It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:56 am 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Posts: 1096
Location: Chicago, IL
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
Went through a quick search on the forum and didn't see a thread just for the 2012 Fiat 500 EV, although lot's of mentions of the ICE version just now coming out; latest from the CEO below, saw the protoype at the Chicago Auto Show, this says it will be a loss leader (no surprise) but will be interesting if it's $45K versus the $32K mentioned earlier, expect to loose $10K on each one sold :


http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110401/GREEN/110409992


If it ends up at $45K doubtful if people will be lining up ...

_________________
2012 Nissan LEAF SL
Cayenne Red
2013 smart electric drive - not here yet
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink


Last edited by redLEAF on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fiat 500 EV
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 823
Location: Foster City, CA
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0255
Quote:
"The economics of EVs simply don't work. On the 500 that (Chrysler) will begin selling in the U.S. next year, we will lose over $10,000 (per unit) despite the retail price being three times higher" than a version of minicar with an internal combustion engine, Marchionne said on the sidelines of Fiat S.p.A.'s general meeting on Wednesday.
Really? I hope Nissan and Tesla don't see this :roll:

_________________
Green Honda EV Plus 02/1998-12/2003 plate "ZERO CO2" rip, Aptera 2e #726 canceled
Blue Nissan Leaf SL loaded reserved 04/20/2010 ordered 08/31/2010 EVSE Blink #182
CARWINGS Nickname Theres233, should be Spies


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fiat 500 EV
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:18 pm
Posts: 1436
Location: Edmond, OK
I owned Fiat Uno and Cinquecento and won't buy any Fiat anymore.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fiat 500 EV
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:17 am 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Posts: 1096
Location: Chicago, IL
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
EdmondLeaf wrote:
I owned Fiat Uno and Cinquecento and won't buy any Fiat anymore.


This goes way back but I also owned a Fiat back in 1979 (picked up a '75 Fiat 'Sport' Spyder 1800 with only 17K miles in NH, drove it for 3 years) and it was actually a pretty good car most of the time -- had some typical italian quirks but the styling, power and comfort were better than a '74 MGB (last of the chrome bumpered -- lower ride height) than I owned several years later. Like all makes, each one goes through both good times and bad, with Fiat being paired up with Chrysler I'm not sure how the warranty/service will be but before MBZ/Daimler gave up on Chrysler it actually did produce a few great products that used the best of both. This first Fiat should at least be given a chance so with the EV version following we'll be able to see if the ICE version will hold its own. The 500 is a very small car (only 140 inches long -- for comparison a MINI coupe is about 6 and half inches longer!) so the perception of being a 'cheap' small car may work against it if the EV verision is really expensive.

_________________
2012 Nissan LEAF SL
Cayenne Red
2013 smart electric drive - not here yet
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fiat 500 EV
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Posts: 2827
Location: Shasta County, North California
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
I drove my 82 Fiat Spider 2000 yesterday. Currently my lowest miles (108 k) and best mileage (about 25 mpg, county or Freeway) vehicle since I disposed of my 30-34 mpg 2 litre 5 speed Dodge Stratus last winter AFTER NISSAN GAVE ME A JANUARY-FEBRUARY DELIVERY WINDOW.

FWIW, based on my own favorable experiences with 75-82 Fiats (owned 3), and 89-95 Chrysler vehicles (also 3), I think they both produced vehicles better than their crummy reputations (during those time periods) suggested.

I'm disappointed that Fiat seems to be taking the same approach as Ford with EV.s, simply doing a low-volume conversion of an existing ICE car. A year ago the 500 , and the Focus seemed to be the likely alternatives to the LEAF. Now, it looks like it's narrowed down to the LEAF or ICE, for my next car.

_________________
no condition is permanent


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fiat 500 EV
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:50 pm 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Posts: 1096
Location: Chicago, IL
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
edatoakrun wrote:

I'm disappointed that Fiat seems to be taking the same approach as Ford with EV.s, simply doing a low-volume conversion of an existing ICE car. A year ago the 500 , and the Focus seemed to be the likely alternatives to the LEAF. Now, it looks like it's narrowed down to the LEAF or ICE, for my next car.



