Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid (and BEV ?) CUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Kia is readying a CUV counterpart to Hyundai's Ioniq. Likely to be available in Hybrid, Plugin Hybrid and BEV forms. If true, this would be the first BEV CUV in the "affordable" category sold in all states.

http://insideevs.com/kia-niro-to-debut-in-chicago-plug-in-hybrid-version-planned/

In mid February, at the 2016 Chicago Auto Show, Kia will unveil its Niro crossover (teaser images above and to the right).

Niro is a dedicated hybrid model, built on the same platform as the Hyundai IONIQ.

While only the hybrid version of Niro will be on display in Chicago, a plug-in hybrid (and probably even a BEV) version is in the works.

niro-1.png

FYI the concept car:

kia-niro-concept-photo-538846-s-986x603.jpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/kia-niro-concept-photos-and-info-news#4

It's pretty obvious that the production car will be much more tame as usual.

I was very impressed with the new sportage at the Detroit show, I was wishing that would get the BEV treatment. The quality of the interior and the materials and finish were top knotch. I sat in the Tiguan shortly after and my first impression vs the kia is it felt like I had gone from a Porsche SUV to a geo, hard plastic anywhere.

Hopefully. It doesn't take much visibility to park a car in a showroom, but you need to be able to see out the windows to drive on the streets. I'm tired of these 'Godzilla-Stomped' concept cars. There is nothing inherently ugly about windows!

LeftieBiker said:
Hopefully. It doesn't take much visibility to park a car in a showroom, but you need to be able to see out the windows to drive on the streets. I'm tired of these 'Godzilla-Stomped' concept cars. There is nothing inherently ugly about windows!
+1. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/best-worst-visibility/index.htm

(Full disclosure: Forester owner). AFAIA, the high beltline - low roofline styling motif began with the Chrysler 300. I call this the gangster staff car style, and have never understood how anyone who'd actually driven a car using this style, and tried to see out of it, could find it acceptable. The biggest knock I have on the 1st gen Volt was the awful forward quarter blind spots due to the wide A-pillars. Exiting parking lots must be an adventure, both for the driver and any pedestrians approaching. Haven't tried a 2nd Gen Volt yet.

GRA said:
LeftieBiker said:
+1. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/best-worst-visibility/index.htm

(Full disclosure: Forester owner). AFAIA, the high beltline - low roofline styling motif began with the Chrysler 300. I call this the gangster staff car style, and have never understood how anyone who'd actually driven a car using this style, and tried to see out of it, could find it acceptable. The biggest knock I have on the 1st gen Volt was the awful forward quarter blind spots due to the wide A-pillars. Exiting parking lots must be an adventure, both for the driver and any pedestrians approaching. Haven't tried a 2nd Gen Volt yet.

It's not just there for styling. Part of it has to do with safety and aerodynamics. Doors have been getting bigger, thicker and higher so that they can withstand side impacts better. A pillars have done the same for roll overs. The Volvo probably wasn't designed like that for looks as much as it was probably a compromise. It looks like a 240 based car and the door probably couldn't be changed. I read an interview about the volt that said the small windows and the blacked out trick to make them look bigger were a result of being based on the cruze and having those dimensions dictated to them by the way the platform was engineered for crash tests and as a result of lowering the roof for better aerodynamics they had windows that were too small.

On the aerodynamic front as the rear of cars is getting higher for better aero and fuel economy, the windshields are moving forward with more rake, then back to safety hoods are getting higher to pass pedestrian collision tests (don't think they have them in North America but for any model also sold in the EU they need space between an engine block and the hood). All this means that to have lines that compliment the other area of the car the doors are higher and the window doesn't go as low.

The forester has a huge advantage with the boxer engine they can have a hood that meets pedestrian impact laws that meets the A pillar much lower. They can then also have a high for car but low for CUV door to meet side impact requirements and give you lots of glass. It's also not the best in aerodynamics as it's a CUV (although it is as good as most other CUVs in it's class).

