Are you planning to reserve Tesla Model 3 ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you plan to reserve a Tesla Model 3

• 31st in the store - Leaf owner

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • 31st in the store - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • 31st online - Leaf owner

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • 31st online - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Later - Leaf owner

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Later - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Not Decided - Leaf owner

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • Not Decided - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Won't Reserve - Leaf owner

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • Won't Reserve - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

evnow

As you know Tesla will unveil Model 3 on March 31st. You can either reserve in a Tesla store after 10 AM on31st or online starting 8:30 PM (all times pacific).

Model 3 is expected to start at $35k and have 200 miles of range in the base configuration.

Tesla has stated that
- people who will opt for more options (at the time of configuration, not booking) will receive priority
- employees (about 10k in the US) will get priority
- Tesla owners (S/X/Roadster) will get priority over non-owners

The reservation will be refundable $1k.

Note : If you own Leaf and another plugin, select one of the Leaf options below.

mwalsh said:
No. Never. Not if I had all the money in the world and it was the only EV that was ever going to be made, EVER.
This is very vague. Can you be a bit more specific ? ;)

Leaf Owner - Would do it in store on the 31st but as more details become available and if it seems that online reservation on 1st would be the same thing (from priority point of view), I'd save the trip.

Now, is there a Tesla owner who can reserve one for me? :)

Good luck with the low price, early models will likely have mandatory options making the MSRP far higher than lower price models to come much later.

My expectation is - a small trickle of 3s in 2017. Entire 2018 will probably be taken up by employees, previous Tesla owners and max options buyers as Tesla slowly ramps up production. Rest of us will get the car only in 2019 - after the $7,500 tax credit is over.

Not planning to reserve. My 2011 Leaf should serve me 2 more years--perhaps a bit more--until it won't fully meet my needs. Will decide what to do then. If price of battery pack replacement has come down or I can get a 30 kwh pack, may very well go that route. Otherwise, will see what is available.

I answered "Won't Reserve - Leaf owner" as I'm 100% certain I'm NOT going to do it March 31st. Heck, if the car is worth considering, I probably wouldn't want to place an order or whatever until the car's been on the road at least 6 months to a year, given what I've seen of the continuing reliability and teething issues w/the Model S and X.

Should I answer "Later - Leaf owner" or "Not Decided - Leaf owner" instead? Does ordering later (possibly in 2018 or 2019) count for these 2 buckets?

cwerdna said:
I answered "Won't Reserve - Leaf owner" as I'm 100% certain I'm NOT going to do it March 31st. Heck, if the car is worth considering, I probably wouldn't want to place an order or whatever until the car's been on the road at least 6 months to a year, given what I've seen of the continuing reliability and teething issues w/the Model S and X.

Should I answer "Later - Leaf owner" or "Not Decided - Leaf owner" instead? Does ordering later (possibly in 2018 or 2019) count for these 2 buckets?

Reserving on the 31st would likely get you that car in a year

EVDRIVER said:
cwerdna said:

Reserving on the 31st would likely get you that car in a year
Well... if any Model 3's were actually delivered at end of 2017, I wouldn't want to plunk down any money until at least middle of 2018 or end of 2018, to see how the reliability and build quality is, up to that point. Even that might be premature.

The Model S DUs still having noise and failure problems (to be fair, the recent failures seem to be more w/ the AWD D models) years after the 1st delivery in June 2012 is troubling. Then there have been contactor problems and pro-active replacements, a few pack replacements, door handle issues, etc.

Sign me up! If there's one thing the last five years have taught us it's that the people who get in first on new EV models are handsomely rewarded!

"Never - Leaf owner" Out of 20 vehicles I have bought/owned, I have only bought one new (first year Honda Element), don't intend to do that again. I let "you guys" pay for the depreciation, then I pick it up for a song, a couple years down the road... ;)

LTLFTcomposite said:
Sign me up! If there's one thing the last five years have taught us it's that the people who get in first on new EV models are handsomely rewarded!
You're being sarcastic, right?

cwerdna said:
You're being sarcastic, right?
:lol:
Maybe just a little!
Let's recap the benefits reaped by early Volt, LEAF and MS adopters:
No pesky manufacturer rebates and dealer discounting
Extra battery degradation
Class action lawsuits, opting out, opting in, etc
No autopilot HW
2 wheel drive only
Drive unit replacements
The relaxed pace of 3kw charging
Paying extra for DC charging capability for stations that never appear or are mostly out of order
Gentle warmth of resistance heat
The list is endless!

Leaf owner - placing deposit in store. For me, the model 3 is highly likely to fix the three biggest deficiencies see in my Leaf:

1) Low range - particularly given I live in the mountains and have cold, snowy winters.
2) Charging network - I cannot go beyond my local metro area with the Leaf. Tesla's SC network would allow me to reach locations beyond my local area that I go to about 1/2 dozen times a year.
3) Battery degradation - Model S owners I know have less degradation as mileage increases than what I've seen in the Leaf's.

The Bolt would be on my list, but the CCS network around me does not allow me to reach the locations I visit regularly in my state. Not to mention its slower charging. The model 3's expected AWD option would also be a BIG benefit for me and I expect it will have a higher quality interior, as well as better looks and performance.

The deposit is low and refundable until you actually configure and order the car, so it's fairly risk free. My biggest decision will likely be deciding between buying and leasing.

Wanted to, but no. With others getting first dibs, and pretty much requiring upgrades to get one sooner, running out the fed credits, I might as well wait for a CPO in 2020, if it's worth it.

Current lease ends Aug 2017 so might as well go one more cycle with a 150-200 mile car that maxs out <$40k fully loaded and still has full incentives. Hopefully Leaf 2 (or eNV200) is here by then, but Bolt will be, and whatever Kia, VW, Hyundai, etc, might have to offer. Probably won't buy out the lease, even if they offer a discount, as I can get by with short range, but would rather not. Plus, I generate a used car for somebody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back