California bought more electric cars than rest of U.S. combined in June

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via GCR: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1105220_california-bought-more-electric-cars-than-rest-of-u-s-combined-in-june

. . . Of the 13,772 cars with plugs sold last month, 7,161 went to buyers in California. That's exactly 52 percent, or more than the entire rest of the U.S. combined. Of the 467,000 electric cars sold since December 2010, Californians accounted for 216,000 of them—or 46 percent. . . .

Buyer preferences for SUVs and crossover utility vehicles, which are a minority of the high-volume plug-in vehicles available, have combined with cheap gasoline to keep sales lower than many advocates expected after fast growth in 2012 and 2013. It's notable that in the first six months of this year, BMW sold almost as many of its X5 xDrive 40e plug-in hybrid SUV—2,577—as it did of its pioneering i3 battery-electric car (2,880).

That's despite the plug-in hybrid X5 having an electric range of just 14 miles against the i3's 81 miles (soon to rise to 114 with a new battery pack for 2017). Plug-in hybrid SUVs are also offered by Mercedes-Benz and Volvo, with the latter's XC90 T8 version doing well too. . . .
We're still waiting for that Voltec-powered Captiva/Equinox-sized CUV, or the now very long-in-the-tooth Outlander.

Still waiting as well, with VW still struggling with diesel gate perhaps we'll see their Cross Blue variations a bit sooner - the RAV4 EV might have been a contender but short lived and a bit small, I think we'll see something soon enough but slow coming to market

Back