New 2018 BMW 3 Series BEV, carbon-fibre construction, ~90 kWh, ~2020?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

Watch those ~400 k Tesla model three advance orders evaporate, If BMW can deliver this at ~the same price:

New 2018 BMW 3 Series to feature all-electric version to rival Tesla

...The next 3 Series, previewed in our exclusive images, will make use of carbon-fibre construction technology and a new range of three, four and six-cylinder engines to trump the likes of the A4 and XE on CO2 emissions. But the manufacturer is also planning to take on the forthcoming Tesla Model 3 by offering not only a plug-in hybrid version of the car, but also a fully electric edition.

the next-generation 3 Series, codenamed G20, gets a switch of chassis technology as the car leaves its existing platform and moves to an all-new architecture called CLAR, for Cluster Architecture. CLAR brought in carbon-fibre construction techniques to the 7 Series when it was introduced on that car earlier this year, and elements will be retained on the limousine’s smaller brother...

The CLAR platform is claimed to have been engineered with electrification in mind, and BMW’s engineers are said to be working on the installation of a 90kWh battery pack, potentially giving the 3 Series EV – which is likely to carry the badge eDrive Sport – a range of around 300 miles...

The eDrive may not arrive until 2020...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/3-series/94014/new-2018-bmw-3-series-to-feature-all-electric-version-to-rival-tesla

Hardly enough to have Tesla quaking in their boots. With a possible arrival date of 2020, no price, and a construction technique that is very expensive now, as I understand it, I'm guessing it will cost $50k. It will probably outperform the less expensive Tesla 3.

LeftieBiker said:
...I'm guessing it will cost $50k. It will probably outperform the less expensive Tesla 3.
I think the base price for the BEV version might well be even higher.

But I think the comparatively-equipped Tesla three will have to be much cheaper than the more advanced and better-performing BMW 3, to sell at anywhere near the numbers that TSLA has claimed it will be trying to produce.

And, since BMW is extremely profitable and sells more cars each month than Tesla has in its existence (having lost a huge amount of money in the process) BMW has the ability to price the series 3 BEV pretty much wherever it wants to.

I can't think of a faster path to bankruptcy for a tiny high-cost auto company like TSLA, than by trying to compete on price, with far larger and financially secure auto manufactures, like BMW.

Seems like BMW is a bit worried about being left behind by Tesla and is going to make "conversions" of a lot of their popular ICE cars. I think this is a smart move. I'm looking forward to something like the ActiveE which I thought was a great EV and then they terminated the test and build two weird mobiles with an "i".

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/11/bmw-said-to-accelerate-ev-plans-with-3-series-x4-and-mini/

Back