By the way on my leaf I've had a couple of incidents of mystery pedestrians suddenly appear as I turn a few degrees. Blind spots like that can be very unique for each driver for where they sit. My wife screams at me and complains that I must not be paying attention because it doesn't ever happen with her. When I'm at a standard left turn lane waiting with 2 lanes of oncoming traffic the blind spot for me is right where the side walk meets the cross walk and just tall enough for a person to be in.

minispeed said:
GRA said:
<snip>
It's not just there for styling. Part of it has to do with safety and aerodynamics. Doors have been getting bigger, thicker and higher so that they can withstand side impacts better. A pillars have done the same for roll overs. The Volvo probably wasn't designed like that for looks as much as it was probably a compromise. It looks like a 240 based car and the door probably couldn't be changed. I read an interview about the volt that said the small windows and the blacked out trick to make them look bigger were a result of being based on the cruze and having those dimensions dictated to them by the way the platform was engineered for crash tests and as a result of lowering the roof for better aerodynamics they had windows that were too small.
I'm aware of the new rollover requirements making A-pillars thicker, although the windshield rake seems to a have a lot to do with that (see below).
minispeed said:
On the aerodynamic front as the rear of cars is getting higher for better aero and fuel economy, the windshields are moving forward with more rake, then back to safety hoods are getting higher to pass pedestrian collision tests (don't think they have them in North America but for any model also sold in the EU they need space between an engine block and the hood). All this means that to have lines that compliment the other area of the car the doors are higher and the window doesn't go as low.

The forester has a huge advantage with the boxer engine they can have a hood that meets pedestrian impact laws that meets the A pillar much lower. They can then also have a high for car but low for CUV door to meet side impact requirements and give you lots of glass. It's also not the best in aerodynamics as it's a CUV (although it is as good as most other CUVs in it's class).
I think the Cd due to a low rake is as much due to Subie owners' priorities as it is to the Boxer engine. The average Subie owner, myself included, places a much higher priority on how the car works from the inside than how it looks from the outside, and as we are often outdoorsy, we want to be able to look around. We also tend to be safety conscious, as the cars are often bought by people who do a lot of driving in snow, and we're well aware of how easy it is to get in an accident in such conditions. Subaru is very aware of their customer demographic, so they know they can afford to trade some Cd via a more upright windshield (and consequently a thinner A-pillar), if it improves sightlines. And they routinely get the highest crash ratings.

minispeed said:
By the way on my leaf I've had a couple of incidents of mystery pedestrians suddenly appear as I turn a few degrees. Blind spots like that can be very unique for each driver for where they sit. My wife screams at me and complains that I must not be paying attention because it doesn't ever happen with her. When I'm at a standard left turn lane waiting with 2 lanes of oncoming traffic the blind spot for me is right where the side walk meets the cross walk and just tall enough for a person to be in.
The only real problem I had with my Forester was the blind spot to the right front when exiting a driveway nose down; I had to constantly bob my head around the mirror like a turkey in order to to see pedestrians or approaching cars. This was due to a combination of my height and the standard (on the XS trim) auto-dimming mirror with compass.

I knew it bugged me when I bought the car, but took the car home just to see if I could adjust to it. Within a day or two I realized that I wasn't willing to put up with it (I buy a car for the long haul; my Forester turned 13 this month, and barring an accident I expect to keep it for years yet). I'd sat in two Foresters parked side-by-side nose down at the dealer, one with the standard manual mirror without compass, and the other with auto-dimming and compass. The auto-dimming one had a frame that extended around 1/2 - 3/4 inches lower than the manual mirror (for the compass readout and sensors), just enough to block my sightline to the right front. The manual mirror didn't have this issue. I had them swap my mirror for a manual one (they did it at no charge to me, and got an expensive replacement part for their stock). I've never missed the auto-dimming feature (is it really that onerous for people to flip the lever?), and while the compass would have been a nice to have on one or two occasions, I've managed just fine without it.

