Interesting Read: Has Tesla Scared Fiat Into Building Electric Cars?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armmynissanleaf

It looks like Fiat is finally going to build some electric cars after all. For those of you who have been watching the auto industry, it was clear that Fiat (and Chrysler) had been trailing all of the other major automakers in having any plan for electrification of their cars. There was no hint of any interest in building competitive EVs, and in fact their CEO Sergio Marchionne suggested that buyers skip buying their Fiat 500e, because they were losing $10,000 on each one sold.

How do you think the EV landscape will change in 10 years?

I'm not sure who will want to buy an EV from a company that hates EVs. Their best bet would be to try to corner the market in electric full-sized minivans.

armmynissanleaf said:
and in fact their CEO Sergio Marchionne suggested that buyers skip buying their Fiat 500e,

Sergio, soon to be retiring, changed his mind. Decided that higher end electrics were profitable, and that Fiat group should be making them. Happened fairly suddenly, at least based on public statements.

So, Chrysler/Fiat is planning to build a series of oversized, overweight, and overpriced EVs. Wouldn't it make more sense to start by increasing the capacity of the battery pack in the Fiat 500e? And then designing a small, longer range EV from the ground up? Guess not.

Dooglas said:
So, Chrysler/Fiat is planning to build a series of oversized, overweight, and overpriced EVs.

Let me finish that thought for you "So, Chrysler/Fiat is planning to build a series of oversized, overweight, overpriced EVs, and then selling them into the US market before pulling out of North America again". I love the idea of Fiat being here with product, but don't trust them in the slightest to stay.

Back