Official Golf GTE thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

I know it's not sold in the U.S. (yet), but i figure the demand's there and VW has to do something to make people forget Dieselgate, so I won't be surprised if they do bring it here in teh not too distant future. Besides, it's a hot seller in Europe, overtaking BEVs most places it's offered. Now, give me an AWD GTE Sportwagen.

Anyway, to start the thread, via IEVS from a couple of years ago:
Volkswagen Golf GTE Featured In Fully Charged – Video
http://insideevs.com/vw-golf-gte-featured-in-fully-charged-video/

A current link:
Zipcar Adds 50 Volkswagen Golf GTE In London From £7 Per Hour
http://insideevs.com/zipcar-adds-50-volkswagen-golf-gte-london-7-per-hour/

VW says the GTE can travel for a full 31 miles on electricity only, sparing inner cities the toxic fumes of its gasoline engine (actually, as a Euro 6–compliant engine, it is ultraclean), and in the combined European cycle, it is rated at a mind-boggling 157 mpg.

I assume that since this is the European cycle, the US EV range is more like the PIP's 22 miles. Shame.

LeftieBiker said:
VW says the GTE can travel for a full 31 miles on electricity only, sparing inner cities the toxic fumes of its gasoline engine (actually, as a Euro 6–compliant engine, it is ultraclean), and in the combined European cycle, it is rated at a mind-boggling 157 mpg.

I assume that since this is the European cycle, the US EV range is more like the PIP's 22 miles. Shame.
I think that 20 miles EPA AER (to a maximum of 30 miles AER depending on the car's efficiency) is the PHEV sweet spot at the moment, as it covers the routine daily driving needs of 50% of U.S. drivers (and virtually all surface street driving for everyone), while keeping the price, weight and space incursion of the battery down. it also doesn't require owners to have or install a 240V circuit to fully charge the battery overnight (making the car more suitable for renters), or buy a higher power EVSE than the one that comes with the car.

There's obviously a ready market in this country for PHEVs of that range, as the Ford Energis outsold the Volt last month (and are usually in the same sales ballpark) despite their limited cargo space. The next generation of EVs are being designed as multi-powerplant platforms instad of just converting an ICE model like the Energis, limiting the battery incursions. In Europe, where the routine daily driving range is less, 20 miles AER covers the routine needs of an even larger % of the population.

Mass adoption depends on the lowest possible price and the least hassle, and the easiest way to do that is by having the smallest battery that can do the job, and no need for permits or electricians. For those who want/need more AER there will be other PHEVs/BEVs, or else larger battery options in the same car. As batteries improve and get cheaper, either the price can drop or the base AER can grow. Both options are needed.

Back