EV motorhomes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similar to Volkswagen’s plans for a new electric minibus, the Dethleffs e.home Type C motorhome combines a zero-emissions powertrain with tons of smart technologies inside. And it’s all powered by the head-to-toe solar panels affixed to the camper’s exterior.

Terrible writing, as usual. Now people will think they don't have to plug it in - ever.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
First one I've seen in this size. Will be great for retirement.

https://www.curbed.com/2017/9/1/16241030/electric-rv-motorhome-dethleffs-camper
That should cause campgrounds to increase their rates on the 50A sites!

LeftieBiker said:
Similar to Volkswagen’s plans for a new electric minibus, the Dethleffs e.home Type C motorhome combines a zero-emissions powertrain with tons of smart technologies inside. And it’s all powered by the head-to-toe solar panels affixed to the camper’s exterior.

Terrible writing, as usual. Now people will think they don't have to plug it in - ever.

It mentions the pack is 228 Ah but doesn't mention the voltage, and that the original chassis gets 174 miles, so if the voltage is similar to othe EVs, around 380 (just guessing) that's about maybe 80 kWh usable and it gets about 2 m/kWh or less? So, if the panels make 3 kW, then a couple of sunny days in a campground is enough to move you on to the next one? Maybe you don't need to plug in.

The base chasis appears to built by IVECO and that chasis can have one, two or three 30 Kwh batteries.

http://www.elintamotors.com/datasheets/Daily_EV.pdf

http://www.whatvan.co.uk/analysis-and-comment/2016/iveco-presents-electric-van-vision

http://newatlas.com/dethleffs-electric-motorhome-concept/51096/

as far as a making it a good or bad idea to clad a normally white RV with black solar panels.....

A few on top with a nice air gap sure, but the first think I do with an RV at a campground is find a tree to park it under.

Considering the whole point of a motorhome is to get away with it all, I'm not quite sure how useful an all-electric one can be, unless you want to limit your excursions to a fairly close area from home. There are many sections of this country where even Tesla's network is sparse if non-existent, and often those are areas where people tend to want to camp.

What would have been better is a PHEV motorhome, allowing you to drive on electric in traffic (where an ICE has the worst efficiency) and have a liquid fuel for long distance travel and quick refueling. When you get to your campsite, the motorhome's batteries (hopefully recharged enroute) can then be used to provide campsite power, limiting if not eliminating the use of a noisy generator.

Something like an Outlander PHEV, or even a Volt, towing an Airstream (or more traditional trailer) with its own solar PV system could come close to the above. The size of the trailer would be limited by the tow vehicle, of course. A Bolt could be used with a smaller trailer for a full EV rig.

Tesla semi cab and travel trailer. :mrgreen: Probably can go a long ways because a travel trailer is a lot less weight than a loaded semi trailer. Cab seating arrangement might need a slight shuffle.

Evoforce said:
Tesla semi cab and travel trailer. :mrgreen: Probably can go a long ways because a travel trailer is a lot less weight than a loaded semi trailer. Cab seating arrangement might need a slight shuffle.

A full size semi trailer with the front half made into luxury living space and the back half set up with suitable loading ramps for motorcycle and LEAF would be perfect. :mrgreen:

GerryAZ said:
Evoforce said:

A full size semi trailer with the front half made into luxury living space and the back half set up with suitable loading ramps for motorcycle and LEAF would be perfect. :mrgreen:

That too! I'm in! Er, um, now where do we come up with the money?

Evoforce said:
Er, um, now where do we come up with the money?
Short TSLA! Buy LEAFs and stockpile them, and sell them in a few years as "classic EVs". Bonus: in just 18 more years, 2011s will be considered antiques! Buy and hold TSLA!

LeftieBiker said:
Something like an Outlander PHEV, or even a Volt, towing an Airstream (or more traditional trailer) with its own solar PV system could come close to the above. The size of the trailer would be limited by the tow vehicle, of course. A Bolt could be used with a smaller trailer for a full EV rig.
Does the Bolt have an official tow rating? Still rumors on 60 kWh Leaf getting a tow rating?

Workhorse Trucks appear to have a promising solution. They build serial hybrid vans that have been purchased by UPS and FedEx. These are used for last mile delivery. They use a 60 KWH Panasonic battery and the 20 kw range extender from the i3. The range extender is too small for sustained driving at highway speeds but OK for a delivery truck. There's a news article out today that claims the smaller NGen van gets 40 MPGe in its 200 cubic foot configuration and 20 MPGe in its 450 cubic foot configuration.

I believe the vans share the same drive system as the Workhorse W-15 truck. If so, transferring some of the W-15 components into the van could make a very interesting base for a motorhome. The W-15 has dual 230 HP motors driving the front and rear axles. It is AWD with torque vectoring. The W-15 uses the larger BMW 1.5 liter turbo three cylinder range extender that will allow sustained operation at highway speeds at max load. The W-15 is able to offload up to 7.2 kws of power from its battery/range extender to 240 and 120 VAC outlets.

The Workhorse vans are currently being sold, the W-15 is due out to fleet users in 2018 and to private buyers in late 2019. Workhorse also plans heavier duty W-25 and W-35 pickups. Curiously, before being bought by AMP Workhorse used to build motorhomes, so it is possible there might be a Workhorse electric motor home in the future.

BTW, Workhorse is one of the five finalists for the USPS Next Generation Delivery Van project to replace their 180,000 mail deliver trucks which are falling apart and only average 9.6 mpg. The W-15 is claimed to be an outgrowth from this project. If they win, mailcarriers will have a truck that can go 0-60 in only five and half seconds and be equipped with air conditioning. I suspect the latter will prove to be more popular.

Back