Official Audi A3 e-tron thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a nice conversion, not too much trunk space lost to the battery, unlike the Focus hack. 3.3kw charger from the picture below.

audi-a3-e-tron-first-details-and-photos-medium_10.jpg

3.3kW charger is notable. Guess it's sized for an ordinary 230V/16A euro circuit. Looks like a nice vehicle, some upscale utility competition for the Leaf.

Cool concept car. I can't wait to see the toned-down production version. A RS3 Sedan would be so much fun. Crazy wheels... GE called, they want their jet engine turbine fans back.

they said that it is the cheapest Audi ever offered to the American public comes with an impressive array of standard features. wow!

Funny how the “Gee Whiz” stuff falls off as soon as you start talking production instead of concept. A good looking car to be sure, but how do you settle packaging in that low platform without a hatch area at the rear headrest level. And is the 3.3kW charger the curse of all DC brushless drivetrains? It’s "No Sale" without minimum 6.6kW charger.

Rudolf Halbmeir is a composer, but his instruments are unconventional: http://vimeo.com/39818209" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2012/06/driving_audis_a3_e-tron_electr.html

- Audi's A3 e-tron will be released in 2014
- A3 e-tron that will be released in 2014 will not be a full electric car like the Nissan Leaf, but a plug-in hybrid like the Chevy Volt.
- A3 e-tron is powered by a electric motor with 134 horsepower and 199 lb-ft. of torque and a 26kw lithium-ion battery
- range of approximately 90 miles and a top speed of 90 mph
- the battery adds about 500 pounds to the overall weight of the A3 e-tron
- the A3 e-tron drives pretty much the same as the other A3, just a bit slower. Slamming the pedal to the floor yielded about the same response as a standard compact car, but it definitely was not quite as fun or powerful as the turbocharged A3 :x
- 0-60 mph in about 11 seconds :x (not sounding too Fun)
- the ability to adjust the amount of regenerative braking, which can be selected with the steering wheel mounted paddles

- A3 e-tron plug-in hybrid, which will be powered by a 1.4L four-cylinder engine with 211 horsepower, that will be mated to a 20 kW electric motor.
- plug-in hybrid A3 will have an electric range of approximately 31 miles
- priced at the higher end of the A3 lineup ... expect it to start in the high-$30k range

Looks like the A3 E-tron PHEV will go into production with a 30 mile AER and better acceleration than previously hinted at.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1083183_2015-audi-a3-e-tron-confirmed-at-new-york-auto-show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been driving little TDI's (PD's) for 30+ years.
They get Hybrid mileage, without the Batteries.
I think non-diesel hybrids are smoke and mirrors.
(good engineering, but stick a 1.6 Pumpe Düse engine in there, and see what your MPG does!)

I prefer my Leaf now, but we still have a couple for ICE cars.

I have a 2011 Audi S3 (A3) TDI which we LOVE.
It's fun to drive, get 46 MPG easily (I can get over 50) and it's REALLY quick.
It uses the same tires that my Leaf does now, which is always a nice bonus.

I would look at an electric version of this car.
But like just about ALL EV's, that <100 mile range thing is a problem.

I've liked the A3 a lot since the first time I test drove one. Tight handling, quick little devils, with solid, sporty interiors. I have no problems with gasoline hybrids, except that they are slow, soft and boring, like our 2007 Prius. I'm always looking for the PHEV that will replace our Prius, and this may be it, as long as the AER holds up to be 30 or so. I think I'd like this Audi better than a Volt.

I hope they don't have to make it too cramped and compromised to fit the battery pack.

KillaWhat said:
I've been driving little TDI's (PD's) for 30+ years.
They get Hybrid mileage, without the Batteries.
I think non-diesel hybrids are smoke and mirrors.
(good engineering, but stick a 1.6 Pumpe Düse engine in there, and see what your MPG does!)

I prefer my Leaf now, but we still have a couple for ICE cars.

I have a 2011 Audi S3 (A3) TDI which we LOVE.
It's fun to drive, get 46 MPG easily (I can get over 50) and it's REALLY quick.
It uses the same tires that my Leaf does now, which is always a nice bonus.

I would look at an electric version of this car.
But like just about ALL EV's, that <100 mile range thing is a problem.

Very nice. Did you fly to Ingolstadt to pick yours up?

I have an '06 A3 2.0T which I bought as Certified PreOwned in 2009, and I keep it around as my "range extender."

A 30 mile range will mean I can still drive to/from work everyday on pure electric. I just hope the new eTron will be as fun to drive as A3s of before.

A few more links and videos and another photo; speculation is that in UK at least it will price out at £32,700 (or ~ $50K USD); at ~31 miles on electric that would actually just about cover my R/T work commute of 29.6 miles (if again the real world aspect matches their testing which is not always the case). The expected 8.8 kWh battery on board would get ~ $4,500 Fed Tax Credit correct?

