Rats May Be a Threat to BEV and PHEV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least they can't crawl up the tailpipe and make a nest in the muffler! Or the air cleaner assembly for that matter.

Not funny. If you've suffered rodent attacks to your ICEV, you've probably wondered how mouse-resistant The LEAF is.

Is the under hood compartment of the LEAF completely sealed-unlike any ICEV?

My Shop/garage is generally rodent-proof-though I've had to replace the door seals a few times after having them gnawed-through.

But I'd prefer to park the LEAF in my more convenient carport for most of the year, and the under-hood warmth of every ICEV has proven attractive to mice at this location.

Usually just a filth problem, but when one varmint decided to use the Fuel injection wiring of my F150 for nesting material, it was a real PITA.

SEATTLE -- Alaska Airlines had to delay a flight about to leave Seattle-Tacoma International Airport when a rat was seen scurrying in the cabin.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2011/02/11/1697783/eek-rat-on-plane-delays-flight.html#ixzz1Dxrebioj

Examples are everywhere.
Phoenix has a huge problem with "Roof Rats" who are into area citrus trees and fallen fruit all the time.
When a "Rat Pack" invades your area you simply have to seal off EVERY possible entrance to your home or in this case LEAF.
This means vent pipes, window sills, door ways, and anywhere they can squeeze into.

If they are a potential problem just ensure that your garage or LEAF storage compartment is protected sufficiently.
Imagine the cost of ensuring that every wire in this airplane was undamaged by this critter.

EEK.... :lol:

My parents live out in a canyon on 10 acres and a few years back a rat decided to make a nest in my Elantra (great car by the way) which was parked outside in the driveway. The little bugger chewed up all sorts of things and cost about $1200. Went through wires, soundproofing material, and decided to store the little rat poison pellets in the air conditioner (nice surprise to have that come out the vents at you when starting the car). All in less than a week. I don't leave my car parked there overnight unless it's in the garage now, I don't like to imagine the cost of similar repairs to the Prius or worse - the Leaf.

Strange that I've never parked a car in a garage and never had a problem, even considering the cold winters. Might have something to do with the fact that I drive my car almost every day?

On the other hand, there's an old van sitting next to my house that I started fixing up last year, after having it sit there untouched for 20 years straight! Found an abandoned nest inside one of the tires! Other than that, though, no animal related damage. :lol:

I can honestly say I've had bigger problems with mice setting up in my barbecue over the winter than in my vehicles.
=Smidge=

More ABG sensationalism. This applies to all vehicles with wire rodents like and the battery pack will not attract more because it is warm VS and ICE. Besides, the LEAF pack is fully sealed, in fact it is pressure tight and tested after installation with air and the heat will not be felt outside after a drive or in cold charging. Compare this to a hot block of steel in an ICE and an open engine compartment, just add a picnic table. ABG loves to make up tag lines and twist facts to get something to sound compelling so they can drive traffic when they are slow. Rarely do they research anything in depth and users give them most of the good stories they often cut and paste. More FUD toward EVs.

EVDRIVER said:
More ABG sensationalism. This applies to all vehicles with wire rodents like and the battery pack will not attract more because it is warm VS and ICE.
Agreed. Just thought it was interesting to hear the first report of this problem affecting a vehicle other than ICE. Some places in the Sierra you have to be careful because marmots like to chew through the hoses in the engine compartment. In Yosemite cars have been ripped apart by bears who saw/smelled food inside. Animals will always pose a risk to our rides.

Stoaty said:
EVDRIVER said:
More ABG sensationalism. This applies to all vehicles with wire rodents like and the battery pack will not attract more because it is warm VS and ICE.
Agreed. Just thought it was interesting to hear the first report of this problem affecting a vehicle other than ICE. Some places in the Sierra you have to be careful because marmots like to chew through the hoses in the engine compartment. In Yosemite cars have been ripped apart by bears who saw/smelled food inside. Animals will always pose a risk to our rides.

Yes, I wish ABG would get some informed writers besides the few that post 2X a year:) Many times its like a tabloid and I don't see SUVs that get 2 more MPG as big green news other than a feel good for the owners in denial. Too bad the bears don't eat those cars:)

EVDRIVER said:
Yep - rodents love ICE cars.

Funny story - mother-in-law tells me her 4-Runner is running sluggish. I check it out and find the airbox stuffed with food pellets and orange peels! Cleaned it out and it ran much better. :)

She has had multiple issues with rodent damage with multiple vehicles. No - the sound generation devices don't work.

edatoakrun said:
So, back to my question of this AM, Is the LEAF's under-hood compartment completely sealed from rodent incursions- unlike all ICE/hybrids?

Lots of tasty looking wiring in there...

NO, not at all. Pack 100% pressure tight.

Now with rodent "call signs" showing up in some LEAFs there is an entrance through the front grill. This area should have some additional screening since small rocks are getting to the radiator and denting some of the fins. I was hoping the new 'cold weather front pan' retrofit would address this opening with a tighter screen or angled louvers to defect the small rocks

I suspect another entrance would be possible through the front drive shafts or CV joint area. There is also the empty opening above the license plate. Any other openings noted?

Given the number of wires in the LEAF, it would be desirable to seal up the LEAF to make it mouse and rat resistant. I don't think the rodents care that the vehicle is not an ICE. And without the oil and gas it maybe even more attractive as a home.

DeaneG said:
At least they can't crawl up the tailpipe and make a nest in the muffler! Or the air cleaner assembly for that matter.

My sister just took her Toyota Camry in for an oil change. Mechanic found that a mouse had somehow crawled up into the airfilter, nested and had babies :eek: (she normally parks in her driveway outside.)

While it's true that ICEVs can have problems w/rats, there was this story:
A Rat Ate my Chevy Volt - http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2011/02/a-rat-ate-my-chevy-volt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back