I suspect over the years the swap has probably saved more than a few pedestrians from close calls if not injuries, and it sure as hell has reduced my irritation level. It's fair to say that I'm more attuned to ergonomics than most, and less willing to put up with minor issues that I know will be long term irritants.

In the near future, even if cars don't become completely autonomous, I expect we'll have unobstructed 360 deg. vision via cameras and (perhaps) video glasses. If it's good enough for the F-35, it's good enough for me!

Will be at the Chicago Auto Show ...

2016-Chicago-Auto-Show-LIVE-2017-Kia-Niro-Hybrid-35-1024x684.jpg

Does look kind of 'tame' and initially 'just' a hybrid but not a bad start; a 50 MPG CUV; not bad

http://autoweek.com/article/chicago-auto-show/2017-kia-niro-electrifies-chicago#ixzz3zy6DGOuF

As I'm planning to go this weekend to the Chicago Auto Show should get a better idea of its scale (I'm sure its bigger than Kia Soul) but how big say compared to other compact SUV's that have just come out (have seen the latest Honda, Mazda and even an Audi Q3 recently on the road). Not sure how something this compact can carry a decent size battery pack, but again if it could hit close to the 30 miles 'pure' EV range could be a contender

Sounds like the Niro will be introduced on the biggest stage of American TV.......the Superbowl! I saw a preview on one of the morning talk shows and it starred Melissa McCarthy?? It was pretty funny, kind of poking fun at the greenies while being basically a very green car :lol:
I'm kind of interested in the PHEV version thats supposed to arrive in September or better yet the BEV version where they are talking about early '18.....
The Niro is based on the Hyundai Ioniq but personally I like the styling on the Niro much better, it's billed as a compact crossover SUV as opposed to the Ioniq's hatchback styling. I also really like the Niro doesn't SCREAM green or look wacky like the Prius Prime which I personally think, along with similarly syled vehicles are UGLY as sin!

A couple quotes from Car and Drivers review of the hybrid:
"starts at $23,785
Called an “un-hybrid,” the Niro combines a hybrid powertrain with a subcompact crossover for the best of both worlds. The interior is roomy, with an elevated seating position for easy entry/exit and a clear view of the road ahead. A gas engine pairs with an electric motor for an output of 139 hp; fuel economy is rated at up to 52 mpg city."

"The latest Toyota Prius has embraced “Space Oddity” styling, but that doesn’t appear to be spurring sales of that hybrid icon. The new Kia Niro, on the other hand, looks like the kind of vehicle that can inspire Americans to trade in their compact or mid-size sedans. The Niro is an approachable and practical, crossover-like hatchback—one that just happens to have a hybrid powertrain and EPA city ratings of up to 52 mpg. Refreshingly straightforward, it has no unfortunate packaging concessions, no bizarre styling, and no weird controls that are different just for the sake of being different (we’re looking at you, Prius shifter)."

"The Niro is built on a dedicated compact hybrid-vehicle platform shared with the Hyundai Ioniq. However, while the Ioniq sticks with a Prius-like Kamm-back profile designed to squeeze the last tenth of a mile out of every gallon of gasoline, the Niro trades off some aerodynamic efficiency for greater passenger and cargo space. For the U.S. market especially, we think Kia made a smart choice. From across the parking lot, the Niro looks like a crossover SUV. Step closer, and it’s clearly lower and more wagonlike."

"It’s a slightly higher-riding alternative to the Toyota Corolla iM or the Ford Focus hatchback, yet it’s lower and more squat than many small crossovers such as the Chevrolet Trax, Honda HR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, or Fiat 500X. Seat height is about an inch and a half higher than that of a typical compact sedan, according to Kia, and slightly lower than the Soul’s—perfect for easy entry and exit. There’s enough headroom and legroom in back for tall adults, and the rear seatbacks flip forward, creating a flat cargo floor."

