IEVS: Honda Clarity PHEV Versus Nissan LEAF: Which Wins In Overall Value?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't say it is obvious. Of course, a lot depends upon the definition of 'the average consumer'.

I love our 2013 Leaf SL and our 2018 Clarity PHEV Touring. For my prior job with a much shorter commute, the Leaf was great, especially since we had an ICEV in the family for longer trips. In my current job's commute, I seriously considered the 2018 Leaf, but the range was just a little short of my needs, especially factoring in battery degradation. The Clarity is the better road car - both thanks to unlimited range and more comfortable ride and road feel. But I do miss the size of the Leaf when I'm looking at tight urban parking spots where every spot seems to be for compacts only. But given my commute, the better comfort and the range flexibility won out. But I also don't believe I resemble 'the average consumer'.

The Clarity has allowed me to replace an ICEV and eliminate 75% of my gas consumption. On weekends, with the L2 at home and solar panels, I can do all my errands etc. as pure solar powered EV. We now take that on our weekend runabouts instead of the Leaf because it is just as efficient and green and more luxurious and roomy. At 7,400 miles in my first 6 months, I'm extremely impressed with the car.

If my commute was 'average', then the 2018 Leaf would have won out, again especially since we still have an ICEV in the family for the road trips. Shoot, I went through a similar analysis when I got the 2013 Leaf over the Volt. If you can opt for a pure BEV and charge at home on solar, that is a very tempting selling point.

Having significant experience with both Leaf and Clarity PHEV, I'd say they are both excellent options but with different approaches that will appeal to different consumers. The 'average consumer' really doesn't exist in the car market. That is why when you look at the array of ICEVs, there are so many to choose from - there is none out there that meets everyone's ideals for what they want.

I think what is really important for the BEV/PHEV to really take off and win acceptance in the market is for there to be a variety of products that appeal to different market segments and needs. And we are finally starting to see these options materialize.

DarthPuppy said:
I think what is really important for the BEV/PHEV to really take off and win acceptance in the market is for there to be a variety of products that appeal to different market segments and needs. And we are finally starting to see these options materialize.
Indeed.

Back