Wanna jump in my BMW and come back to my pad? BMW 530e PHEV to get wireless charging option

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via ABG: https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/26/bmw-530e-wireless-charging-pad/

. . . The BMW Wireless Charging device will be available in early 2018 — though not, apparently, in the U.S.

Wireless charging is hardly a new concept, though BMW appears to be one of the first automakers to offer a factory charging pad as an option with a new model. The system involves a base pad containing a primary coil that plugs into a 220-volt outlet and a secondary coil in the vehicle's undercarriage. An alternating magnetic field travels between the two coils, charging the car at a rate of 3.2 kilowatts, nearly as fast as being plugged in. Sensors in the car also help direct you to the proper position above the pad.

BMW plans to launch the system early next year in other countries. The Verge eports that the technology is still being tested and evaluated in the U.S. and Canada, where it has not yet received UL approval, and will launch later on. There's also no word on pricing.

BMW kills the ‘hybrid tax’ with the 530e
https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/22/bmw-530e-review/ - It asserts the 530e PHEV is the same price as the non-plugin, non-hybrid 530i.

Via GCC:
BMW offering 3.2 kW wireless charging option for 530e PHEV; production starts in July
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/05/20180529-bmwwpt.html

. . . The system has a charging power of 3.2 kW, enabling the high-voltage batteries on board the BMW 530e iPerformance to be fully charged in around three-and-a-half hours. The efficiency rate is around 85%.

The product offer starts with Germany, subsequently followed by the UK, the US, Japan and China. . . .

BMW Wireless Charging also helps the driver to maneuver into the correct parking position. Communication between the charging station and vehicle is established via WiFi. An overhead view of the car and its surroundings then appears in the Control Display with colored lines that help guide the driver while parking. A graphic icon shows when the correct parking position for inductive charging has been reached. This can deviate from the optimum position by up to seven centimeters longitudinally and up to 14 centimeters laterally.

The GroundPad can also be installed outdoors, where it may be used regardless of the weather conditions. All components that conduct electricity are protected from rain and snow, and driving over the GroundPad will not damage it in any way. During charging, ambient electromagnetic radiation is limited to the vehicle undercarriage. The GroundPad is permanently monitored and will be switched off if any foreign matters are detected. The BMW Group also offers an installation service for BMW Wireless Charging, on request.

Back