Chevrolet Spark EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Update :

Chevrolet to Produce Spark EV All-Electric Vehicle
Mini-car joins growing portfolio of electrified vehicles

2011-10-12

DETROIT – Chevrolet today announced it will produce an all-electric version of the Chevrolet Spark mini-car – the Spark EV. It will be sold in limited quantities in select U.S. and global markets starting in 2013, including California.

"The Spark EV offers customers living in urban areas who have predictable driving patterns or short commutes an all-electric option," said Jim Federico, global vehicle chief engineer for electric vehicles at Chevrolet. "It complements Chevrolet's growing range of electrified vehicles, including the Volt extended-range EV and the 2013 Malibu Eco with eAssist technology."

Feedback from participants in Chevrolet's electric vehicle demonstration fleets in Shanghai (Sail EV), Korea (Cruze EV) and India (Beat EV) are being incorporated into the Spark EV.

"Our global demo fleets continue to provide insight into the needs of electric vehicle customers living in urban environments," said Federico. "The Spark EV is another step in Chevrolet's plan to provide customers with a variety of electrification solutions to address the lifestyle and transportation needs of people around the world."

A123 Systems will supply the advanced nanophosphate lithium-ion battery packs that will power the Spark EV. Details on specific markets, range, quantities and pricing will be announced later.

Earlier :

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111011/OEM05/111019965/1429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

General Motors Co. plans to introduce a pure electric vehicle in the U.S. market, The Detroit News reported.

The car will be a small, battery-powered vehicle designed for urban areas, a source familiar with the plans told the paper.

It's unclear when the EV will go on sale, or which GM brand will market the vehicle, The News said, adding an announcement is planned Wednesday.

Some speculation at http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/10/who-wants-to-bet-gm-isnt-about-to-introduce-a-spark-ev-to-the-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Green Car Reports is saying that it's going to be the Chevy Spark:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1067237_gms-first-new-battery-electric-car-2013-chevrolet-spark-ev-to-launch-in-u-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2011/06/gm-showcases-beat-ev-in-demo-program-in-new-delhi-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Powered by a 300-cell, 20 kWh Li-ion battery pack, the Beat EV has a range of up to 130 km the 270 kg battery can power the Beat for at least 130 km (81 miles) under normal driving conditions. The liquid-cooled battery can operate in temperatures ranging from approximately -20 °C to 45°C, with charge times of less than 8 hours.
The Beat EV uses a single speed drive unit and an electric motor producing approximately 45kW of power."

Herm said:
"Powered by a 300-cell, 20 kWh Li-ion battery pack, the Beat EV has a range of up to 130 km the 270 kg battery can power the Beat for at least 130 km (81 miles) under normal driving conditions. The liquid-cooled battery can operate in temperatures ranging from approximately -20 °C to 45°C, with charge times of less than 8 hours.
The Beat EV uses a single speed drive unit and an electric motor producing approximately 45kW of power."
Doesn't exactly sound like a Leaf beater... although I guess we have to wait to see the price.

I think this is GREAT news for pure EVs! Welcome to the party GM. Will it have L3 (SAE??) capability to promote QC infrastructure?

Britta Gross, the director of EV infrastructure for General Motors, gave us the heads up during the GM chat 10/7/2011. http://www.chevroletvoltage.com/ind...chat-with-britta-gross-and-jim-motavalli.html

2:51 Comment From Jen( Transsolarcorp.com)
Are you guys going to have an all electric vehicle in the future?

2:52 Britta Gross:
Jen. Yes, we just recently announce a production agreement with A123. We’ll have more details soon!

I think it may be a little early to heap any accolades on GM since the article indicates that they are planning just enough (2,000) to satisfy the California mandate... Does this sound familiar to anyone?

scottf200 said:
evnow, case in point.
And your point is ?

BTW, how come you didn't point to "more electric than car" - because it is so recent ?

Face it - GM earned very bad karma crushing EV1 and they will have to live with that. Same with all the anti-EV FUD they have used to promote Volt.

TomT said:
I think it may be a little early to heap any accolades on GM since the article indicates that they are planning just enough (2,000) to satisfy the California mandate... Does this sound familiar to anyone?

A zebra can't change it's stripes any more than GM's true nature can be hidden

They hate all things that are electric, and non polluting, no matter what lies are comming out of their corporate mouthpieces

TomT said:
We are going to have these EVs purely to satisfy CARB.
- Toyota RAV4EV, iQ EV
- Fiat 500 EV
- Honda FIT EV
- Chevy Beat EV
- BMW Active-E

So, the true non-CARB EVs will be
- Leaf
- Focus EV
- Tesla S
- i3
- Mitsu i

Wow - that is 11 models !

TomT said:

It could very well be a CARB play. The rumored specs sound alot like the Mitsu. If the Mitsu sells well (like it certainly could) GM will have a hard time justifying very low production on what could be an "inexpensive" EV. We will know more soon.

I think the Focus EV is still in the questionable camp...

evnow said:
TomT said:
We are going to have these EVs purely to satisfy CARB.
- Toyota RAV4EV, iQ EV
- Fiat 500 EV
- Honda FIT EV
- Chevy Beat EV
- BMW Active-E

So, the true non-CARB EVs will be
- Leaf
- Focus EV
- Tesla S
- i3
- Mitsu i

I think it will be a Hummer EV with a 40kwh pack and a 14 mile range. Just enough to charge up and drive emission free to the junkyard to be crushed.

GM has a lot of friends on this forum :lol:

Back