dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Re: Chevrolet to Produce Spark EV All-Electric Vehicle

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:35 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
ITestStuff wrote:Makes sense to start with a small car.

Tesla questioned that conventional wisdom and so far is the only one with a winner on their hands. Why not an ev impala? With 40 kwh.
Cost? Who is going to buy that very expensive 40 kWh Impala? Surely not the wealthy folks who are purchasing the Tesla S instead of a BMW or Mercedes.

The advantage of a small car is that the lower weight and small cross-sectional area (low drag) means that fewer expensive (and heavy) batteries are needed to give it a reasonable urban-commuter range at an affordable price. It is a reasonable approach, assuming that the manufacturer is serious about making BEVs a success, something that remains an open question for GM.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:27 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:Who is going to buy that very expensive 40 kWh Impala?

Price doesn't seem to be that big an inhibitor to people, I bet there are a lot more takers for a pricey full sized sedan than there are for a micro car. Have you looked at the spark? Seriously. that thing put the E in Tine-EE, other than some high school kids you won't get many takers there. This car is bad for EV adoption, almost as bad as the imev, furthering the golf cart stereotype.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

scottf200
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:35 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:

Price doesn't seem to be that big an inhibitor to people, I bet there are a lot more takers for a pricey full sized sedan than there are for a micro car. Have you looked at the spark? Seriously. that thing put the E in Tine-EE, other than some high school kids you won't get many takers there. This car is bad for EV adoption, almost as bad as the imev, furthering the golf cart stereotype.
You may be right but it seems there may be some other things to think about.
a) USA slant/perspective tho?
b) I have a friend that drives a mini-cooper because it is fun and likes the performance (a little go-kart-ish).

BTW, they put the SPORT button near the shifter on the SPARK EV and it is not a "mode" (hold,normal,mtn). Rumor is that it does more than remap the "normal" pedal to be more aggressive in the early foot pressure/travel. (By comparison remember in the Volt the SPORT and NORMAL are the same if you push it to the floor).
Last edited by scottf200 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used' self | RIP '16 P90DL Sig self |
'18 Tesla Model 3 LR kid1 |
'11 Volt kid2 | '16 Volt for wife | '12 Volt kid1's spouse

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:53 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:The advantage of a small car is that the lower weight and small cross-sectional area (low drag) means that fewer expensive (and heavy) batteries are needed to give it a reasonable urban-commuter range at an affordable price.

Just too many me-too cars chasing a very small compliance EV market. Even the definitely not me-too RAV4EV has problems selling.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:37 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
No, it isn't as if I would EVER see a Spark around here. I do like the roominess of the LEAF but if a Spark-type vehicle were significantly cheaper for the range I would have considered it (I used to drive a '73 Honda Civic, so I do know tiny and "tinny"). And the subcompact Honda Fit-EV compliance car is reported to have quite good performance.

One of the things I didn't like about the Volt after driving it for several hours was how cramped it felt and how awkward it was to get in and out of (I am fairly tall). Getting back into my LEAF was a relief. So, I may have been spoiled by driving somewhat more spacious cars over the years, but price does matter to me because I am on a fairly tight budget. Not everyone can afford $40k or $50k for a car like your "40 kWh Impala". (Nevermind the $85k Tesla S land yacht that wouldn't even fit in my garage.)
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

GRA

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Here in the East Bay I'm averaging just under 1 Spark sighting per day, and it's not kids driving them. Recently I've been seeing Sparks more frequently than I see Leafs or Volts (yesterday I saw, or perhaps more accurately recognized, only my second FFE). So there's definitely a market here, and the only question is whether the EV version will be taken to as eagerly in the bay area as the Leaf S, 500e and HFE (since the lease price reductions). Except in San Francisco with its atrocious parking and relatively large number of public charging spots, I have my doubts about the commercial viability of the Smart ED outside of car-sharing.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:50 am

New 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV At Select Dealerships Now

http://insideevs.com/new-2014-chevrolet ... ships-now/
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:35 pm

CR seems to like it.

First drive: The Chevrolet Spark EV shocks us:
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/first-drive ... 22460.html

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

scottf200
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:48 pm

cwerdna wrote:CR seems to like it.
First drive: The Chevrolet Spark EV shocks us:
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/first-drive ... 22460.html

FYI, the "Sport" mode is now a separate button (just below the shifter near traction control) and works independent of Drive/Low(max-regen). It is supposed to work differently than the Volt's "sport" mode which just remaps the pedal to be more aggressive earlier in the throw. Pushed to the floor the Volt's "sport" mode is the same as "normal". Not sure how the Spark's is different.
The shifter has two modes: "Drive" works like a conventional automatic transmission without aggressive regenerative braking. "Low" maximizes regenerative braking and slows the car down as soon as you lift off the accelerator.

100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used' self | RIP '16 P90DL Sig self |
'18 Tesla Model 3 LR kid1 |
'11 Volt kid2 | '16 Volt for wife | '12 Volt kid1's spouse

SanDust

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:00 pm

The high torque motor in the Spark is revolutionary. It gives great performance and much more efficiency at higher speeds. We'll see all the EV makers adopt the approach. If the Leaf has the technology in the Spark we'd be getting more range and the Leaf would be much more responsive.

On the Spark EV being better than the gas equivalents, I suspect the same will be true of the Fiat 500e. These smaller cars are made for EV drive trains.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”