CMU team details impact of regional and drive-cycle variations on degradation of a PHEV battery pack

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via GCC: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/11/20161120-cmu.html

A team at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) led by Dr. Jeremy Michalek has investigated the implications of regional and drive cycle variations on the degradation of a plug-in hybrid electric (PHEV) battery. Modeling a PHEV with an air-cooled battery pack comprising cylindrical LiFePO4/graphite cells, they simulated the effect of thermal management, driving conditions, regional climate, and vehicle system design on battery life.

In their paper, published in the Journal of Power Sources, they reported that in the absence of thermal management, aggressive driving can cut battery life by two-thirds; a blended gas/electric-operation control strategy can quadruple battery life relative to an all-electric control strategy; larger battery packs can extend life by an order of magnitude relative to small packs used for all-electric operation; and batteries last 73–94% longer in mild-weather San Francisco than in hot Phoenix.

Air cooling can increase battery life by a factor of 1.5–6, depending on regional climate and driving patterns, they found. End of life criteria has a substantial effect on battery life estimates. . . .
Includes graphs. I don't know of any PHEV available in the U.S. that has LiFePO4 cells, with or without air cooling, and LiFEPO4 is more heat resistant than many of the other chemistries commonly used, but it's still su8eful info. The original article is behind a paywall, with the link at the end of the GCC article.

Back