Assume that you're not near one of these 'launch' cities for the Ford Focus EV? Atlanta, Austin, Houston, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, New York,
Orlando, Phoenix, Tucson, Portland, Oregon; Raleigh Durham, Richmond, Va., Seattle or Washington, D.C. ? As it stands today the Focus EV will be available in Chicago before the LEAF so that's probably what we'll end up with.

_________________
2012 Nissan LEAF SL
Cayenne Red
2013 smart electric drive - not here yet
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fiat 500 EV
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:27 pm
Posts: 54
redLEAF wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:

I'm disappointed that Fiat seems to be taking the same approach as Ford with EV.s, simply doing a low-volume conversion of an existing ICE car. A year ago the 500 , and the Focus seemed to be the likely alternatives to the LEAF. Now, it looks like it's narrowed down to the LEAF or ICE, for my next car.



Assume that you're not near one of these 'launch' cities for the Ford Focus EV? Atlanta, Austin, Houston, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, New York,
Orlando, Phoenix, Tucson, Portland, Oregon; Raleigh Durham, Richmond, Va., Seattle or Washington, D.C. ? As it stands today the Focus EV will be available in Chicago before the LEAF so that's probably what we'll end up with.


Redleaf, I was wondering the same thing. However, it doesn't sound like Ford is all that excited about delivering an EV. I just wonder if they will stay the course or have it end up being like the EV1.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fiat 500 EV
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:16 pm 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Posts: 8077
Location: Foothills of Granada Hills, CA
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
I had a 1969 Fiat 124 Sport Spyder and it was a great and fun car. I ran it 100,000 miles with no problems. I sold it in 88 when I bought my Vette.

_________________
Red SL-e with 47K miles/10 bars/211 Gids/49.97 AHr/76% SOH/56.62% Hx on 22Apr14. Ordered 9/1/10 (Fontana Nissan).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fiat 500 EV
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:32 pm 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Posts: 1096
Location: Chicago, IL
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
chijayhawker wrote:
redLEAF wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:

I'm disappointed that Fiat seems to be taking the same approach as Ford with EV.s, simply doing a low-volume conversion of an existing ICE car. A year ago the 500 , and the Focus seemed to be the likely alternatives to the LEAF. Now, it looks like it's narrowed down to the LEAF or ICE, for my next car.



Assume that you're not near one of these 'launch' cities for the Ford Focus EV? Atlanta, Austin, Houston, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, New York,
Orlando, Phoenix, Tucson, Portland, Oregon; Raleigh Durham, Richmond, Va., Seattle or Washington, D.C. ? As it stands today the Focus EV will be available in Chicago before the LEAF so that's probably what we'll end up with.


Redleaf, I was wondering the same thing. However, it doesn't sound like Ford is all that excited about delivering an EV. I just wonder if they will stay the course or have it end up being like the EV1.



chijayhawker, it's all speculation now although I wasn't pleased that Ford pulled the Focus EV from the Chicago Auto Show (apparently, it had another 'engagement' according to the Ford spokesman I talked to at the show); I can tell you that I signed up for the $50 Ford Test Drive and am waiting for them to at least get the 2012 Focus hatchback ICE in stock to drive -- should be similar enough (except for the loss of luggage space from the battery) to see if we like it. We should also hopefully see Fiat 500's around here fairly soon (looks like IL gets three -- Highland Park - John Fields; Schaumburg - IL Aaron Zeigler and FIAT of Orland Park - IL Michael Bettenhausen

_________________
2012 Nissan LEAF SL
Cayenne Red
2013 smart electric drive - not here yet
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fiat 500 EV
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 am 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 9987
Location: Seattle, WA
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
redLEAF wrote:
As it stands today the Focus EV will be available in Chicago before the LEAF so that's probably what we'll end up with.

If I were the product manager in Ford, I'd concentrate on releasing the car in cities Leaf hasn't released yet.

Ofcourse, it is not like any EV has not got delayed or priced out of reach ...

_________________
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to ?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Advertise on the forum | Upgrade your account


© My Nissan Leaf Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group