Did you reserve a Tesla Model 3 ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you book a Model 3 ?

• Leaf owner - Booked in Store on 31st

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • Leaf owner - Booked online on 31st

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Leaf owner - Booked in Store later

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Leaf owner - Booked online later

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Non-Leaf owner - Booked in Store on 31st

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Non-Leaf owner - Booked online on 31st

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Non-Leaf owner - Booked in Store later

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non-Leaf owner - Booked online later

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

evnow

As you may have read - Tesla set a record with nearly 200,000 reservations since yesterday morning. I'd expected much less than that.

I went to my nearest Tesla store around 9:45 AM, expecting to see some 50 or so people. I could see the line extending all the way to the end of the mall. When I walked to the end - I figured it continued one level down - all the way till near the door to the garage. Probably over 600 people. I waited for 3 1/2 hours to book the car finally. Looked like most of the people were new to EVs in general. Didn't meet any S or Leaf owners.

So, did you book a Model 3 ? What is your story ?

I went into my local store at 7 am expecting to see maybe 15-20 people, and found myself to be #88 in line. Got into the store at 10:20 and was out in 5 minutes. Later in the day the store staff said they estimated the total number of reservations at 800.

I should add, my nearest store says they had the longest line at over 1,000. Probably same in a couple of other stores.

Based on Elons twitter post, they already have 232k orders.

btw.: I am getting SQL errors when trying to post tweets here.

I visited the Woodland hills store about 8:30 Thursday and was around number 50 in line. The store opened at 10:00 am and I was in and gone by 10:30... I booked one for me and two more for two buddies of mine (in their names, of course)...

We hadn't planned on reserving a Model 3, since our plan has been to buy a used Model S, but we ended up placing a reservation not long after the "reveal" event on March 31. We were impressed by the looks of the car (figured they'd come up with something good, though), the apparent roominess of the passenger cabin, and the inclusion of the all-glass roof and Supercharging capability at the base price. My wife is particularly happy with Tesla's emphasis on safety, and she can see the value of Autopilot functionality for long drives.

While we still hope to buy a used 'S' much sooner than the '3' will be available, the bottom line is that I'd like to keep our options open. In time, I expect we'll be driving at least one Tesla vehicle, or better yet, two Teslas which would enable us to become ICE-free. In any case, we'll likely keep our 2011 LEAF as a "beater" (relatively speaking) for driving locally, in our mountain area, where and when the conditions are less ideal for "nice, pretty" cars.

Also, after almost 22 hours (within the promised 24 hours) we finally received our reservation confirmation email, and the reservation number can be viewed through the MyTesla account that I set up earlier today with the same email address. The reservation number itself appears sort of random, though.

yeah, looks like the forum software is trying to insert an ad or something and failing

the quote below contains tw ee ts by El on I had to strip a lot out to get it not to error out.

orders at 180,000 in 24 hours. Selling price w avg option mix prob $42k, so about $7.5B in a day. Future of electric cars looking bright!

Thought it would slow way down today, but order count is now at 198k. Recommend ordering soon, as the wait time is growing rapidly.
Definitely going to need to rethink production planning...

Now 232k orders

I slapped my desk and screamed for joy when he said 115000 last night. Now I just have a Tesla grin.

I did not reserve one, can not afford to buy one today and can not predict if I could buy one come 2018. I will be driving a used Leaf or Bolt or Model S if I am lucky but whatever I do not expect a new car at that point.

My local Tesla store is just a Kiosk in the mall. The mall stores open at 10am, but the mall itself opens at 8am to allow people to walk inside for exercise. I arrived a couple minutes before 8am, and I was #9 in line.

I finished my reservation by 10:10am. I estimate that the line was only 100 people long at that point. A coworker of mine stopped by at lunch time to make his deposit. He reported that there was no longer any line.

They (kind of) changed the rules at the stores on this; had planned to take the morning off to be there when the Chicago (in my case Highland Park) store opened at 10AM local but they had said it was going to be tied to the CA store hours which put that at Noon CST so took the afternoon off --- then they said it would be whenever your local store opens but had already made work related appointments in the AM so went afterwards. According to a few Tesla Forums, my 'store' had about 200 in line when it opened and for the day, perhaps 250. When I arrived at lunch time, no line at all and in and out in about 15 minutes as I had a walk-through of a Tesla S P90D in the showroom. I saw the temporary charge to my credit card and then received my email confirmation about 28 hours later. I've been looking at the other Tesla Forums and lots of speculation about the 'RN' (reservation number) you get via email; no rhyme or reason yet so will simply have to wait a bit longer. This whole media event has really increased the interest in EV's but it has a LOT to do with Tesla's and Elon Musk. I would doubt that the Chevy Bolt will get this kind of enthusiasm and interest but perhaps some will rub off which would be a good thing in general about the future growth of people seriously considering a switch ... I'd have to say at least I'm getting more questions on my now 4+ year old LEAF where as in the past it was kind of invisible; of course it doesn't have the 'presence' of a Tesla so that's part of it ...

I haven't tried to order the Tesla on the website. I may go by to the store tonight if they're still accepting reservations. Seeing the picture of the model 3 makes my LEAF seem incredibly uncool right now :-(

evnow said:
So, did you book a Model 3 ? What is your story ?
I did and posted a brief comment on it in the "Will you...?" thread..
Like you, I didn't expect a huge crowd, maybe 50 people. I had planned to order online but saw some of the TMC forum and Twitter coverage and thought it would be more fun to join the line. My informal poll of the 5-6 people around me in line was they were new to EV's. They knew of Tesla and Volt and Bolt. Wanted a Tesla because of the range and performance. Coming from BMWs, VWs and Prius. Young-ish crowd (relative to me). Mostly 30's, 40's. Good demographic for a new car. Wonder if they can wait 2+ years.
Of course our LEAF is 5.25 years old, 2-bars down. Wonder if my wife can wait that long.

Probably because I arrived early at my store, everyone around me in line was "all-in" for Tesla. Most of them could not afford an S or an X but had been waiting for years for the 3. They were very knowledgeable about the company and the cars. It was actually quite an enjoyable 3.5 hours chatting and being a part of a dedicated EV community.

When I was actually handing over my credit card to place my reservation, the couple next to me were reserving one model 3 and one X. :cool:

I went to Short HIlls Mall in NJ at 6:45AM and I was #8 in line. The girl at spot #1 got there at 2:30AM, at around 7:45AM the line grew to 30 people and at 8:05am they walked on from the parking deck to in front of the Tesla Store.

The doors opened at 10:00am sharp and I was completed by 10:08am, I received my Tesla email at 10:12am.

I pre-ordered only 1

Michael Thwaite who is the President of Plug in America was there and he asked the first 100 people in line if they already owned an EV or if this was their first EV and 85% said this is their first EV!!

That is Amazing!

Sal

Rebel44 said:
From Elons twitter:
253k as of 7am this morning
and another post:
Will give an update tonight for the 3 day total, then last one on Wed for the full week. All efforts focused on accelerating the ramp.

Here's a write up about the Tesla Store where I pre-ordered and I'm mentioned in the story and my picture is at the end.

https://transportevolved.com/2016/04/02/electragirl-tesla-model-3-decision/

Back