Gogoro Gears Up For Launch Of Battery-Swapping Electric Scooter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via ievs:
Gogoro Gears Up For Launch Of Battery-Swapping Electric Scooter
http://insideevs.com/gogoro-gears-launch-battery-swapping-electric-scooter/

Gogoro, after a successful rollout in Taipei, enters Europe with its Smartscooters (see description), which are equipped with swapable lithium-ion batteries.

Sales of Smartscooter will begin in Europe next year and thecompany intends to launch a battery swap network.

The first market will be Amsterdam in early 2016.

Range of the scooter is up to about 60 miles (nearly 100 km), but if you have several places to change batteries, then you are basically free of range anxiety.

Of course, using the battery swap stations require membership and a fee for renting batteries, but we didn’t spot the detailed offer yet. . . .
I think this makes a lot of sense for apartment dwellers for urban use, who can't take their scooters in side with them to charge. Of course, an e-bike with a lighter removable or swappable battery would also work, but for those who don't wish to peddle at all this is a better choice. It's somewhat odd that Amsterdam is the first choice, though, as they have the 2nd highest rate of bike use in any European city (Copenhagen is #1), and a mode shift from bikes to powered scooters would be a step backwards.

Back