GCC: Mercury Insurance names 10 most affordable EVs to insure

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/06/201900612-mercury.html

. . . The top-10 list for 2019 all-electric vehicles, beginning with the most affordable make and model to insure:

1. Fiat 500e

2. Kia Soul EV

3. Nissan Leaf

4. Volkswagen e-Golf

5. smart EQ fortwo pure coupe

6. Hyundai Kona Electric SEL

7. Ford Focus Electric

8. Hyundai IONIQ Electric

9. BMW i3

10. Chevrolet Bolt EV

I'm surprised the i3 appears on that top 10 list. The car's carbon fiber construction can't be cheap to repair.

jjeff said:
No Teslas on the list? I'm guessing this means Teslas are not affordable to insure??

Guess again.

I pay $42 a month for our Tesla. The uninsured motorist rider that covers all our cars is extra but not Tesla specific.
Liability cost is 21% less expensive for our Tesla than the LEAF. I do not carry comp or collision on the LEAF so no comparison available for those coverages.

Part of the problem may be Mercury.

We switched our auto insurance from USAA to Mercury a couple years ago as Mercury had the best auto insurance rates for us at the time. We got the Model 3 SR+ about 2.5 months ago, but Mercury premium was no bueno. My insurance agent noted Mercury charges above rates for Teslas and forces a high ($1000) deductible apparently because they feel they don't have enough information to price them.

I just changed our auto insurance polices back to USAA today. USAA is substantially less for us and offers much better coverage:

For our Model 3 SR+:

Zip Code 95677
6 month premium
No accidents

Mercury:
Premium: $629
Bodily Injury Liability: $100k/$300k
Property Damage Liability: $50k
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury Liability: $100k/$300k
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Liability: "maximum"
Comprehensive: $1,000
Collision: $1,000
Roadside Assistance: $500

USAA:
Premium: $513*
Bodily Injury Liability: $300k/$500k
Property Damage Liability: $100k
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury Liability: $300k/$500k
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Liability: $3,500 per accident then $500 deductible after
Comprehensive: $250
Collision: $500
Roadside Assistance: towing and labor

A week ago we returned our leased 2016 Leaf SV and picked up a new 2019 Leaf SV on lease, same coverage as our Model 3 SR+, and the Leaf premium is a bit more expensive at $550*.

*both 6 month premium prices reflect in part the combined policy with homeowners insurance and umbrella policy, but most of price difference between Mercury and USAA was changing carrier, excluding the multi-policy discount

Interesting that only 3 of the 10 2019 EVs listed in this thread are realistically available in Arizona (Leaf, Bolt, and i3). Quotes from another insurance company would likely change the ranking and include vehicles not listed here such as Tesla. Quotes for Arizona would show the five least expensive EVs to insure as BMW, Bolt, Jaguar, Leaf, and Tesla (listed in alphabetical order) since others are not available to purchase new.

Back