hyundai sonata plug in hybrid

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oilpan4

I finally taliked the wife into buying a lease turn in 2016 hyundai sonata plug in hybrid.
I provided an unnecessary $4,000 down payment because I want to see a it paid off in about a year and a half. She signed up for a 40 month payment plan.
I hate the idea of monthlycar payments.

First order of business will be to mod the evse for 120v and 240v operation, or sell it and buy another duosida evse.
That way it can access the oil pan 4 private charging network.

She likes the the leafs off the line torque but it kind of falls on its face above 60mph.
That hyundai has 10 to 20% more torque and nearly double the horsepower of my old leaf.
I told her if she doesn't like it, drive it for a year or 2, and when gas prices get back over $3 a gallon and everyone is losing their minds we will get top dollar for that plug in and some one will just about pay her to take something SUV sized.
Hopefully it grows on her like the leaf did for me and she gets into not having to buy gas.
I'm very much in to the not buying gas thing.

I have been looking around on the Internet to learn about these things.
Found pretty much all the technical specifications I was curious about before I bought the car except for one thing, something with a binary answer, just a simple yest or no, doesn't even require a quantity, something very near and dear to all leaf owners, something most of us wish we had:
Active thermal management.
Does the sonata have it?

The HEV not the PHEV, via ABG:
2020 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid revealed with solar roof, new transmission
This is the non-plug-in hybrid
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/22/2020-hyundai-sonata-revealed-solar-roof-transmission/

. . . One other visual distinction on the electrified Sonata is the available solar roof. This is a feature that has been implemented on other hybrids such as the Toyota Prius, but this is the first time a solar roof has been available on the Sonata Hybrid. Hyundai estimates that with six hours of charging in the sunlight, Sonata Hybrid owners should have just over 800 extra miles of electric driving per year. Or about two-plus extra miles of electric driving each day.

The Sonata Hybrid seems to have the same 151-horsepower 2.0-liter naturally aspirated inline-four and 38-kW electric motor as before. Combined, they produce a total of 193 horsepower. The powertrain gets an updated six-speed automatic transmission, though. Hyundai has implemented what it calls Active Shift Control. It seems to basically be rev-matching for a hybrid, as it will use the electric motor to match the rotational speed of both the powertrain and the transmission for faster, smoother shifts. Hyundai says shift times will drop from 500 milliseconds to 350.

Fuel-economy numbers for the U.S. haven't been announced, but we do have numbers for the South Korean model. Combined fuel economy is estimated at 47 mpg. The U.S. market 2019 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid tops out at 42 mpg combined. That's a solid improvement, but remember, the number for the 2020 model could be less than 47 mpg, since the U.S. fuel-economy test loop is different from the Korean one.

Pricing and availability haven't been announced yet, but the Sonata Hybrid should be available shortly after the regular Sonata launches this fall. It will also probably be priced around $25,000 like the current model.
I hope more and more solar roofs (and hoods/trunks) become available. Just being able to run the hotel loads, esp. the A/C in hot weather, should have a major impact on range, not to mention battery durability if they can run a TMS when parked.

Back