Ford Model E production confirmed, for sale in 2019?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

The three-in-one design suggests to me the BEV may not be much to get excited about...

Fields confirms Ford planning EV to compete with Chevy Bolt, Tesla Model 3

Vehicle likely to be called 'Model E,' and built in new Mexico plant

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is developing an electric vehicle that would be competitive with the Chevrolet Bolt and Tesla Model 3, CEO Mark Fields said today...

Fields’ comments, while lacking details, are the first time a top executive with the company has acknowledged specific plans to directly challenge Tesla Motors and the Bolt.

Fields didn’t say how soon such a vehicle could go on sale. Ford is expected to call it the “Model E” and assemble it starting in 2019 at a new plant in Mexico that the company announced earlier this month.

The Model E would likely be offered as a traditional hybrid, a plug-in hybrid and a pure electric vehicle, according to research firm AutoForecast Solutions. Ford has a pending trademark application on the “Model E” name...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20160428/OEM05/160429821/fields-confirms-ford-planning-ev-to-compete-with-chevy-bolt-tesla

But Kevin Layden, the director of Ford’s electrification programs and engineering, said the Focus is enough to satisfy.

That explains why 110 of them flew off the lots last month. In case there was any question how out of touch they still are.

Job 1 needs to be replacing Mr Layden.

Why replace Layden? They just invested 4.5 billion on development. He came on board after the roadmap for current-generation Magna-based FFE and Energi were already laid out and just starting production, so I don't think we can fault him for the present situation. When these people start working on projects, we don't see their work for another 5 years. Let's wait and see what comes out in the next few years- that will be the fruit of his labor.

I for one think Ford has a very smart strategy in place, with the ultimate goal of electrifying most of their fleet to insure it against the high gas prices that we all know are coming and that we all know will hurt the big 3 with their big truck sales.

I don't see any evidence that gas prices will be a lot higher in the next couple of years and "gas savings" has generally been a weak play for BEVs. As for Layden, his words aren't encouraging. Sounds like Ford is spending $4.5B following the Hyundai Ioniq strategy; ICE-H, PHEV, BEV.
It seems they're just playing CAFE defense.

If Ford were serious, they'd be working on battery supply and compelling BEVs that compete with their gas guzzler SUVs and that cash cow, the F150. But that strategy of killing off your best product with a better product before the competition does (indelicately referred to as "knifing the baby") isn't something automakers do. More common in Silicon Valley.

Back