"The Niro, like Kia’s Optima hybrid, has a four-cylinder engine and a single AC electric motor/generator integrated within a six-speed automatic transaxle. But much is different about both the engine and the gearbox. The engine is a new, Atkinson-cycle 1.6-liter four-cylinder with exhaust-heat recovery and dual cooling circuits for quickly warming up the cylinder head. It makes 104 horsepower and 109 lb-ft of torque, and Kia claims it operates with 40 percent thermal efficiency, a lofty mark on that scale. The six-speed is a dual-clutch unit, with two hydraulically actuated multiplate dry clutches finessing launches and shifts. The combined system output to the front wheels is 139 horsepower and 195 lb-ft of torque. In case you missed any previous hints that this is not a rugged SUV, note that all-wheel drive is missing from the lineup, and there are no plans to add it."

"It all adds up to exemplary fuel-economy ratings: 52 mpg city and 49 mpg highway for the miserly FE version, 51/46 mpg for the LX and EX models at the heart of the lineup, and 46/40 mpg for the Touring models we drove. "

"As with the Hyundai Ioniq, this hybrid version is only one iteration of Kia’s green machine. A plug-in-hybrid Niro is due to arrive next September, and an all-electric variant is expected to complete the family, likely in early 2018.
In the meantime, those who choose a Niro because it is the size and shape they want probably will find a lot of value in this model’s generally pleasant driving experience and roomy interior—not to mention a lot more monetary value should gas prices rise."

or full review: http://www.caranddriver.com/kia/niro

While not a large vehicle I like the fact that it sounds like it's somewhat roomy and again isn't a hatchback or doesn't have the oddball look of most all other PHEV or BEVs, I also like the price point although I'm sure the PHEV or BEV will be more than the $23K+ of the hybrid version but still heres hoping it will be closer to $30k than $40k :)
Very funny commercial:
http://ew.com/tv/2017/02/01/melissa-mccarthy-kia-super-bowl-commercial/

Via ABG:
2018 Kia Niro Plug-in Hybrid revealed, boasts 26 miles of electric range
Has same cargo space as regular Niro, gets 105 MPGe
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/30/2018-kia-niro-plug-in-hybrid-phev-26-miles-electric-range/

. . . When the all-electric range is exhausted, it'll get 48 mpg city, 44 mpg highway and 46 mpg combined. That's actually a bit worse than the regular Niro (51 city/46 highway/49 combined), though that difference isn't as great it might seem given actual gas burned and the all-electric range. . . .

This is all achieved by the addition of a 8.9-kWh lithium-polymer battery pack and a 60-horsepower (44.5-kw) electric motor. This compares to the regular Niro Hybrid's 1.56-kWh battery pack and 43-hp motor.

Despite its greater capacity, the battery doesn't take up any extra interior space, still fitting under the back seat and cargo area. It can be recharged in approximately 2.5 hours using a 240V charger, or in less than 9 hours using a regular household 120V outlet. . . .

Sorry, but no. The Volvo 262C was a Bertone exercise in styling, and had nothing whatsoever to do with safety. The other 260 series cars had normal window height just like the 240 series whose platform they shared. And anything GM says about the Volt concept car now is BS: it was a Camaro concept car with a golf cart drivetrain (literally, not figuratively) slapped into it. GM never planned to produce the Volt, and just used parts they already had on hand. Probably including a used golf cart, since it repeatedly broke down.

Getting back on topic: I wonder if Hyundai/Kia have improved the electric power steering to give it some feel...

Via IEVS:
Kia Niro PHEV Gets Official EPA Ratings – ~28 Miles On Electric In City, 46 MPG
https://insideevs.com/kia-niro-phev-gets-official-epa-ratings/

. . . The Kia Niro PHEV has been officially rated by the EPA at 26 miles of electric range combined and 46 MPG. Total range is some 560 miles.