"As defined by the 2009 ACES Act, a PEV is a vehicle which draws propulsion energy from a traction battery with at least 4 kwh of capacity and uses an offboard source of energy to recharge such battery. The tax credit for new plug-in electric vehicles is worth $2,500 plus $417 for each kilowatt-hour of battery capacity over 4 kwh, and the portion of the credit determined by battery capacity cannot exceed $5,000. Therefore, the total amount of the credit allowed for a new PEV is $7,500."

Always like the lines on the gas/diesel version but it was a bit small; OK as a daily commuter and with this 'new' combo it could be a great long trip car for 2 + luggage + work commuter; at $45K + (taking the possible fed credit) it will still be pretty pricey and would take a long time in fuel savings to offset the EV component but another welcome entrant if indeed the stats make it fun to drive versus say a Lexus CT200 (which doesn't plug-in) or others that try to put a bit of sport into being a hybrid.

audia3etron2013_front.jpg

http://www.nextgreencar.com/review/6232/Audi-A3-Sportback-etron-review

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/audi-a3-sportback-e-tron-plug-hybrid-arrive-2014

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/audi/2013-audi-a3-sportback-e-tron-ar147840.html

First drive report of (almost) production e-tron:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/audi/a3/first-drives/audi-a3-e-tron-first-drive-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...The Audi A3 e-tron is a plug-in petrol hybrid version of the A3 Sportback. It’s powered by a 148bhp 1.4 litre TSI engine and a 99bhp electric motor sandwiched between the gearbox and power unit to drive the front wheels. The motor also doubles as the engine’s starter.

A six-speed DSG gearbox harnesses the power, its wide ratio spread enabling the electric motor to operate through a narrower, 0-2000rpm rev range that allows for a more efficient design. The adapted DSG transmission includes an additional clutch that decouples the motors to allow coasting, which is a more efficient use of kinetic energy than recuperation.

The e-tron’s 8.8kWh, 125reskg battery lives under the rear seat, while the repositioned fuel tank sits beneath a slightly raised boot floor. Despite the tank’s proximity to the A3’s back end this car can absorb a 50mph rear impact without the plastic tank rupturing. At the other end of this A3 e-tron, neatly hidden behind the four rings of its grille, is the power socket for the charging cable.

Despite its low emission, fuel-saving hardware the e-tron can be considered as both fuel-saver and lightly sporting performance car. It has the scope to achieve a spectacular 188.3mpg – one tester has even managed 235mpg – besides sprinting to 62mph in 7.6sec and topping 138mph. It will also travel at up to 80mph on electric power alone, although its 31-mile range will obviously be compromised by high EV speeds like these.

Those 31 miles are enough to allow most commuting trips to be completed without resort to the petrol engine; this practice encouraged by the automatic defaulting to EV mode on start-up. The petrol engine can instantly be engaged via the kickdown button however, or by using a centre console-mounted rocker switch to toggle to hybrid operation. Because kickdown can demand maximum effort from a cold engine, Audi has reworked this TFSI’s piston rings and liners for wear-protection, and included a sensor to measure oil quality...

What is it like?

As quiet as any other electric car on take-off, the e-tron’s easy silence provides relaxed, and swift urban progress. That said, your advance isn’t always as smooth as it should be because there’s sometimes a solid thump as drive takes up.

"You can be sure that Dr Hackenberg won’t allow that," Audi A3 programme manager Alex Pesch wrily says of his boss, this pre-production e-tron not quite the finished article. Nor do you quite enjoy the rangey, seamless power surge that a single-gear pure electric delivers either.

But, however, the familiar sensation of power being parcelled through a multi-speed transmission is a small price to pay for the undoubted efficiency advantage of having an electric motor geared through six forward speeds, as it is in the Volvo V60 diesel plug-in hybrid.

The general integration of petrol engine, transmission and electric motor is otherwise excellent. There are no jolts when the drivetrain is combining or switching between motors, and the 1.4 TFSI has a subtly pleasing rort about it when it’s worked hard. Not inappropriately either, because adding a battery pack, shifting the fuel tank to the rear and installing a particularly light engine means that this A3’s 55:45 front rear weight distribution improves on the diesel’s 60:40 apportioning, to the noticeable benefit of its handling.

The e-tron turns out to be the best-balanced, sweetest-handling A3 in the range, which makes for a pretty satisfying steer. It rides well too, although there’s still some damper calibration work to be carried out. Hopefully that won’t firm things up significantly...

Price £32,700 est; 0-62mph 7.6sec; Top speed 138mph; Economy 188.3mpg; CO2 35g/km; Kerb weight 1574kg; Engine 4cyls, 1395cc, turbocharged petrol, plus synchronous electric motor; Installation transverse, front; Power 1.4 TFSI 148bhp at 5000rpm, electric motor 99bhp, 201bhp combined; Torque 1.4 TFSI 184lb ft 1750-4000rpm, electric motor 243lb ft 0-2000rpm, 258lb ft combined; Gearbox 6-spd dual-clutch automatic

Back