Tesla Cybertruck

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegGuheert

Since Elon Musk has officially announced the intention to build a pickup truck in Tesla's new master plan, I guess a thread on this future vehicle is warranted:
Elong Musk said:
With the Model 3, a future compact SUV and a new kind of pickup truck, we plan to address most of the consumer market.
Bolding mine.

The pickup truck market is one that has been ignored by BEV manufacturers so far. But there certainly is a high-end in the pickup truck market where Tesla can establish a beachhead for further growth and development.

I suppose Ford will block Tesla from using the name "Model T" just like they blocked them from using the name "Model E."

Not much is known about the development of a Tesla pickup truck, but there is a lot of speculation at this time. For starters, here is a decent landing page for the Tesla pickup at Electrek.

LeftieBiker said:
There has been a (aftermarket) plug-in hybrid version of GM's Sierra (IIRC) available for years, and it isn't exactly a big hit.
Because it costs twice as much and only results in a 2 mpg improvement. You're still burning a lot of gas. It's not worth it.

A $60,000 all-electric pickup with supercharging will sell like crazy.

garsh said:
LeftieBiker said:
There has been a (aftermarket) plug-in hybrid version of GM's Sierra (IIRC) available for years, and it isn't exactly a big hit.
Because it costs twice as much and only results in a 2 mpg improvement. You're still burning a lot of gas. It's not worth it.

A $60,000 all-electric pickup with supercharging will sell like crazy.
+1
To compare a BEV pickup/cargo van to that joke Sierra is well, a joke. I also wouldn't compare it to the misguided BEV Ford Transit Connect, extremely limited production, quite expensive and very limited range, nothing like something Tesla would make(well except for possibly the price but time will tell). It's one thing I don't understand about BEVs here, Americans don't want cars, a far less number of cars are sold in N. America vs trucks/SUVs or vans. If mfgs. want BEVs to take off in N. America offer them in vehicles that we actually want, not small cars which may sell well in Asia or other countries but not so much here. Heck even in Europe where gas is $5+/gallon the Mitsubishi Outlander with it's smallish battery is the number 1 selling PHEV, even with it's shortfalls.
In the US other than the larger Tesla mfgs. seem intent on pushing the distance thing above all other things, look at the design of the then new Prius :roll: sacrificing space and usability over everything else, as one reporter said, something to the effect of trying to get every drop of power out of a gallon of gas at the expense of almost everything else. The majority of people don't care! they just want a vehicle that meets their perceived needs and is comfortable for their ever increasing size, and in that respect I predict if Tesla offered such a vehicle it would be a hit(unless the price was near the Model X, maybe between the new model 3 and model S).

I do not like the Cybertruck. Maybe it will sell but I don't think this is adding to Tesla's value.

dims

If the bed won't carry 4'x8' plywood, stacked flat, it will fail. There are two other E-trucks that look like better bets to me. The Rivian and the one that looks like a minimalist Jeep.

I could get used to the front half. But the back doesn't make sense. For work trucks you might want to get to your stuff from the sides.

It is like the designer only had a straight ruler.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
New cybertruck stats look crazy.
At least we can do away with the 300k tow rating.

The truck looks utterly hideous. Certainly the ugliest vehicle to come out in a long time. It's Aztek bad, maybe worse. It's amazing they styled it this way. Are we really going to see something like that on the road? Strange.

I was going to compare it to the Aztek as well.

I'm pretty disappointed. This truck had a real chance of penetrating the fleet vehicle market, which is perfect for EVs. They don't need a lot of range, they get tax credits/savings for buying EVs, and they need FAR less maintenance than the F-150 fleet vehicles. It's a huge win for everyone. I don't see any major companies buying this vehicle though. It's just too ugly. I'm sure they'll buy a few for promotional purposes, but this is basically a novelty vehicle as currently designed.

Maybe I'm wrong though. 2-3 years is a long time.

Is it any stranger looking than a Hummer? That vehicle sold quite well in spite of a ridiculous price tag and no real redeeming qualities. This otoh appears to have some real plusses just wrapped up in a very unconventional looking design.

One thing for sure, like the Hummer, this will stand out in a crowd.

I never wanted a truck before, I did reserve the Cyber Truck, though. Wife wants one, and I wouldn't mind it. I love the futuristic styling. It doesn't have to sell like crazy, but I think demand will be greater than supply for some time.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Is it any stranger looking than a Hummer?
Yes. At least the Hummer looked like a rugged off road monster. This looks just weirder than weird.

I think the reveal last night helped get Rivian a bunch of deposits. For the R1T, you only need to get over the silly headlights.

I really disliked the truck when it rolled out during the unveil event. I was just too odd. But then this morning when looking at videos and pictures of the ride along events last night, it grew on me. The inside is much like the Model 3 and it seems quite roomy and functional, and the additional images of the bed and some options make it more functional than they showed at the event. I think it is possible that this could sell well. The biggest thing it has going for it is the price versus the features. It is a good deal for a truck if you can get past the look of it...

The stock market seems to have taken the view that this was a flop. It certainly will keep Tesla in the news cycle as Ford, GM, Dodge, Rivian, Bollenger and Workhorse roll out their trucks.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
...The truck looks utterly hideous. Certainly the ugliest vehicle to come out in a long time. It's Aztek bad, maybe worse. It's amazing they styled it this way. Are we really going to see something like that on the road? Strange. ...

The truck market has been trending to Mad Max aesthetic for some time now. I'd say Tesla has leap-frogged the competition. :lol:

LeftieBiker said:
If the bed won't carry 4'x8' plywood, stacked flat, it will fail. ...

Judging from the photos, it looks like that was a prime design driver. There are no wheel arches intruding into the bed space -- something that always pisses me off about pickups.

palmermd said:
I really disliked the truck when it rolled out during the unveil event. I was just too odd. But then this morning when looking at videos and pictures of the ride along events last night, it grew on me. The inside is much like the Model 3 and it seems quite roomy and functional, and the additional images of the bed and some options make it more functional than they showed at the event. I think it is possible that this could sell well. The biggest thing it has going for it is the price versus the features. It is a good deal for a truck if you can get past the look of it...

The stock market seems to have taken the view that this was a flop. It certainly will keep Tesla in the news cycle as Ford, GM, Dodge, Rivian, Bollenger and Workhorse roll out their trucks.

Maybe I just need to see more pictures and videos of it. I "want" to like it. I just think it's aesthetics might keep it from being a huge success.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Is it any stranger looking than a Hummer? That vehicle sold quite well in spite of a ridiculous price tag and no real redeeming qualities. This otoh appears to have some real plusses just wrapped up in a very unconventional looking design.

One thing for sure, like the Hummer, this will stand out in a crowd.

Did the hummer compete with the F150? No, it was a toy for the wealthy. A novelty item. Just saying.

Back