The breakdown for electric range is as follows:

City: 27.65 miles
Highway: 24.02 miles
Combined: 26 miles
The PHEV composite MPGe figures seen below are not what you’ll see on the window sticker. The window sticker will show a combined MPGe figure of 105. . . .

Moving on to fuel economy, here’s how those numbers break out:

48 MPG city
44 MPG highway
46 MPG combined . . . .

Via GCR:
2018 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid first drive review
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1114356_2018-kia-niro-plug-in-hybrid-first-drive

No AWD available. The electric motor is just 60hp, so the gas engine is likely to be switched on a lot when climbing or accelerating, but should be fine for ambling around town or not-too-fast freeway cruising on the flat. Cargo space is okay (photo with seats folded), and while folding the rear seats doesn't give a flat cargo floor, the slope is small (looks about the same as my Forester, which I've often slept in) and the base is flush with the load floor. The height looks to be shallow as the pack is under the cargo floor. It's a nice looking, small wagon/hatchback, priced from $29k to $35k according to Kia. My impression is that it needs more motor for the U.S. market, and we'll see on the cargo height.

Via IEVS:
2018 Kia Niro Plug-In Priced From $28,840, Build Yours Today
https://insideevs.com/kia-niro-phev-priced-28840/

The all-new Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid will start at $27,900, according to the automaker’s website.

Kia just released the first financing and lease deals for the new Niro Plug-In. The leasing info also reveals the vehicle’s starting price: $28,840 (including destination). . . .

The new Kia Niro Plug-In starts at $28,840 according to CarsDirect. That price represents a steep $4,660 increase over the standard Niro, which starts at $24,180 (including $940 destination). But even though the Niro may be more expensive on the surface, it’s actually cheaper than some of its closest competitors when digging into lease deals.

The base Niro LX Plug-In can be had for $259 per month for 36 months with $1,999 due at signing when factoring in the $4,543 Federal tax credit and allowance of 12,000 miles per year. The Toyota Prius, meanwhile, comes in at $269 per month with the same terms and amount due at signing. The Prius Prime Plus is even more expensive at $349 per month. . . .

The Kia Niro PHEV will arrive at dealerships early in 2018, and will be available in three different trim levels LX, EX, and EX Premium.

Turns out you can build your own Kia Niro PHEV right now. Here’s a link to the configurator. Have at it.
https://www.kia.com/us/en/build/niro-plug-in-hybrid/2018/trims?trim=2&model=765

The EX and EX Premium have base MSRPs of $31,500 and $34,500 respectively, plus the $940 dest. The 8.9 kWh pack weighs 258 lb. (117 kg.), for a pack specific energy of 76 Wh/kg (note, PHEV pack, so not a pure energy battery). Max. power output is 59 kW, for a pack specific power of 504W/kg.

AEB/Lane keeping/Smart cruise control (ACC?) and a rear camera are STANDARD on all trim levels, blindspot detection/Lane Change assist/Rear Cross-traffic alert on the EX/Premium. Cloth seats for the LX, cloth/leather for the EX, leather for the Premium. If you want heated front seats you need to go for the EX or Premium, and a heated steering wheel is only available on the Premium (i.e. only with leather seats). Heated, power folding mirrors with turn signal indicators on the EX/Premium. 10-way power seats on EX/Premium, w/memory on the Premium. LED headlights on the Premium.

Most of the remaining differences between the LX and EX/Premium are appearance, infotainment or convenience, although the Premium does come with a 110V inverter for those tailgate parties or maybe power outages; not sure what its max. power rating is. I could live with either the LX or EX, but would probably opt for the EX to get the heated seats and mirrors (with the cargo cover standard instead of having to pay extra for it on the LX), although I could do without the power seats. None offer AWD, the biggest negative for the U.S. market (and me), and combined HP is only 139 for a car that has a curb weight around 3,400 lb, so performance is unlikely to be exciting.

