Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Re: Subaru Crosstrek PHEV

Thu May 16, 2019 11:27 am

Reduced cargo capacity and the lack of a flat surface with rear seats down is a non-starter for me.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:57 pm

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:05 pm

Does the prime use a CVT or a powersplit device? Does the Subaru use the same transmission as the Prime? And when did CR become more conservative regarding EVs than Automotive Weekly...?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:31 am

Note several people in the comment section complained of this and I was also taken back by the last sentence of the article:
"We’ll see whether it has the goods to compete with the Toyota RAV4 hybrid, which we're also testing. That SUV has a similar price, but it doesn’t need to be plugged in."
but otherwise, I think it's an OK, but not very informative article.
My main complaints of the Crosstrek PHEV are the limited range, 30 miles EV would have been much more useful IMO, I would have preferred better ICE MPG for trips, 35mpg is OK but great and I also don't like the measly 3.6?? KWh charger. I mean basically all public L2 EVSEs are 30a or 7KWh so why not take advantage of that. They state with a depleted battery the fastest L2 charging would take about 2.25h, at 1+h(with a 7KWh charger) one could fully charge the battery in the time it takes to do the weekly grocery shopping or such. I rarely do regular shopping for more than 2hrs, this would have cost Suburu very little to implement IMO and for a $35k+ car should really have been standard, but generally isn't in PHEVs :(
I'm also not too happy the PHEV is only available on the top top trim model but I guess Nissan also did this with the Leaf and did come out with the "S" 3 years later, hopefully Subaru will do something similar if the Corsstrek is still around.
Lastly, I'm not really sure what they meant by this:
" Once the all-electric miles are used up, the SUV acts like a regular hybrid, switching back and forth between gas and electric power as conditions warrant. The Crosstrek plug-in hybrid can glide along on battery assist up to around 20 mph."
So with a depleted battery you still have battery power, but only up to 20mph? I wonder if it has a reserve not available for straight EV use but can just be used to assist the ICE??
I'm not even going to get into the fact that Subaru PHEV is only available in a limited number of states so for me it would be a moot point unless Subaru changes their mind :x
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

LeftieBiker

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:33 am

Agree on all of the above. The non-PHEV Prius is pretty much the same: it will run on the motors only at speeds up to maybe 50MPH, but only briefly, under very low loads, not as an EV.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:41 pm

I have no problem with CR's take, as anyone considering a PHEV may also be interested in an HEV, if that fits better (it would for me given my use case as far as GHGs and TCO, even though I'd prefer a PHEV). And I've previously noted that the Crosstrek, whether ICE, HEV or PHEV, has never struck me as a particularly noteworthy vehicle, and the PHEV is pretty much a minimum change first-effort, much like the C-Max Energi. In short, they can and should do much better on a second go-around, but it will be the BEV that they're doing with Toyota that should really be a clean sheet approach and allow them to dispense with many of the compromises made on the Crosstrek PHEV. We'll see whether that occurs.

As to CVTs, I hate them with a passion, and if I've got to have a slushbox at least give it some gears.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:36 pm

Many CVTs now simulate shifts.

Titanium48
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2019

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:31 pm

GRA wrote:As to CVTs, I hate them with a passion, and if I've got to have a slushbox at least give it some gears.

I have the opposite opinion. I always hated automatic transmissions until I drove a CVT. If I'm not directly controlling what the transmission does, I much prefer smooth, continuous adjustments to clunky gear shifts. The availability of maximum power at any speed over 50 km/h instead of having flat spots when one gear is too short and the next is too tall is nice too.

Of course, an electric motor that gets rid of the need clutches or viscous couplings and multiple ratios altogether is a big improvement over any slow to react ICE transmission. I'd love to see Subaru one-up Mitsubishi with a PHEV Outback or Ascent that retains the full capabilities of the ICE version, including the trailer tow rating, and combines that with the instant response and regenerative braking capabilities of an EV.

GRA

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:29 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Many CVTs now simulate shifts.

Yes, and the best are approaching adequate, but if they need to simulate shifts why not just do them? It's the over-revving and droning of CVTs that get to me, but then I drive a stick, so having the engine under my more or less direct control is what I'm used to (and want, which is why I'm a fan of regen on paddles).
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:11 pm

if they need to simulate shifts why not just do them?

They do it only to please people like you. There is no practical reason to do it.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”