platform. Internally it is simply known as a new Global Compact Vehicle Architecture or GCV.
The platform features a torsion beam rear suspension with optional Watt's link which improves vehicle handling; such configuration is used in the Opel Astra and the American-market Chevrolet Cruze.[1][2]
GM chose this compact vehicle architecture for its first Voltec application, the Chevrolet Volt. Production began in November 2010 with the first Chevrolet Volts delivered to retails customers in December 2010[3]
Applications
Production vehicles based on Delta II platform:
2008 Chevrolet Cruze, Daewoo Lacetti Premiere, Holden Cruze[4]
2009 Opel Astra, Buick Excelle XT
2010 Chevrolet Volt
2010 Chevrolet Orlando
2011 Buick Verano
2011 Opel Ampera
2011 Opel Zafira Tourer

Announced production vehicles to be based on Delta II platform:
2013 Cadillac ELR[5][6]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 58  Next