^^^
This is where Nissan sure got it right! Not only heated seats(all around! at least on my base '13S) but a heated steering wheel, all on the base model!
Personally, I'd rather have a heated steering wheel than seats but would like both, but I DON'T want leather :x

Teaser images here:

Concept for Kia Niro EV all-electric wagon to appear at CES

We've long known that the Kia Niro wagon would get an all-electric version to accompany the 2017 Niro Hybrid and the just-launched 2018 Niro Plug-In Hybrid.

The battery-electric Niro will fill out the suite of six cars sharing the same underpinnings, with the others being the same three versions of the Hyundai Ioniq hatchback, the Niro's sibling-under-the-skin.

On Thursday, Kia announced it would show a "new all-electric concept car" at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on January 8.

While the Niro name isn't mentioned anywhere in Kia's announcement, the shape in the shadowy teaser shots makes the vehicle clear.

Also not mentioned are any specifications or capacities for the future production version of the all-electric Niro.

Kia said only that the concept will show off a "highly efficient battery-electric powertrain."...
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1114583_concept-for-kia-niro-ev-all-electric-wagon-to-appear-at-ces

Not sure how seriously to take the battery capacity report below...
NIRO EV (2018)

CES study shows E-SUV

...Kia offers so far the Niro only as a hybrid and as a plug-in hybrid, with the Niro EV complement the Koreans 2018 the series by a purely electric model. The SUV will be offered in two power levels with 40 kWh and 65 kWh (about 380 kilometers or around 500 kilometers)...
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/niro-niro-ev-2018-alle-infos-zur-suv-studie-auf-der-ces-9554800.html

Via IEVS:
Kia Niro PHEV Test Drive Review
https://insideevs.com/kia-niro-phev-test-drive-review/

As I guessed upthread, the Niro could use a more powerful, smoother, quieter ICE:
. . . Urban motoring on electric power is nice and quiet, with almost zero noise coming from the drivetrain. When the gasoline engine is running, you’ll know it: the 1.6-liter is gruff and loud, especially under hard acceleration or highway cruising. The Niro’s cabin also admits more road and wind noise than the segment average.

Zippy off the line, thanks to the swell of low-end torque from its electric motor, the Niro’s acceleration diminishes notably above urban speeds. Response from the accelerator pedal is direct and responsive, but with just 139 horsepower combined, the car is not especially brisk for highway passing. On the other hand, its very car-like driving experience is a welcome change from some other plug-ins. The steering has a solid heft to it, and the brake pedal is remarkably firm and consistent whether the regenerative or friction brakes are at work. The ride is a little choppy over broken pavement and the Niro can wander a little on longer highway drives, though. . . .

One more first drive review for the PHEV, this time from C&D (my enthusiast mag of choice):
2018 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid
A PHEV that trails the market leader.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-kia-niro-plug-in-hybrid-test-review

. . . The low level of grip from the eco-focused Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires (0.80 g on the skidpad) reveals itself only during spirited attacks on highway on-ramps and the like, although the vague brake-pedal feel is a common—and still discouraging—issue for most hybrids. Notably, different levels of selectable regenerative braking aren’t offered as they are in many rivals.

The Niro PHEV also suffers from some of the same drivetrain-integration issues that bedevil the conventional hybrid. When the car is running in Hybrid mode and the battery enters its charge-sustaining mode, we noticed some surging and hiccups as the vehicle attempts to blend power from the gas engine and the electric motor. The Niro’s six-speed dual-clutch automatic at least does its job well, and it avoids the high-rpm droning often present in hybrids that use continuously variable automatic transmissions.

Running in EV mode with the battery topped off eliminates these refinement issues, but it comes with a big caveat: It’s hard to keep the engine off. Requests for anything beyond mild acceleration will cause the engine to fire up. More annoying is the fact that, because the Kia lacks a resistive heating system like that in the Chevrolet Volt or a heat-pump system like the Toyota Prius Prime’s, if the Niro’s climate control is on, the engine is often running. That might not be an issue in temperate California climes, but during our winter stint with the Niro, emissions-free driving was an untenably cold proposition.

As a result, we averaged just 39 MPGe, well below the EPA’s 46-mpg combined estimate for hybrid driving. Even so, it beat our average of 35 mpg for the Niro hybrid Touring, and the plug-in also achieved 40 mpg in our 75-mph real-world highway test, 1 mpg better than the hybrid. But a Prius Prime Premium achieved 50 MPGe overall in our care and 49 mpg on our highway test. . . .
Note: C&D editors are leadfeet like most writers for auto enthusiast mags, so you can expect to do better in 'normal' driving (unless you normally drive like a C&D editor).

Via ABG:
2018 Kia Niro PHEV Review | More MPG than an SUV, less weird than a hybrid
Plug-in hybrid crossover should strike a just-right balance for many
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/18/2018-kia-niro-phev-review-quick-spin-plug-in-hybrid/

. . . Compared to a typical, disconnected-feeling PHEV throttle, the Niro PHEV's throttle is perfectly normal, leaving Sport to those moments when you want a little extra zest from your plug-in hybrid (such a moment never seemed to arise). One can assume this is due to the larger battery that allows for greater electric input even when the plug-in battery range is depleted. When filled to the brim, it offers an EPA-estimated all-electric range of 26 miles, a figure I bettered by 1 mile during my evaluation route. That's nearly half of what you can get out of a Chevy Volt or Honda Clarity PHEV, but is similar to the Toyota Prius Prime and Ioniq PHEV. . . .

Specifically, I'd wager it would be an attractive choice for urban-dwelling young couples who only have one car and like getting out of town for the weekend. You know, the ones every little SUV is marketed to. It may not satisfy the more rugged needs of certain crossover buyers (it's front-drive only and ground clearance stands at a modest 6.3 inches), but it maintains most of the benefits the majority of buyers actually care about.

That includes cargo capacity. I managed to fit two midsize check-in suitcases and two carry-on rolling suitcases into the cargo area with some room to spare for a duffle bag. That matches the Subaru Crosstrek and betters the Hyundai Kona, which left two of those suitcases behind. On paper, the Niro's 19.4 cubic feet behind the back seat is actually closer to the Kona, but by being boxier, it's ultimately more functional. Plus, with its traditional hatch and long, flat roof, the Niro is better suited to mounting bike racks or roof boxes than one of those slug-shaped cars.

In terms of passenger space, a pair of 6-footers should be able to fit front and back. Headroom is plentiful. There should also be enough space for a rear-facing child seat to fit on one side, but don't quote me there, I was eyeballing it. So, although exceedingly large strollers and other baby-supporting accoutrement may overwhelm the Niro, I think those urban-dwelling young couples could manage to lug around a child for a little while. And hopefully Kia has cooked up a Sorento PHEV by the time kid No. 2 arrives.

As for the price, the PHEV starts at $28,840, including destination, and tops out at $35,440 for the loaded EX Premium — there are no options. That compares to $24,280 for a base Niro and $32,940 for a top-of-the-line Touring, but those aren't eligible for the $4,543 federal tax credit you'd get with the PHEV. Do the math, and that either cancels out the PHEV's price premium or actually puts you in the green, and that's before any state-level rebates that might be out there. Translation: The PHEV is not only cheaper to run but probably cheaper to buy too.

Now, the engine is a little louder and gruffer when it finally comes to life, and the overall driving experience is best described as "indifferent." Those hardly seem like grave concerns given the bar set by both plug-in hybrids and subcompact SUVs, but it is something to consider if there's room for only one car in your garage. Something zestier (Ioniq) or refined (Clarity) could be appreciated . . ..

Back